We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • I updated a (rather normal) site from 2.2.16 to 3.2. I did the usual tasks, like logging out, clearing cache, checking config files. After the upgrade the site runs fine, and I'm able to login to the manager. But the resource tree is missing, part of the layout is missing and menu's are not working (nothing loads after clicking an item). The manager says: Undefined on top of the page.

I tried rolling back (even to 2.2.15) and reinstalling. Also tried upgrading to 3.1 first: same problem.
      • 1,572 Posts
      log into the database via something like phpmyadmin and set compress_js and compress_css to 0 and then delete the cache via ftp ( core >> cache )
      • Both didn't work as well. Sorry, forgot to mention.
          • 118 Posts
          What do you see in the Net panel of the Developer Tools (F12 in Firefox or Chrome)? Are there any failed requests that could help narrow down the cause of the issue?

Does the Undefined error report the file name and line number? If not can you enabled more detailed error reporting?

Did you clear the cache from the Manager or manually from the server?

I had a vaguely similar issue recently, can't remember the exact detail but it turned out to be the browser cache. Made no sense but fully clearing it resolved the issue.
          • All requests are loaded ok (Status: 200 Ok), except for this image:
            /manager/undefinedassets/ext3/resources/images/default/s.gif

The Manager displays 'Undefined' at the top, with no further explanation.

compress_js and compress_css are set to 0. I cleared cache both through the manager and FTP. I logged out from the manager. I tried other browsers and systems with no effect.

Updating to 2.2.15 and 2.2.16 was no problem. Updating to 3.1 or directly to 3.2 is a problem.

BTW: The only problem I found in all occasions when accessing /setup was a 'fatal error'. I solved it by putting this in de setup/index.php file:
            @ ini_set('date.timezone', 'Europe/Berlin');

BTW 2: in the Manager in version 2.2.16 are two odd called menu items: 'topnav' and 'usernav'. Don't know if that means something.
              • 24,544 Posts
              It sounds like you've tried all the usual fixes (you might try incognito mode if you haven't yet). A leftover cookie can cause all kinds of weird problems.

Disabling plugins would usually be the next step.

Also, check the paths in the config files (or let SiteCheck test them for you).
              config.core.php (modx root)
              manager/config.core.php
              connectors/config.core.php
              core/config/config.inc.php

It's possible that either some files didn't get overwritten when you transferred the files, or that you have one or more corrupted or missing MODX files, which is fairly common if you transfer the files individually with FTP.

You might also look at the network tab in chrome dev. tools or Firebug to see if all the requests are getting 200 responses.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
              • See above, most has been tried. I also tried disabling the plugins, using other browsers, and downloading/uploading the files again and again.

The problem is narrowed down to going from 2.2.x to 2.3.x. Going from 2.2.15 to 2.2.16 is not a problem at all. Going from 2.2.x to 2.3.x causes the problems.
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  The only thing left I can think of is a problem with mod_security.

You might try a clean, empty install of 2.3 on the same server to see if it has the same trouble.
                    Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                    Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                    MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                    My MODX Extras
                    Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                    • 173 Posts
                    Handjes did you ever figure this out? I'm also having issues.
                      Everything I know I learned on the internet. Saved me thousands in College tuition,
                    • Quote from: BobRay at Jan 30, 2015, 06:35 AM
                      The only thing left I can think of is a problem with mod_security.

You might try a clean, empty install of 2.3 on the same server to see if it has the same trouble.

Could you elaborate on the mod_security issue?

Clean install works fine.