We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 416 Posts
    I just completed a fresh install of Modx, installed updater, front-end got a 500 internal error, manager was working fine. There were no errors in the modx error log, but the host tech support found this error:

[08-Jun-2015 08:24:40] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION, expecting ')' in /home3/xxxxxxx/public_html/imagespigot-2015/core/cache/includes/elements/modplugin/7.include.cache.php on line 147

When I uninstalled updater, the page started working again.
      • 24,544 Posts
      What plugin has the ID of 7?

It's not a bad idea to disable all plugins during an upgrade.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
      • Updater has a plugin inside. Maybe it has an issue in the last release.
          • 60 Posts
          Hey Terry,

I can't see from your error line if the *7.include.cache.php* is one of Updater's 2 plugins. You either need to look in the manager, section plugins, which plugin has the id 7 (the number in parenthesis). Or you can copy the first lines of the suspect file - it will show the plugin cached there.

I wonder how this can happen - a parse error should show up on my IDE, and all other systems... But let's see.
            • 416 Posts
            I just reinstalled updater. When I view the front, this error appears in the error log on the server. Nothing in Modx error log.

[09-Jun-2015 06:32:00] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION, expecting ')' in /home3/xxxxxxx/public_html/xxxxxxxx/core/cache/includes/elements/modplugin/10.include.cache.php on line 147

Plugin10 is Update Notifier

• 60 Posts
              Hmm... cannot reproduce. Can you please take a look into that cache file and send the lines around 147? There shouldn't be a parse error there.

Which PHP Version are you running on in what environment?
                • 416 Posts
                I deactivated all other plugins except notifier, error still occurs.

Line 147 begins with: function($v) {

/*
                until now this strange reformatting is necessary because package controller
                returns nonsense and we did not touch it in updater class
                */
                $package_names_update = array();
                $tmp = $updater->getPackagesUpdateList();
                if (isset($tmp) && !is_null($tmp)) {
                $packages_names_update = array_map(
                function($v) {
                return ($v[0]['name']."\t > ".$v[0]['signature']);
                }, $tmp
                );
                } else {
                return;
                }

PHP Version 5.2.17

System
                Linux box745.bluehost.com 3.12.35.1418868052 #1 SMP Wed Dec 17 20:04:02 CST 2014 x86_64

Configure Command
                './configure' '--build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' '--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' '--target=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' '--program-prefix=' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr' '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include' '--libdir=/usr/lib64' '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec' '--localstatedir=/var' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--with-config-file-scan-dir=/etc/php.d' '--cache-file=../config.cache' '--with-libdir=lib64' '--with-pic' '--disable-rpath' '--disable-debug' '--enable-inline-optimization' '--without-pear' '--with-bz2' '--with-curl' '--with-exec-dir=/usr/bin' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr' '--with-png-dir=/usr' '--enable-gd-native-ttf' '--without-gdbm' '--with-gettext' '--with-gmp' '--with-iconv' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr' '--with-openssl' '--with-pspell' '--with-libexpat-dir=/usr' '--with-zlib' '--with-layout=GNU' '--enable-exif' '--enable-ftp' '--enable-magic-quotes' '--enable-sockets' '--enable-sysvsem' '--enable-sysvshm' '--enable-sysvmsg' '--enable-wddx' '--with-kerberos' '--with-unixODBC=/usr' '--enable-shmop' '--enable-calendar' '--with-mime-magic' '--with-sqlite' '--with-libxml-dir=/usr' '--with-system-tzdata' '--enable-pcntl' '--enable-static' '--enable-force-cgi-redirect' '--with-imap' '--with-imap-ssl' '--enable-mbstring' '--enable-mbregex' '--with-mcrypt=/usr' '--with-mhash=/usr' '--with-tidy=/usr' '--with-ncurses' '--with-gd' '--enable-bcmath' '--enable-dba' '--with-db4=/usr' '--with-xmlrpc' '--with-ldap' '--with-ldap-sasl' '--with-mysql=/usr' '--with-mysqli=/usr/bin/mysql_config' '--with-mysql-sock=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' '--enable-dom' '--with-pgsql' '--enable-soap' '--with-xsl=/usr' '--enable-fastcgi' '--enable-pdo' '--with-pdo-odbc=unixODBC,/usr' '--with-pdo-mysql=/usr' '--with-pdo-pgsql=/usr' '--with-pdo-sqlite=/usr' '--with-pdo-dblib=/usr' '--enable-json' '--enable-zip' '--with-readline' '--enable-dbase'
                  • 416 Posts
                  I just updated this on another hosted server I use for testing. This works fine. No errors.

PHP Version 5.4.40

MODX Revolution 2.3.3-pl (sdk)
                  • PHP 5.2 does not like anonymous functions: http://php.net/manual/en/functions.anonymous.php
                      • 416 Posts
                      I just installed updater on my modx cloud server.

Modx 2.3.3pl

PHP Version 5.4.41

The front-end loads just fine here but this error appears in the modx error log.

[2015-06-09 08:51:33] (ERROR @ /paas/c1458/www/core/model/modx/modelement.class.php : 467) PHP warning: file_exists(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(updater/elements/plugins/updater.notifier.plugin.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/paas/c1458)

This appears in the dashboard widget.

Problems with update check
                      Can not determine latest version on github.
                      Nevertheless, your current version is v2.3.3-pl