We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,624 Posts
    Quote from: rthrash at Apr 30, 2008, 01:27 PM

MODx could produce the data needed to drive OpenLazlo projects, just like it can produce the XML needed to drive flash UIs. It would not be a trivial process though.

I know it can do that. The problem is how do you transform that xml into flash on your page.

I installed OpenLazlo and I’ll try to see if I can figure something out.
    • Using the XML in a Flash project is a Flash issue. Not being a Flash guy, I have no idea! There are several community members who’ve done it successfully though. Good luck!
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 5 Posts
        MODx could produce the data needed to drive OpenLazlo projects, just like it can produce the XML needed to drive flash UIs. It would not be a trivial process though.
        Interesting! That’s the way I thought about it: Having a modx-backend (i.e. manager)for the house-keeping and content-management in the narrow sense plus some modules, for db-access for instance, but the output would be something "flashy" and web-app like, not just jumping from page to page...
        I think this could be done in several ways: by generating xml instead of html with modx, or by directly accessing modx-db-content-tables.
        What are the main issues which make this task so difficult?
        • From an open laszlo perspective, getting the documentation out of them to effectively replace their JSP data servers.
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 5 Posts
            From an open laszlo perspective, getting the documentation out of them to effectively replace their JSP data servers.
            You’re right! I just checked the docs and well: for a full fledged integration you would need to replace a lot of that JSP J2EE stuff to mimic a laszlo-server. For a 100% replacement you would have to mimic tomcat with PHP which is, I think, impossible.
            But I was just thinking about the user-interface, which might be realized using a "solo" laszlo app. This, of course, reduces the flexibility and features of this "mixed platform" significantly, but I think there is more than one situation/requirement where the resulting "ease&charm" of the resulting UI would pay off. And, well: laszlo was just an example, I expect more (and not so java-burdened) platforms in the future...
              • 141 Posts
              1. Less is more. MODx admin interface should be more clean and organized. Moreover the project website should eliminate any hype or buzzword and focuse on documentation and support. An updated list of MODx powered web sites should be added. Don’t forget that the best promotion for a web app is made by its happy users on their blogs.

Hard to believe such an amazing online community for modx but three years later after this post, the old school manager templates are still included in the install package.

I still think modx is the best because of its flexibility and great online community. grin
                • 206 Posts
                Hey, let me give a new mean for >Rethinking< MODx, by requesting a very simple addon for the Manager:
                I can imagine a shoutbox there.

For an active working community, it will be the chat.
                For admin users forming a team from the distance, it will be the chalkboard.
                For me, it’s gonna be my TODO. cool

This feature may deserve a new, "Social" tab on the Home page, which also shares some different feeds of choice (including a new, "open modx channel" for prompt cases).
                • I like that idea. I think a chat/notes area would be an excellent add-on option. You should post this in the Wishlist section, it will probably generate more discussion there.
                  • That would be a module, then. I don’t see it as being part of the core installation.
                      Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                      Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                      Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                      • 24,544 Posts
                      Quote from: sottwell at Jun 07, 2010, 08:37 PM

That would be a module, then. I don’t see it as being part of the core installation.

I agree.

BTW, it’s not my area, but I think it would be much easier to implement in Revolution as a Custom Manager Page or a popup in the console.
                        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                        My MODX Extras
                        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting