We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 34 Posts
    I really need help!

I just upgraded my MODX Rev. site from 2.2.6-pl to 2.2.7-pl via the Installatron Applications Installer. Something must have been corrupted, but I don't know where. I remember that I used the manager just after using the Installatron but before running the Setup at the Manager URL. It worked fine for a while, then I noticed my mistake and that the upgrade wasn't complete. Some errors started showing up so I performed the upgrade again. This time I finished the Setup and everything showed that the update was complete and without errors, but the problems I had experienced remained. These are the problems:

The front end works fine, but every action in the manager shows me the following error message:

syntax error:
    Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

What's worse, I can't see any of my resources from the manager (the list section at the left shows a blank) and even if my elements show in the view, I can't see their contents (this time a full blank screen under the header is the only thing shown). Some actions just clear the page under the header or make the links unresponsive, while the syntax error window keeps showing.

The resources and elements are there, though, since everything in the front end is working fine, but I can't manage it!

I tried cleaning the contents of the core/cache directory, but the problems continued.

Then I tried restoring my backup and returning to the previous version, but even when everything returned to the previous configuration, the errors and the problems persisted. I tried upgrading again and even when I got no errors or messages during the upgrade, the problems remain.

There are no errors on the log file. My PHP Version is 5.2.17 and my server runs LINUX.

Please help!

This question has been answered by multiple community members. See the first response.

• 24,544 Posts
      The first thing to try is logging out, deleting all files in the core/cache directory, and clearing your browser cache and cookies.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 34 Posts
        Quote from: BobRay at Apr 12, 2013, 01:15 AM
        The first thing to try is logging out, deleting all files in the core/cache directory, and clearing your browser cache and cookies.

I just finished doing everything you said in that order, but the problem remains.

Is there another place where the corruption may have taken place? The problem is only affecting the Manager.

Thanks for answering!
          • 34 Posts
          I just renamed all the folders and restored one of my backups into clean folders, but the problem remains. I'm suspecting that the problem lies in the database. The restore is also supposed to replace the files from the tables, but I'm wary of touching those. Should I do the same I did with the database files or does someone else have a better idea?
          • discuss.answer
            • 135 Posts
            I know you said there wasn't anything in the MODX error log, but does anything show up in the Apache error log? Internal errors would not be logged by MODX, but they would be logged by Apache.
              • 34 Posts
              Quote from: wingnutty at Apr 12, 2013, 03:43 AM
              I know you said there wasn't anything in the MODX error log, but does anything show up in the Apache error log? Internal errors would not be logged by MODX, but they would be logged by Apache.

Hmm... I found the following, but I can't say how relevant these are or if they are a consequence of what's happening:

[Thu Apr 11 22:33:11 2013] [error] [client 187...] (12)Cannot allocate memory: couldn't create child process: /opt/suphp/sbin/suphp for /.../public_html/connectors/security/user.php, referer: http://www.<mysite>.com/manager/
              [Thu Apr 11 22:33:11 2013] [error] [client 187...] File does not exist: /.../public_html/500.shtml, referer: http://www.<mysite>.com/manager/
              [Thu Apr 11 22:33:11 2013] [error] [client 187...] (12)Cannot allocate memory: couldn't create child process: /opt/suphp/sbin/suphp for /.../public_html/connectors/resource/index.php, referer: http://www.<mysite>.com/manager/
              [Thu Apr 11 22:33:11 2013] [error] [client 187...] (12)Cannot allocate memory: couldn't create child process: /opt/suphp/sbin/suphp for /.../public_html/connectors/resource/index.php, referer: http://www.<mysite>.com/manager/
              • discuss.answer
                • 135 Posts
                Are you running under a shared hosting account, VPS, or dedicated server? What is the value of memory_limit in php.ini?

Any chance you can upgrade PHP? PHP 5.2 is ancient and it was EOL'd almost 3 years ago. If you can hop on 5.3 or 5.4 that might fix it.
                  • 34 Posts
                  Thanks for your answer. Yes, it is a shared hosting account. The memory value in php is as follows:

“memory_limit = 128M"

I can upgrade to 5.3 and maybe even 5.4, but it was working fine with 5.2 before I messed up the upgrade. But if you think it's necessary...
                    • 135 Posts
                    128M should be more than enough, unless there's some kind of unterminated loop or recursion going on in those processors. But it points to a server issue - perhaps it's overloaded with too many accounts (which is not uncommon with shared hosts).

Are you running an opcode cache (Xcache, eAccelerator, APC)? Is suhosin installed?

In the MODX settings, are compress CSS/JS enabled? What about the concat_js setting? Try disabling all of those and see what happens.
                      • 34 Posts
                      Quote from: wingnutty at Apr 12, 2013, 05:07 AM
                      128M should be more than enough, unless there's some kind of unterminated loop or recursion going on in those processors. But it points to a server issue - perhaps it's overloaded with too many accounts (which is not uncommon with shared hosts).

Are you running an opcode cache (Xcache, eAccelerator, APC)? Is suhosin installed?

In the MODX settings, are compress CSS/JS enabled? What about the concat_js setting? Try disabling all of those and see what happens.

Not running any opcode cache or suhosin as far as I know, but I don't know if they are part of the standard hosting package. Is there a way to confirm this?

Unfortunately, the list of System Settings inside MODX manager returns a blank. Where could I check for those settings manually?

Oh, and I managed to upgrade to PHP 5.5, but everything still shows the same! [ed. note: pcamelo last edited this post 11 years, 1 month ago.]