We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 416 Posts
    I'm trying to update Modx Evo 1.0.14 to 1.1. After uploading the zip file and unzipping it, I got a server 500 error on both the front-end and the manager. I never got to running the install. Just unzipping the files resulted in the 500 error.

I checked the .htaccess file, didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

I restored all the files from my backup, created just prior to the unzip and the site came back.

I thought perhaps the unzip function failed somehow so I manually uploaded the unzipped files. I uploaded the assets folder, check the front-end, all good. Same after uploading the manager folder. However, after uploading the install folder, the 500 error returned.

Just for kicks, I checked to see if the installer would run and that page came up. I started the install, all the pre-checks were good, so I started it. It confirmed the status on all the extra updaets, then stopped. I tried the manager login, that page appears, but I can't login. It just returns to the login form with no errors.

Now I just noticed that the hostmonster server is running php 5.2.17. Might this cause all of this trouble? If not, anyone have any thoughts about what's going on?

• 953 Posts
      Please post this on GitHub - that way you will get an answer quicker and it will probably be from one of the DEV team

I am not sure if 1.1 has a minimum PHP version
      • 5.2 is not suitable for Evo 1.1 anymore as far as I know. At least managermanager needs 5.4
          • 416 Posts
          Iusemodx, thanks for the tip. I will post it on Gihub.

Jako, I figured as much, but what is weird is this server error happened before I ran the install, I had just unzipped the files.
            • 7 Posts
            I don't know if this will help you, but I found this post.
            (Oops, now I see I'm 3 weeks late for the party, but maybe it will help someone anyway.)