We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • It's worthwhile to note, that not all installations that benefit from turning compress_css and compress_js off indicate that the server is not MODX friendly.

I have seen it go both ways, on the same server. Update or move MODX and suddenly the manager is broken. Turning off the compression solves it. So you assume the server can't handle it. But wait, there are 4 other sites running on the same server, on the same version that have compression set to on.

Sure the server itself may indeed be part of the issue, but at least in my experience, not always. A corrupt install, or configuration is likely as well.
      Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
      "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
      Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
      • 98 Posts

Quote from: frogabog at Apr 25, 2013, 09:47 AM
      I have seen it go both ways, on the same server. Update or move MODX and suddenly the manager is broken. Turning off the compression solves it. So you assume the server can't handle it. But wait, there are 4 other sites running on the same server, on the same version that have compression set to on.

IMHO, this is voodoo. Unexplained and unreliably repeatable errors kill client interest and faith, as they should. The MODX and hosting folk had better figure out what's happening.

Quote from: frogabog at Apr 25, 2013, 09:47 AM
      Sure the server itself may indeed be part of the issue, but at least in my experience, not always. A corrupt install, or configuration is likely as well.

On the same hosting service, I have seen the described Manager problem for four cases: (a) 2.2.5-pl installed via Setup with add-ons and my own resources included, (b) 2.2.7-pl virgin-installed (i.e. without add-ons or my resources) via the service's Softaculous script installer, (c) 2.2.6-pl installed via Setup with add-ons and my own resources included and (d) 2.2.7-pl installed via Setup with add-ons and my own resources included.

I believe that I can rule out corrupt installation because I have installed Revo versions afresh so many times, yet still observe the same problem.

Having pursued moving my Revo site to this new hosting service for more than two months now, I believe I have dealt with the possible configuration issues, too. However, I would gladly report the config as the Manager sees it, and I would gladly try this Forum's expert tweak suggestions. Is any reader of this post up for that?

Meanwhile, the Manager's transient allocation of >= two gigabytes of virtual memory just doesn't seem reasonable. So I am looking into profiling the Manager's memory use. I've never gone "under the covers" of a significant PHP application. I'm wondering what tool(s) to use. Googling suggests Xdebug/Webgrind, Memtrack or XHProf. Have any recommendations? [ed. note: halfnium last edited this post 11 years ago.]
        I looked just like that in 1964.