We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 38 Posts
    Hi all I am having trouble and have gotten a little frustrated, hope someone can help me make some progress on this form.

I followed the instructions from here to the letter: http://rtfm.modx.com/display/ADDON/FormIt.Examples.Simple+Contact+Page

The form appears but doesn't seem to do anything at all. When I put in info and hit enter, the info just disappears and the form remains, doesn't matter if all fields are filled in or not. And the captcha doesn't appear, but I just want to get the form working right now, I can worry about the captcha later.

Let me try to explain what I did which may help others and will organize the sitation.

1. I installed FormIt
    2. I made a snippet called SnippetTag using the code provided.
    3. I edited the snippet to put in my email and the page I want to redirect to.
    4. I made a contact form using the code provided, without any changes at all.
    5. I made a chunk called MyEmailChunk which is for the email I am supposed to receive
    6. I created values for the formit.recaptcha_public_key and formit.recaptcha_private_key using the google service.

Now, let me explain because I am doing something screwy. The instructions on the main page of FormIt tell me to put the snippet that I made right in the resource.
    Simply place the FormIt snippet call into the Resource that contains the form you want to use.

So, that means the snippet call goes right in the contact page I made using the code provided. But, if I do that it leads to a internal server error and the page will not display. How is that possible in this simple example? Where does the snippet go?

Also, the captcha isn't displaying, which I don't know what's going on. The code has captcha as a hook, there is code in the contact form that seems to deal with the captcha, but it doesn't appear at all. One thing with the two recaptcha keys is that I don't know what field name to give them, or whether that matters.

I noticed some people had trouble with an "@" symbol in their snippet, so I took that out and it didn't help.

I know this is a pretty simple question, sorry for being a n00b. Can someone point me in the right direction?

This question has been answered by multiple community members. See the first response.

• Try using my FormIt tutorial and let me know if you get stuck.
        Benjamin Marte
        Interactive Media Developer
        Follow Me on Twitter | Visit my site | Learn MODX
        • 38 Posts
        Quote from: benmarte at Apr 02, 2013, 03:53 PM
        Try using my FormIt tutorial and let me know if you get stuck.

Thanks so much it looks really good, I will check it out!
        • discuss.answer
          • 24,544 Posts
          If all you need is a simple Contact form, you might also look at SPForm, which will create a working contact form on installation (make sure you don't already have a Contact page, or just rename the page title and alias before installing SPForm). If you already have a "Thank You" page, do the same for that.
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • 38 Posts
            Install and go? That's my kind of solution! Yup I just need to let people send me their email and a short message, with a simple anti-spam soution, that's it.

I will definitely check it out and provide feedback here. I didn't even hear about SPForm because its not in the forums under "forms"...
              • 24,544 Posts
              Thanks. It is now. I don't think all those categories existed when it was submitted.
                My MODX Extras
                • 38 Posts
                Quote from: BobRay at Apr 03, 2013, 03:11 AM
                Thanks. It is now. I don't think all those categories existed when it was submitted.

Hmm I still don't see it there. I looked under "forms" in the add-ons section of the forums, it has 3 grey boxes for EForm, FormIt and mxBuilder.

Maybe you found a better place for it, not sure.

Anyway, no worries, again I will feed back with results/process or something...
                  • 38 Posts
                  Ok SPForm looks like a great solution, it was really easy and is already working, I need to get it styled next.

I will write up a new post going through the steps for SPForm, as I didn't find much on these boards.

Thanks benmarte for the advice, and thanks BobRay for the easy solution.
                    • 38 Posts
                    Oh one more important question if I could BobRay, I need to change the text that appears such as "Please enter your comments below. Click "Submit" when done:", because it needs to be in a foreign language, but I can't seem to find where that content is. I checked the "spformTpl" chunk which is where I expected to see it, but it seems not, perhaps its in something called the [[+spf-subject-prompt]]??

Could you tell me where this info is so I can change it? I looked at every SPForm chunk and snippet...
                      • 24,544 Posts
                      The content is in the language files. core/components/spform/lexicon/

There are five languages there now (en, ru, es, nl, and de). You can select one with the &language property in SPForm and it will use that language for all messages. You can create another language if necessary by just copying the files and doing a translation. If you do that, let me know so I can add the translation.

The quick-and-dirty fix is to just go to System->Lexicon Management, select the spform namespace and modify the language string by double-clicking on the text (enter-comments is the one you want). You'll need to clear the site cache for you changes to show up. Your changes will survive upgrades of MODX and (I think) SPForm.
                        My MODX Extras