We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 40 Posts
    Using this layout, with subforums for both Revo and Evo, it would be pretty easy to see where you should post.
      • 24,544 Posts
      Looks excellent to me. smiley
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
      • I am planning on implementing many of the changes here with some slight modifications which I will share in a bit, however, I have a few questions I'd like to get other people's opinion on.

Regarding General, General Support and Webworker Lounge: I get the Webworker Lounge entirely. I think I see "General Discussions" as a valid place for people to talk about non-MODX stuff. What, though belongs in General Support? What types of things are there? What kind of support is the MODX Community providing that doesn't relate to MODX? I just can't see personally what the value of to completely off topic boards will have. This is not a negative comment on it but rather a request for someone to provide me use cases here.

I think i18n should be version specific since Evo and Revo have two separate i18n platforms and teams. If there is an argument to have these combined into a single board, I'd like to hear it.

I am torn about Extras. Do they belong in their own top level board with subboards or should they be in the boards with the related products? I.e. do you talk about developing Extras for Revo withouth it being related to Revo?

Or does Extras development go into the MODX version boards and then Extras support boards stand alone?

Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
          • 24,544 Posts
          I agree that we can do without "General Support". All it does is attract version-specific support questions from people who don't know where to put them.

Similarly, I thought MODX 101 was a good idea, but in retrospect I no longer do.

I think Extras (both development and support) should be under the boards of their related products. The more we can do to keep people from using Evo extras in Revo or asking Evo questions on a Revo board (or vice versa), the better.

If we're guiding people down the path to getting an answer, the first question, and the first branching of their decision tree, should be Evo/Revo, imo.

One last point. I think it would help if the topic descriptions were more prominent and maybe placed in a header for any page that shows posts in a topic. Many MODX users don't understand the difference between 'development' and 'support'. A user who is "developing" a menu using Wayfinder may ask a question in the Wayfinder development topic instead of the support topic. We need to make it very clear what those are for.
            My MODX Extras
          • BobRay,

Thanks for the input. Your points make a lot of sense. I agree with the prominence of the descriptions too. We probably need to make them more visible in the scheme of things. Fewer boards == easier choices. Revo vs Evo == fewer choices. Too, I think it might be good to have some sort of first logged in visit post for people. This can provide them with simple guidance of how to post.

I also think we need to revisit building up the forum moderators community and related communications to help foster a gardening and cultivation ethos where we can ensure the right posts are in the right places, and we do light work of many hands tending the garden over time rather than it getting so weedy we want to till the whole thing. (That metaphor has been sufficiently squeezed to death).

I'll be back with my notes on a proposed restructure today.
              Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
              • 24,544 Posts
              And a massive salary proposal with full benefits for moderators and frequent posters of solutions, right? wink
                My MODX Extras
              • I am still waiting on the massive salary, too. All I can offer is to try to make the free work people do, easier and ideally, even fun.
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  Sounds good to me. smiley

You can start by killing the default checking of the "email me" checkbox whenever you modify a message. It's unbelievably annoying for me, Susan, and probably lots of others.

Even better would be a profile setting: "Never send me email -- I get too much already!"
                    My MODX Extras
                  • BobRay, can you let me know what you mean by the default checking of email me? I actually think the reason you see the "email me" checked is because the modify post view is the same as new post view and for the OP it's the default behavior to have new replies send emails to the OP. Are you getting emails every time you modify someone elses post? I do not. I modify posts on a daily basis.
                      • 24,544 Posts
                      This was true before I was a moderator and is still true. If I modify a post of my own, the "email me new replies" checkbox is *always* checked. If I uncheck it, save the modified post, and then decide to modify it again, the box is checked again.

If I don't remember to uncheck the checkbox every time I modify one of my posts, I get an email every time anyone leaves a post in that topic (potentially, about 100,000 emails).

I'd say that I modify at least 30% of the posts I leave, often more than once. I estimate that I've unchecked that little box at least 5,000 times -- probably closer to 10,000.

I'm begging you to let me stop having to do that. wink

My MODX Extras