We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • There is no reason these Russian Extras couldn't set up for translation at Crowdin. Crowdin said for all OS projects, they will provide free accounts for up to 10 projects. We've found an incredibly dramatic uptick in the translators and have in less than 1 month added 6 languages to the MODX lexicons (though in varying state of completion).
      Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
      • 79 Posts
      Yeah, I agree, the minishop2 is really a nice and helpful extra and it will be great to have a translation at Crowdin as a project. Also the pdotools, etc.
        peace&love / bike&ride
      • I've arranged for a translator for Hebrew. How would I get Hebrew added to the MODx lexicons project?
          Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
          Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
          Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
        • Quote from: sottwell at Jul 19, 2014, 04:11 AM
          I've arranged for a translator for Hebrew. How would I get Hebrew added to the MODx lexicons project?

Susan, are you looking for a Hebrew translation of Revo? All they need to do is get a Crowdin account and send an email to the project requesting it. We'll then create the language space and it's then just a matter of them replacing strings.
            Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
            • 1,145 Posts
            Just the past two days, I finally gave up on Articles, perhaps forever.
            It was awesome while it lasted, but it failed to follow the MODx principle of freedom.
            The ArticlesContainer and Article class_keys too transformed the resources, it was hard to work with them from say NewsPublisher or some other personal customization.
            In fact, it had been refusing to let me empty the content area of the Containers.

I wanted something more MODxy.

For me Articles was like buying a new PC and having Internet Explorer as default browser.
            It was my only window to the world, and it worked fantastically, but then it became my very bane, the insurmountable cross.
            Then I found Chrome and Firefox, or should I say MIGX and Collections...

I am using Collections now, but would like to move over to MIGX, for more freedom.
            And that unknown Russian addon, modxtalks seems to be unbelievably awesome (but loads far too many scripts). I think Quip would be nice too were it more modern.

Articles can easily be replaced I think.
              TinymceWrapper: Complete back/frontend content solution.
              Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
              5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.
              • 384 Posts
              Quote from: donshakespeare at Dec 06, 2014, 07:11 PM
              Just the past two days, I finally gave up on Articles, perhaps forever.
              It was awesome while it lasted, but it failed to follow the MODx principle of freedom.
              Articles can easily be replaced I think.

I think it's a real pity that Articles development has stalled a bit and there seems to be talk of retiring it. At the time it was announced and greeted with great enthusiasm. Although I can't find any supporting references, people were referring to it as a WordPress killer. It was embraced by MODX users (myself included).

I have 1 particular client who loves Articles and has approx 13 Articles blogs on a single site. We invested a lot of time and effort in recommending Articles to them over Wordpress and they trusted our judgment.
              Now I have to start thinking of ways to get this client off Articles and the best way to rebuild their entire site.

This is a classic case of Extra abandoment and highlights the dangers of leaning too heavily on a particular Extra.

For the record, I still think it's a great Extra and beautfully implemented in terms of UI / MODX backend. Obviously, Tags and Categories should have been inbuilt from the start.
              • It will likely be possible to have something Articles-y with Collections, getResources, Tagger etc. when 2.4 comes out which has Extras dependencies. The missing piece at this time is an import from WP tool.

Articles was developed by Shaun McCormick who left MODX and has moved onto another phase of his career. From what I understand he doesn't work on MODX at all. He was a prolific developer of Extras and the loss of such a prolific developer was, no question, a challenge. We sought out people to take on the projects as maintainers and few stepped forward to undertake managing many of his Extras. We do our best at MODX to try to make sure his extras do not become non-functional, however, it's not possible to both work on new projects and add new features and fixes to old projects. Articles doesn't need to go away for those that like it, but it does need a maintainer. And that maintainer needs to be a developer.

• 75 Posts
                  For me the best replacement for Article is Tickets. It is developed by the same guy who created pdoTools.

Tickets is more than just a blog system - it is blog+comments.
                  Thus you don't need quip or modxTalks (this one looks pretty but a bit buggy and slow in development).

Unfortunately Tickets is not translated to English and do not presented in the modx repository, thus the only way to install is to follow these steps:
                  1) Install the repository http://modx.com/extras/package/sdstore
                  2) download the Tickets component

Here is the link to the documentation on Russian http://docs.modx.pro/components/tickets/interface/create-partition-with-tickets ((

What is the best about this extra? It is fast, very clear and native in installation and usage, not buggy at all. It goes with pdoTools and bootstrap by default so already adapted to all devices.

It would be really great if somebody could translate documentation to English.
                  • It would be even better if it worked. Installing the sdtore then selecting it results in a popup error
                    An error occurred while connecting to the Provider: Пожалуйста укажите пароль.
                      Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                      Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                      Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                      • 1,145 Posts
                      Installed sdStore but tickets won't install, says "invalid data".

Seems sleek though. Sleeker if it worked.
                        TinymceWrapper: Complete back/frontend content solution.
                        Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
                        5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.