We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 24,544 Posts

1. user accessible lexicons

2. I think this is really more of a request for more granular control of lexicon editing, which could be accomplished now with an add-on.

3. Clustered ACLs: ACLs are just one big list. I would love to see the, structured in clusters of functional groups, like "editing resources" or "managing users" etc.

4. Good idea. In my MODX 3 ACL suggestion, the Manager permissions would be a separate system, which would help some.

5. Form customization synced for "create" and "update": A way to change settings for "create" AND "update" at the same time, like a third option for doing both at the same time. Minimizes the nagging work of keeping the user-interface in sync. And: FC should be "server side only", not a JS solution!

6. IMO, FC needs to go back to its original form, which allowed controlling any field of any form. At the least, it should have settings for read_only status, visibility, default value, and some kind of easy constraint system. Display order would also be nice, but difficult to implement properly.

7. Replacing "update" with "edit" in the core lexicon: "update" is for software/extras, "edit" is for values. Right? ;-)

8. Absolutely

9. A search for chunks/snippets in the elements tab: VERY helpful with looong element trees.

10. Fine with me.

11. Where did I use this chunk/snippet? I often wonder, if a chunk is used in a resource or any other place. So it would be great to get a list like "where is this chunk used (if at all)?" Same for snippets. This could be triggered my a menu or by a context menu link of an element.

12. This is devilish to implement and would probably be slow -- but nice to have.

13. A quickedit inside the code like "quickedit this tpl-chunk that the getResources call I am working on right now is using".

14. Nice, but I can't imagine how to implement it, since there's no easy way to identify an element named in a tag, unless we changed the property syntax to something like &tpl=`{$myTpl}` or &tpl=``#myTpl; or forced everyone to use standard property names. The first one would be cool if it was optional, but it would break almost all existing sites.

15. A better way to structure the resource editing page, like ordering TVs, repeating blocks of TVs (like "text, image, caption" as a block. Think MIGX here.). I would love to have a customized sequence of fields for every resource template.

16. I think this falls under Form Customization.

17. While we are here: Less "allways there fields", like "description", "longtitle" etc.

18. Same as above.

19. Content should be a TV or: "Every TV should be content."

20. I'm not sure what this means. Taking the content Resource Field out of the Resource and splitting it among the several TV tables in the DB seems like a bad idea. TVs carry a *lot* of baggage and you wouldn't want that baggage attached to a resource field.

21. No right clicks for quicke edit wink because I often kill my edits this way. This part is to be taken lightly and humorous although I realy curse on this a lot. Right click is cool and it's not at the same time. wink

22. No comment. wink

23. A media manager that is capeable of long filenames and remembers my last position in the file tree. When having long trees of files this is a lifesaver. I have trees of more than 100 folders and scolling to "You drive me crazy" (yep, the movie) about 20 times is really driving my crazy.

24. Long filenames +1. Better navigation and remembering where I was -- definitely.

25. Less frameworks like ExtJS in the manager, more plain HTML/CSS with a little help of a sleek JS framework. Talking jQuery here. Don't kill me!

26. I'm curious to see what happens with this, though I hate ExtJS as much as the next guy. Whatever the solution, some people aren't going to like it. wink

27. Extend the MODX tag-syntax for direct resource fields access like the extra "fastField" does. I see such an ultraflexible solution inside the core. Creative freedom, you know. wink

28. Do you mean something like [[*pagetitle? &id=`12`]] ? I think that would be relatively easy to implement, though it would slow down page loads somewhat, especially if it's extended to TVs. Or am I misunderstanding you?

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
      My MODX Extras
      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
    • Thank you for adding your ideas to mine!
      Quote from: BobRay at Apr 07, 2013, 08:37 PM

6. Where did I use this chunk/snippet? I often wonder, if a chunk is used in a resource or any other place. So it would be great to get a list like "where is this chunk used (if at all)?" Same for snippets. This could be triggered my a menu or by a context menu link of an element.
      This is devilish to implement and would probably be slow -- but nice to have.
      This funtion would only run on request, so it might take some time but not as long a me clicking through all the elements manually. wink

7. A quickedit inside the code like "quickedit this tpl-chunk that the getResources call I am working on right now is using".
      Nice, but I can't imagine how to implement it, since there's no easy way to identify an element named in a tag, unless we changed the property syntax to something like &tpl=`{$myTpl}` or &tpl=``#myTpl; or forced everyone to use standard property names. The first one would be cool if it was optional, but it would break almost all existing sites.
      Just think of it as an "inspector palette" where all used elements of the resource/element that is just being edited would be listed. This way it could work with ANY editor – and should be an AJAX solution ("collect while write").
      The problem of "How does the inspector know untagged elements like tpl-chunks in getResources" could be solved by a "who uses what database" where all those cases are listed (e.g. tpl for getResources or innerRowTpl for wayfinder). This database could be something like "gracenote" is for music. And it should support user entries where one can teach the inspector what to look for. That would be helpful in the case that some item is not yet supported by the database.
      But the question could also be this: How does the MODX parser know what to do? Maybe the parser could make a "cold parse" just to find all those used elements and stuff.

