We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 19 Posts
    Quote from: Pont at Dec 17, 2005, 06:21 PM

zeth, I hope you’re not offended by this. I see you’ve been logged in as recently as yesterday, but haven’t responded to my post above. I do not intend to hijack your work. After all, you’ve done most of it and I’ve only done the additions and a lot of corrections and adjustments. I hope for an active process here with input from anyone interested.
    And I still have problems translating ’widget’...
    Of course I’m not offended, and it’s great that you have done the work! One of the great strengths of open source is obviously so many people can contribute and help.

It seems like a good idea to team up together. That way we can make changes in new versions faster.

Do you have a project page for the language file? Otherwise maybe we could arrange a common Subversion space to make it easier to collaborate.

Will check the language file tomorrow. (have had lots to do, but I’m finally done with everything.)
      Johnny Chadda
      http://johnny.chadda.se
      "This is a UNIX virus. Please remove all your files and copy this message to friends."
      • 180 Posts
      So great to hear that, zeth. I find translating applications is fun but quite hard work. Sometimes it is not clear what is intended and finding swedish expressions for the english dominated computer universe can be tricky. Everything I read about web related topics are in english and not being a programmer by trade doesn’t help either.

I have no project page or anything similar. I could easily make one, but it would be a straight html one. I don’t have access to a server with php or database functionality.
      Is it really needed? Perhaps its more inviting for others to keep the work in this forum? It will also keep everything in one place. The only trouble I see is postings of numerous different versions, but perhaps that can be arranged with the dev team so that only a few people are authorized to file ’official’ updates. One suggestion is to start a new topic that is locked and only contains the latest lang file (would that work?). Discussions on changes can be done in new topics.

You will find that I’ve changed quite a lot in the file. I’ve listed some of the changes here:

• Old leftovers from Etomite(?) is removed
      • There was a lot of extra linebreaks making it harder to cross reference with the template file. These are also removed. The overall layout of the file now corresponds with the template file.
      • I’ve used ’webbplats’ instead of ’sida’ for every occurrence of ’site’
      • There is a distinction between ’directory’ and ’folder’ in the template file that is restored with ’katalog’ and ’mapp’
      • A few layout liberties taken mainly concerning linebreaks in some phrases
      • Tried to make the language as simple and natural as possible, but there is more to be done in that area
      • Some of the original phrases are slightly changed for consistency and clarity
      • Changed the $_lang[""] double quotes to single ones to facilitate alphabetical sorting of the file. This makes it much easier to find inconsistencies in language and words used.
      • Numerous little tweaks here and there

Pont
        • 1 Posts
        Hi there

I´m new to this and I just wonder what I should do to put this file into use. Where shall I put it and how do I "start it up".

best regards

Sören
          • 19 Posts
          Pont: Ok, maybe a project page is overkill. But maybe it’s just me, but I find it easier to work with a Subversion repository. Perhaps the development team could allow us commit access to our own language file in the modx repository. But ok, we can do everything right here in the meantime.

Sören: First of all, hello! Put the language file in manager/includes/lang/ where you unpacked modx. Then log into the manager and select Swedish in the settings. Good luck or lycka till.
            Johnny Chadda
            http://johnny.chadda.se
            "This is a UNIX virus. Please remove all your files and copy this message to friends."
            • 1 Posts
            Hi. I’m new to MODx and just installed it to see if it’s something for me. I wonder, and bare with me if this is the wrong place to ask, is there a reason why the Swedish language file is ISO Latin 1 and not UTF-8? (I’ll change the encoding myself in my installation, so this question is out of curiousity.)
              • 180 Posts
              Hi Adrian and Welcome to the community!

I haven’t really reflected over the encoding of the file. I used the default in my editor. Do you think it should be changed? If I now change to utf-8 funny things happens with words containing åäöÅÄÖ making it impossible to edit.

Regards
              Pont
                • 1 Posts
                Thanks (for the welcome).

I have this general feeling that using UTF-8 is better and more safe for the future, but I can’t say I some sort of expert on this at all. Personally I’ll allways try to use UTF-8 nowadays.

There’s three step to be made if you want to use UTF-8.

First: Open the language file as ISO Latin 1 (ISO-8859-1) and change it to UTF-8 (and save it).
                Second: Change "* Encoding:       ISO-8859-1" to "* Encoding:       UTF-8" in the language file header.
                Third: In the admin interface, change Adminstration->Systeminställningar->Teckenkodning to "Unicode (UTF-8) - utf-8".

Then all Swedish characters should work, it does for me at least.
                • I’m starting to think all languages, including the English one, should be UTF-8. In fact, all of MODx should.
                    Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                    Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                    • 180 Posts
                    I’ll make the next file utf-8 then.
                      • 180 Posts
                      I just tried changing the content manager over to utf-8 and wasn’t thrilled since all the encodings in the document tree of the letters åäöÅÄÖ then were wrong and thus didn’t render correctly. The lesson learned is you should not change encodings on an existing site. I realize there are ways to fix this but not everyone will be comfortable doing that.
                      My concern is when a new version comes and the unsuspecting user updates and finds his document tree "corrupted". Not a positive experience. Especially if the site is large.

If a change is contemplated, consider advertising it clearly and with instructions to correct the issue.