We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 38 Posts
    Thanks for replying nuan88, thanks for heads up on the error log, sometimes when we're rushed and busy we forget such things to debug the situation wink

I am going to look further into the issue today quickly re-running and upgrade setup to see if this fixes the issue (even though i am pretty sure when i first set this up, same exact problem where no "remove thread" or "move" options displaying existed).

I have been able to set user as a global mod ONLY via having the member as part of a regular modx user group and linking in discuss settings as an admin group there. In the system settings for discuss otherwise, not working. AND regardless for super admin account (set as admin for forum too) - no buttons for moving or removing threads. Obviously there are some configuration issues, I think ...

Beyond rerunning the setup hopefully in attempt to clarify paths [if that does not fix I will dig and try to quickly trace paths in the component, etc etc etc (i am just really low on time perceivably for awhile)], I am going to set up a completely fresh from scratch modx install and then addon a fresh discuss.

Will update here.
      • 38 Posts
      Re-ran upgrade setup.. no fix.

YES Problems in log,

(ERROR @ .../connectors/index.php) Path specified for package discuss is not a valid or accessible directory: .../core/components/discuss/model/
      [2014-08-16 20:52:36] (ERROR @ .../connectors/index.php) Could not load class: disUser from mysql.disuser.

The interesting thing is that this path either on the production or local enviroment is specified as the local path ex. C:\site/connectors.. On bringing this into production, the paths weren't changed. And even on local install, is the path wrong??

Actually looking at the folder structure the discuss contents are actually in /components/discuss/model/discuss/model/discuss - the model folder holds the discuss folder and a recaptcha??

So, there is obviously something majorly wrong with the path configuration (on install) preventing it from grabbing users, possibly? Everything else works fine on the forum, except the crucial "remove thread" "move thread" functionality and for manager locale text missing to remove threads?!.

Getting to be a pain in the butt here...

The more I am looking at some of the database table and all of the above, my assumption is still that the package available on modx extras is not the latest and just plain broken.

--------------------
      3PC: Discuss
      --------------------
      Version: 0.1
      Since: December 16th, 2009
      Author: Shaun McCormick <[email protected]>

A native, threaded forum solution for MODx Revolution.

This is an alpha prerelease. Therefore, things might break. But have fun. smiley

Honestly, allow me to vent, this is ridiculous. I think I tried Discuss back in 2009 and gave up on it for similar reasons. It's almost 2015 and this thing has not been updated, fixed or out of "alpha prelease" - yet I see on modx forums some discussion how this is pretty much the modx standard approved add-on solution for forums... Talk about dropping the ball. Totally disappointing. and yet I see modx officially seemingly perfectly operational? Hmmm.

UPDATE: Pushing further testing (and investigation) tomorrow on new installation... [ed. note: giantcarrot last edited this post 9 years, 6 months ago.]
        • 24,544 Posts
        Check the discuss namespace, particularly the core path ('path' in the DB).
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 1,154 Posts
          Hey GC:

Don't worry, we will work this out. I have never seen this error before, so I wonder what is going on. Let's figure it out.

The default board moderators is a value in system settings > discuss, on the first page, and that's where I put my staff's user accounts, they have the right privileges. But, I did try to give myself the privileges too by putting my user name there, and it doesn't seem to work. So this might be a bug, but let's remember there are many ways to skin a cat.

There is also the global moderator's list, on the second page of settings for discuss, so far I haven't used that one.

For the error you are talking about, BobRay's advice is presumably right, but also in discuss system settings the SSO section is important, it tells MODX where the forums are, that could be your problem perhaps.

Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly how I did things, you might want to go into the manager and go to components > discuss > users and see if you should make the user to have extra privileges there.

Yes, Discuss is a little frustrating, and we are all waiting on Discuss 2, which should fix a lot of these issues. Patience my friend smiley
            • 38 Posts
            A) @BobRay - thanks for the tip - i did check the db and yes it was incorrect, it was set to:
            /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/modxprojects/Discuss/assets/components/discuss/

which has nothing to do with my environments and must have been set on install..

i quickly just changed this path to reflect many of of the other components paths, ex.
            {assets_path}components/discuss/

No effect/fix.

