We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 45 Posts
    OK, here's the scenario:

I want to move my MODx Evolution 1.0.13 site to a different server. So I download all the files, then upload them to the new server (making sure to change the values in config.inc.php). Then I export the database, and import it into the new database.

The site looks great. No hiccups there. But then when I go to log into the manager, the login page just refreshes. When I put in incorrect info it lets me know, but when it's correct there is no error, but no dashboard either. Just the same screen.

I know this problem is not uncommon, and I've been looking at various solutions and surfing around for a few hours, but nothing seems to work. Is there another value I need to change in a file or in the database?

Any ideas? I even re-uploaded all the files, with the same result. Please let me know what you think!
    • Did you run the installer/setup after uploading the files?
        Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
        "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
        Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
        • 45 Posts
        Yes, I've tried that to no avail. Any other thoughts?
          • 1,198 Posts
          Nicola (Banzai) Reply #4, 10 years ago
          Check again your db connection settings in the config file
          The "working site" in frontend could be just the sitecache
            Free MODx Graphic resources and Templates www.tattoocms.it
            -----------------------------------------------------

MODx IT  www.modx.it
            -----------------------------------------------------

bubuna.com - Web & Multimedia Design
            • 45 Posts
            No, there's definitely a connection there. I made a small edit in one of the resource titles in the database, and it was immediately reflected on the site.

Any other ideas before I pull my hair out?
              • 928 Posts
              Is the PHP version the same as before?
              ;) KP
                • 45 Posts
                I would assume so. It's the same hosting provider, just a different account.
                  • 8 Posts
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    If you haven't already, try clearing your browser cache and cookies. A leftover cookie can cause trouble. Another thing to try is searching the database for the domain name of the old domain you moved from.

The only other thing I can think of is that you ran short of memory during the install. That can cause corruption that prevents you from logging in.
                      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                      My MODX Extras
                      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                      • 45 Posts
                      @mcnickel - I appreciate it, but this is Evo that I'm dealing with here. As far as I can tell, there is no sessions table.

@BobRay - I've been clearing cache and cookies pretty regularly while trying to figure this out. It's actually the same domain name as before, only this time MODX is in a subdirectory and I have htaccess rewriting everything to the domain. At first I thought this might be causing the problem, but it has the same behavior whether or not htaccess is enabled.
                      I did find the old path in modx_system_settings, sys_files_checksum. I updated the paths in this value, but it didn't seem to help.

If something did get corrupted, how would I recover from that? I've already "upgraded" 1.0.13 several times, but it doesn't seem to help.

It looks like I'm almost to the end of my rope! What would y'all do in this situation? Is there even a way to migrate resources to a new install? My client is waiting on me to add time-sensitive things to the site. (!)

Thanks for your suggestions!