We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Quote from: rx2 at Feb 07, 2014, 04:44 PM
    Quote from: markh at Nov 19, 2013, 08:36 PM
    Would anyone dare to make a mockup/spec of how CC could be made context sensitive, without losing the current features and breaking backwards compatibility?

I am unfortunately just a "user" rather than a programmer so I have no idea.

As a user looking for context awareness in ClientConfig, how you would want that to work is definitely a very important perspective that is required to look at an implementation.

Context-aware CC would be difficult. While it does load the key->value pairs into the $modx->cofig array for using in code, it only emulates system settings tags by using + as the prefix for its own placeholders, thus allowing the use of [[++value]] as if it were really a system settings tag.
    I think that's exactly how the core makes settings available too wink
      Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
    • For some reason I find that offensive!

Line 541 of modx.class.php
      $this->setPlaceholders($this->config, '+');
      [ed. note: sottwell last edited this post 10 years, 2 months ago.]
        Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
        Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
        Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
        • 157 Posts
        Hi Mark,

I'd suggest that the UI should become an extra tab on the Context settings screen, then work in the same way as settings. I.e. Lowest level overriding higher level.

Steve
        • From a user point of view it would just exist as it does but have no values for a new context, but I realize this means it needs to be aware of which context you are in, and if you're an admin, you can have access to all of them. From a content publisher point of view, they'd only see their context (but then there might be some who would see multiple contexts), etc. Maybe a context drop down for those type of users?

For now, as mentioned, we just use an Admin page and draw values from TVs set up on it which is very workable, particularly with Forms Customization.
            • 72 Posts
            The best solution i think: Normal tabs for the contexts and inside each tabpanel a vertical tab for the settings.
            • That is an interesting solution. In some cases we have over 100 contexts so we'd probably like a drop down/searchable selection tool instead of tabs.
                • 72 Posts
                Over a 100 contexts? Why so many of them? drop-down(combo) isn't hard to implement to it. Quote from: rx2 at Feb 21, 2014, 06:09 PM
                That is an interesting solution. In some cases we have over 100 contexts so we'd probably like a drop down/searchable selection tool instead of tabs.
                • If you have a business that has offices in cities world wide, and multiple offices within each city, each office with it's own site, you'll want a system where it's all hosted and managed with one system, hence our use of MODX, and hence over 100 contexts.
                    • 17 Posts
                    The extra is great and helps a lot. Thanks to the author!

As for feature requests - I would vote for Media Source list for files, it is really crucial for sites with Groups/Sources ACLs. Also, the Extra complying with the Default Media Source system setting would be quite natural wink [ed. note: bonflash last edited this post 10 years, 1 month ago.]
                      • 328 Posts
                      When i go to "Configuration Admin Panel" appears session expired pop-up.