14. Extend the MODX tag-syntax for direct resource fields access like the extra "fastField" does. I see such an ultraflexible solution inside the core. Creative freedom, you know. wink[/li
      Do you mean something like [[*pagetitle? &id=`12`]] ? I think that would be relatively easy to implement, though it would slow down page loads somewhat, especially if it's extended to TVs. Or am I misunderstanding you?
      Yes, that would be an awesome extension for TVs, Bob! And it would not slow the system more down then it already happens when you use getResourceField or fastField. [ed. note: mindeffects last edited this post 11 years, 1 month ago.]
        MINDEFFECTS – DESIGN for PRINT, WEB and MEDIA
        http://twitter.com/mindeffects · http://www.facebook.com/mindeffects · http://www.youtube.com/mindeffects/ · skype://mindeffects_oliver
        • 24,544 Posts
        Quote from: mindeffects at Apr 07, 2013, 10:51 PM
        Thank you for adding your ideas to mine!

14. Extend the MODX tag-syntax for direct resource fields access like the extra "fastField" does. I see such an ultraflexible solution inside the core. Creative freedom, you know. wink[/li
        Do you mean something like [[*pagetitle? &id=`12`]] ? I think that would be relatively easy to implement, though it would slow down page loads somewhat, especially if it's extended to TVs. Or am I misunderstanding you?
        Yes, that would be an awesome extension for TVs, Bob! And it would not slow the system more down then it already happens when you use getResourceField or fastField.

What I meant was that the parser would have to do a little extra parsing on *every* resource content tag on *every* page to see if it had the property, which would be more time-consuming than just calling getResourceField when you need it. Whether that's a reasonable price to pay for the rare occasions when you need it depends on how long it takes. The parser is already processing the tags to check for output modifiers, so the overhead might be minimal.
          My MODX Extras
        • Quote from: BobRay at Apr 07, 2013, 08:37 PM
          The parser is already processing the tags to check for output modifiers, so the overhead might be minimal.
          I think this overhead would really be minimal. But there could also be a special tag syntax for those "get the stuff somewhere else" tasks. The extra "fastField" uses such.
          To be honest, I like your suggestion much better since it used an already known syntax. How would you do the chaning (use of output modifiers) with your syntax?
            http://twitter.com/mindeffects · http://www.facebook.com/mindeffects · http://www.youtube.com/mindeffects/ · skype://mindeffects_oliver
            • 24,544 Posts
            The existing syntax rules already cover that. All output modifiers go between the field name and the properties.

[[*introtext:default=`Introtext is empty`? &docId=`12`]]
              My MODX Extras
            • Quote from: BobRay at Apr 08, 2013, 06:03 AM
              The existing syntax rules already cover that. All output modifiers go between the field name and the properties.
              [[*introtext:default=`Introtext is empty`? &docId=`12`]]
              Am I the only one smelling a fine solution coming up? Sweat! Still I would prefer "&id" over "&docId".

One thing left is the question, if there should be a syntax for "prepareTV" and "processTV". Maybe it could be done with the "+" symbol, like:
              prepareTV: &id=+13
              processTV: &id=++13
              This reads as "+ = do more" and "++ = do much more".

Since this might not be the ultima ratio, anyone having a better proposal drop a line here.
              • Quote from: BobRay at Apr 07, 2013, 08:37 PM

• Where did I use this chunk/snippet? I often wonder, if a chunk is used in a resource or any other place. So it would be great to get a list like "where is this chunk used (if at all)?" Same for snippets. This could be triggered my a menu or by a context menu link of an element.

This is devilish to implement and would probably be slow -- but nice to have.

Agree on both the occasional usefulness of such a feature and the difficulty of implementing it. One idea I'd had is a simple hit counter for chunks and snippets. If you needed to get an idea of what's being used, reset the counters, turn it on, crawl the site, then look at the hit counts for all your elements. Granted, on complex sites a simple crawl wouldn't necessarily hit all the used elements, but it would help you considerably narrow down your search for unused ones, in addition to providing some interesting profiling information. Plus I don't think it would be that hard to implement.
                  Extras :: pThumbResizerimageSlimsetPlaceholders
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  Are you thinking of injecting a tag or code for the hit counter into the code of all snippets and chunks? Otherwise, you'd never see the ones pulled in code with getChunk() or runSnippet() and everything retrieved with getObject(), getCollection(), getMany(), getOne(), getIterator(), getObjectGraph(), etc.

With MyComponent, for example, there are a zillion chunks, none of which would ever be called with a tag. All are usually retrieved with

getObject('modChunk', array($nameAlias => $name));

Good luck parsing that to get the chunk name. wink Worse yet, the chunks are never displayed (they're used to write files), so a hit-count tag in them would never be parsed and the unparsed tag would end up in the files. If they're PHP, JS, or CSS files, the tag would probably ruin them.

My MODX Extras
                  • Quote from: BobRay at Apr 08, 2013, 08:33 PM
                    Are you thinking of injecting a tag or code for the hit counter into the code of all snippets and chunks?

No, obviously this'd be something best done at the system level, like within the xPDO class or something. I don't have much of an idea as to how to actually do that, only that it doesn't seem prohibitively difficult. After all, those methods you list can retrieve an element, right? So why couldn't they—depending on a system setting maybe—also increment a corresponding counter in a 'hits' table while they're at it?
                    Admittedly this is the roughest of all possible ideas. I just thought I'd throw it out there!
                      Extras :: pThumbResizerimageSlimsetPlaceholders
                      • 24,544 Posts
                      I've lobbied for an editedon field for elements, maybe there could also be an "accessedon" field. The problem with the latter, though, is that you don't care that much about a little time spent when saving a resource or element, but if you have a page where 100 elements are accessed, you care a lot if you have to write to the DB for each one of them every time that page is visited.
                        My MODX Extras