We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 24,544 Posts
    I'm glad you got it sorted. Thanks for reporting back. smiley
      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
      My MODX Extras
      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
      • 17 Posts
      Hi Bob, I am having the exact same issue. I get the message Fatal error: Call to a member function getMessage() on a non-object in /hermes/bosnaweb22a/b2424/nf.toburn/public_html/toburn.ca/modx/core/model/modx/modmanagercontroller.class.php on line 623 when I try to login to my manager. It was working fine the last time I used it, I was away from it for some time and when I went back to it and tried to login this is what I get.

I have emptied the core/cache through my my control panel, and have uploaded the installation files to try to do a reinstall and see if that corrects the problem. During the setup I get the following errors

Checking if /hermes/bosoraweb174/b2424/nf.toburn/public_html/toburn.ca/modx/ directory exists: Failed!
      Checking if /hermes/bosoraweb174/b2424/nf.toburn/public_html/toburn.ca/modx/manager/ directory exists: Failed!
      Checking if /hermes/bosoraweb174/b2424/nf.toburn/public_html/toburn.ca/modx/connectors/ directory exists: Failed!

I am at a loss as to what else to try.
        • 24,544 Posts
        Check the paths and URLs in your core/config/config.inc.php file.

Have you renamed and/or moved any of the MODX directories?
          My MODX Extras
          • 17 Posts
          the paths appear to be correct from what I can tell, although I am no expert on any of this. I have not renamed or moved any of the modx directories. I have simply uploaded the zipped file and unzipped it. I did run into problems moving the files into the core path so contacted the provider for help. This was their reply for what they did.

I have taken the backup of the webdirectory /public_html/toburn.ca/modx/ to /public_html/toburn.ca/modx_old/ from our end. Then, I unzipped the file 'modx-2.4.3-pl-sdk.zip' to the folder 'modx-2.4.3-p' and then copied those file to overwrite the existing files in the webdirectory /public_html/toburn.ca/modx/. However, the website http://toburn.ca/modx/manager/ is still loading same error. I suggest you to contact the application vendor regarding the issue.
            • 24,544 Posts
            It could be a permission or ownership problem with the MODX directories.

I think your actual error is in this file:

core\model\modx\processors\system\registry\register\read.php

Does it exist, and does it end with this line:

return $modx->error->success('');
              My MODX Extras
              • 17 Posts
              Yes that file does exist and end with that line.
                • 24,544 Posts
                Ok, I thought that file might be truncated, but apparently not.

The first thing to try is manually deleting all files in the core/cache directory and clearing your browser cache and cookies (or using incognito or private mode in the browser).

The next thing to try would be to follow the steps described here. That will put the correct files in the right places and setup should definitely find them.

My MODX Extras
                  • 17 Posts
                  Hi Bob,
                  I've manually deleted the files in the core/cache directory and clearing my browser cache and cookies and still nothing, so I'm attempting to follow the steps you've outlined for upgrading and now I'm running into another issue. I'm good up until step 12 where I'm trying to extract the files in the zip file to the root directory... I'm getting an error message saying "Error: Failed to properly move files". Looking in the file manager I can see the setup files have extracted, and I see an index.php there again, but that seems to be about it.
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    Did you maybe forget to be at the MODX root (where the manager and connector folders are) when you zipped them on your local machine?

Did you put the zip file you created in the directory you want as the MODX root directory of the remote site before attempting to extract the files?

My MODX Extras
                      • 17 Posts
                      Yes I was definitely at the MODX root when I zipped them on my local machine, and I put the zip file in the MODX root directory on the remote site.

I really seem to be having issues with this particular host. I've done this many times with another host that I use all the time with no issues at all, just this one seems to be a real problem. It doesn't allow me to merge the files for some reason. It ignores anything that is already there by that file/directory name and only will put in what isn't already there.