We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 24,544 Posts
    http://wiki.modxcms.com/index.php/What_is_mod_security_and_how_does_it_affect_me

The only way do deal with it is to contact your host, but if the clean install works, it may not be mod_security.

If making the user a sudo user makes it go away, it's a permission problem -- most often caused by the user not having a Context ACL entry giving them access to the 'web' context.
      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
      My MODX Extras
      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
    • Unfortunately, this is the kind of hosting provider (the client choose) that is hard to contact and unwilling to support with the above.

Is there a way to export all settings, resources, etc. from the old site and import it in a new, fresh install? That would be the only solution I'm afraid.

MODx is a serious fine content platform, but upgrading is painfully complicated sometimes when things don't go as they should. I am an ambassador, but I hope we will see less of these kind of issues.
        • 24,544 Posts
        Agreed, especially on an unfriendly host.

You could try using Vapor, which moves a Revolution site from one server to another, though it might have trouble if there's a problem with the site.

If you have cPanel access at both ends, you should be able to follow these steps:

1 - Export the old site's DB to a .SQL file in PhpMyAdmin
        2 - Install a fresh version of MODX at the new site (be sure it's the exact same version!)
        3 - Zip up all files on the old site, skip the files or directories below:

setup/ (whole dir)
                core/cache/ (whole dir)
                core/config/config.inc.php
                config.core.php (modx root)
                manager/config.core.php
                connectors/config.core.php

4 - Transfer the .zip file to the new site
        5 - Unzip the files at the new site so that they end up in the right places
        6 - In PhpMyAdmin, select the database and "import" the .SQL file.
        7 - Run setup at the new site (make sure "Upgrade mode" is checked)

The last step may not be necessary, but it can't hurt.

There's a slightly different method described here: http://rtfm.modx.com/revolution/2.x/administering-your-site/moving-your-site-to-a-new-server. It assumes that you don't create a fresh install, transfer the config files, then edit them all, which can be tricky to get right.

FYI: MODX Friendly Hosts

I would be curious to know if SiteCheck would help you fix the current site, but I can't guarantee that it will. It might, though, and it's a good thing to have around. If, for example, your problem is the result of a character set mismatch or a date/timezone issue, SiteCheck will tell you about it.

[ed. note: BobRay last edited this post 9 years, 2 months ago.]
          My MODX Extras
        • Ok, thanks for the explanation. Only this is not moving to a new host/server, just an upgrade.

So far, no solution. I will look into it further by trying to migrate to a test environment to see if upgrading there works. Keep you posted.
          • About that date/timezon issue: I do get a 'fatal error' when I try to go to the setup folder:
            FATAL ERROR: MODX Setup cannot continue.

I 'fixed' it by putting this in the index.php file of the setup folder:
            @ ini_set('date.timezone', 'Europe/Berlin');

I also found these issues:
            1. Installing is a bit slower than usually.
            2. After installation, the setup folder is not deleted (the content is, so the folder is empty).
            3. The core/config/config.inc.php file always has the wrong permissions: 626 (instead of 644).
              • 5,888 Posts
              sounds like an owner (php/ftp) - issue
              The php-user and the ftp-user should be the same (php running in cgi-modus)
              And all files and folders should have the same owner.
              Maybe you need to change that with chown.

Otherwise, if you upload files by ftp, php might have not the permission to delete the setup-folder and overwrite folders and files, which was uploaded by ftp.
                -------------------------------

you can buy me a beer, if you like MIGX

http://webcmsolutions.de/migx.html

Thanks!
              • Ok, I'm clueless what to do. I tried and retried everything that is mentioned in the various troubleshootings (so including emptying cache, compress_js and compress_css to 0, file permissions to 755 of folders, checking paths, etc.). [ed. note: handjes last edited this post 9 years, 2 months ago.]
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  If the ownership or permission on the files is not correct, you may not have been able to overwrite the old files with the new ones.

Clearing your browser cache *and cookies* is also something to try. A leftover cookie can cause rendering issues in the Manager.
                    My MODX Extras
                    • 19 Posts
                    I am having a similar problem with a site I upgrade to 3.2. The resource tree did show up in chrome but not firefox. So I was search the forum and came across your issue, and also an older one that mentioned that when they logged in without the www part of the url it worked. I tried it and it worked form me. I am not sure what would cause this but thought I would post to see if it might help you at least get into your manager. And maybe someone else might have some insight on what needs to be fixed.
                      • 24,544 Posts
                      Have you uncommented the part of the .htaccess file that forces either www or non-www URLs? That's important because if the user comes in on one and is somehow transferred to the other, session data is lost and the user may not have the rights they need.
                        My MODX Extras