We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,010 Posts
    Not having looked into the code as yet (only got as far as peeking into the zip file) I have 2 questions:

1. How dependent is Pommo on Smarty? From a modx integration point of view it would make sense if the templating could be handed over to MODx itself.

2. I see you are using phpmailer. MODx currently ships with phpmailer but development of phpmailer seems to be stagnated. Any thoughts on that? I’m currently looking at swiftMailer as a potential replacement for one of the ’snippets’ used in MODx (http://www.swiftmailer.org/)
      • 2 Posts
      Quote from: TobyL at Jan 25, 2007, 03:07 AM

1. How dependent is Pommo on Smarty? From a modx integration point of view it would make sense if the templating could be handed over to MODx itself.
      The program interface is 100% dependent on Smarty, as all the templates (or the "view" part of an MVC architecture) is contained within smarty template files -- specifically, .tpl files in the themes/default directory. The benefit of this is that the ’logic’ of the application, or rather, the API, is not at all dependent on SMARTY -- and so the program can be used without SMARTY. Further, poMMo uses a logger ($pommo->_logger) which holds errors and messages that occur during program execution. For instance, if you tried adding a subscriber via PommoSubscriber::add(), but the email was a duplicate (already exists as an active subscriber), the function would a) return false .. and b) an error would be inserted into the logger stack stating that a duplicate email was encounter.

When the view is called via the display() function of PommoTemplate, the $pommo->_logger object’s errors & messages are assigned to a template variable. They can just as well be piped to the MODx template. Here’s how pommo instantiates its view;
      /**********************************
      	INITIALIZATION METHODS
       *********************************/
      require('../../bootstrap.php');
      $pommo->init();
      $logger = & $pommo->_logger;
      $dbo = & $pommo->_dbo;

/**********************************
      	SETUP TEMPLATE, PAGE
       *********************************/
      Pommo::requireOnce($pommo->_baseDir.'inc/classes/template.php');
      $smarty = new PommoTemplate();
      ....more application logic....

$smarty->display('admin/subscribers/admin_subscribers.tpl');
      Pommo::kill();

2. I see you are using phpmailer. MODx currently ships with phpmailer but development of phpmailer seems to be stagnated. Any thoughts on that?
      poMMo uses a slightly modified version of phpMailer so that it can keep track of the bytes sent so that BPS can be throttled. I could (and should) migrate this functionality to within the personalization functions and use the stock version, as I’m not entirely happy w/ the quality of implementation. As for development ceasing on phpMailer.. this is something I’m not too worried about, as Brad is still alive & responsive wink -- there’s just been no major security issues or bugs found for some time.. and the platform is feature complete and working.

As for swiftmailer, this looks very nice. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I like the fact that it handles multiple redundant SMTP connections.. and would certainly not be opposed to integrating it. I could basically drop all my (now) kludgey multiple SMTP support in favor of using swiftmailer’s internal redundant relays + load balancing.

Besides... my mailing class BADLY needs to be re-written wink

EDIT : After further researching Swift Mailer, I’ll certainly be switching to it. Hopefully v3.0 comes out in time for the PR15 release.

Hope this helps,

~ Brice
        • 1,010 Posts
        Sounds excellent! I personally won’t be digging into it just yet as I’ve got some other rather pressing commitments for a while but I’ll keep monitoring this thread until I have more time. I find the prospect of a well integrated mailing module very exciting.

I hope someone will give creating a modx module a first go in the mean time ::.
          • 898 Posts
          I am working with ppp (a user profile manager) now and am planning on trying to implement as much of POMMO into it as needed right now. So thanks for the stop by and I am excited to see a strong OS email list program.

Chuck
            Chuck the Trukk
            ProWebscape.com :: Nashville-WebDesign.com
            - - - - - - - -
            What are TV's? Here's some info below.
            http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,21081.msg159009.html#msg1590091
            http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,14957.msg97008.html#msg97008
            • 7,075 Posts
            I just checked on the last version of poMMo and was really impressed by the headway which has been made over the past few month : great work !

All who had given a first look a while back should check on the last release :
            http://try.pommo.org

.: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
              • 788 Posts
              And that demo isn’t even running the latest version. It is still running PR14, and PR15 has been released.
                Jesse R.
                Consider trying something new and extraordinary.
                Illinois Wine

Have you considered donating to MODx lately?
                Donate now. Every contribution helps.
                • 7,075 Posts
                Good catch, I missed that thanks for clarifying !
                  .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
                  • 1,611 Posts
                  Pommo is yet another amazing project that uses jQuery, too (hint, hint)...
                    "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
                    • 788 Posts
                    Your hints are very subtle now, are they? tongue
                      Jesse R.
                      Consider trying something new and extraordinary.
                      Illinois Wine

Have you considered donating to MODx lately?
                      Donate now. Every contribution helps.
                      • 1,010 Posts
                      Pommo is yet another amazing project that uses jQuery, too (another hint)... grin