B) Additional errors noted:
            - 'modifying' - modify button, personal msgs shoots error:
            Fatal error: Class 'disThread' not found in ..
            [sitepath]../core/components/discuss/controllers/web/messages/modify.class.php on line 44

- rss on main forum shoots error, doesn't work otherwise

- modx manager > extras > discuss > threads
            1. right click on listed thread (text should say delete, no txt) can still select and it will delete thread here
            2. search functionality doesn't work

- "mark as read" button on forums not working

C) @nuan88- thanks, Yes I have placed the superadmin account and added other members in the default+global discuss system settings, as well the admin group settings that links to users in the base modx user groups (did get other members here to be mods but still no move or delete thread options) -- all set w/ privileges, etc. It's got to be a path issues relating to db, the settings and db are not parsing and updating or processing...

discuss system settings the SSO section is important, it tells MODX where the forums are, that could be your problem perhaps.
            SSO Mode is set to 'Yes', you can post on forums, can modify posts (but not pms)

D) I don't want to completely abandon Discuss, because I would like to fix so at least I could use the personal messaging system, which has a innate private threading/messaging function that would suffice.

Any ideas, just keep tossing to me here and i'll plugin, check etc. I will also hopefully be able to have some spurts of focused time where I can concentrate and dig over the next couple days
            before I abandon or look for other solutions or build my own from scratch.

Thanks for the help.
              • 24,544 Posts
              The 'path' field should be set to: {core_path}components/discuss/
              The 'assets_path' field should be set to {assets_path}components/discuss/
                Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                • 38 Posts
                The 'path' field should be set to: {core_path}components/discuss/
                The 'assets_path' field should be set to {assets_path}components/discuss/

yep- they are (see attached screen)
                  • 1,154 Posts
                  Ok, I can't help with the paths so keep going.

"Mark as Read" problem is probably related to this bug I fixed here:

http://forums.modx.com/thread/91011/js-errors-in-fresh-install#dis-post-499509

The file to change is in the footer of wrapper.tpl, the main page template. The http causes the browser to not get the proper java file.

Its related to a lot of javascript things, like words in text boxes (Title, username, password) that should disappear when the user clicks on the text box to insert their info, and the question/discussion button selection, and other things too. Its weird because some things will work but others will not.

I just checked my install, and mark as read worked fine.
                    • 1,154 Posts
                    I should tell you, there is another slightly newer version of Discuss at github, I am pretty sure it hasn't been integrated into the regular discuss package. And I know when you uninstall it won't delete the data in the db, you have to do that manually, if you need to start over. Here is the link, its easy to install: https://github.com/modxcms/Discuss/blob/develop/_packages/discuss-1.2.2-dev.transport.zip

One word of warning, there is a bug in making new boards, and it can screw up your ordering. The bug doesn't really look all that difficult but its beyond my ability. So what I did is made a whole bunch of categories and boards first, keeping many of them as inactive, and while the bug popped up during that time, I don't have to worry any more. However, that also meant I had to remove the link in the user profile page which is about preferences, as it shows all categories, even inactive ones!

Any other problems, just ask.
                      • 38 Posts
                      I should tell you, there is another slightly newer version of Discuss at github,

Yes I downloaded that, no fix.

nd I know when you uninstall it won't delete the data in the db, you have to do that manually, if you need to start over.

Yes, I just uninstalled, and the actual forum data is still in db (no big deal, it [EDIT: EXCEPT for the p.i.t.a. system settings!] should be saved anyway for the sake of retaining)

However, by uninstalling discuss... forum still is up, it removed zero files! (except maybe the transport file, as it i actuallu forced removed option uninstall and nothing beyond that file was removed!)

If you ask me having Discuss even listed with so many holes and problems is really festering sore for modx.

My next step, right now (I uninstalled, which actually didn't uninstall it as I mentioned, directly on my production site). Going to delete all the Discuss folders under assets and core, etc, drop the discuss table and then try reinstalling directly on the production site.

I will then check the aforementioned db table paths, etc. If it doesn't work then..... Not good. But we'll see... update shortly.

PS. I am going to fresh install the github copy. [ed. note: giantcarrot last edited this post 9 years, 6 months ago.]