We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 284 Posts
    So I’ve heard quite a lot of jQuery mobile and most of it was like "it’s the best on market". So I think it’s best for MM too.
      MODX Free Template Base: MODX-Boilerplate | my blog (lots of MODX stuff) | my gitHub (translations) | MODX User Groups Germany (Facebook)
    • For the sake of clarity, I’m going to refuse to name the addon I’ll develop some day "Mobile Manager".. That’ll get shortened to MM and people will think it’s about ManagerManager for Evo tongue

I might just hold a name contest. laugh Or the one who contributes most in a crowdsource event gets to pick the name (with the exception of managermanager :p).

At this point I do think jQuery Mobile is the best solution. The layout the demo shows is semantic, clean, loads fast enough on my Jet and I might just be more familiar with jQuery than I am with Sencha (although it’s slowly catching up..).

What about functionality?

Editing and creating resources is most important - and will definitely be #1 on the list. What would be the runner ups? File handling? Publishing?

I’m hoping to be able of writing up a proper specification in a couple of days, which can then be reviewed in depth but would love all initial feedback I can get smiley
        Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
      • I will add another vote for jQuery Mobile. It seams like the better option in the long run, and a little lighter which never hurts when mobile devices are involved.

The main areas I would be looking to use this would be along the lines of:
        Basic Resource editing (Published status, Deleted Status, and Content Editing)
        Basic User management (Add/Remove users, and control permission/role)
        Basic System Settings (Optimize tables, Site Offline)

I could see some basic resource (Template/Chunk/Snippet) editing, but my main goal would be quicker changes. If I am working on resources I would be more inclined to use a notebook, tablet, or other more full featured device.

The biggest challange I see with this project will be creating some form of RTE that works with mobile devices. I know TinyMCE fails to function with iPhone/iPad due to lack of support in the iOS, but as this accounts for a large potential user base it will be important.
          Patrick | Server Wrangler
          About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
          • 284 Posts
          You actually can’t develop a WYSIWYG editor for iOS as well as for some Android versions due to the lack of contentEditable.
          Maybe there’s something like a serverside editor with Markdown (learn how-to run it with PHP)

edit: http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#technotes/tn2010/tn2262/#//apple_ref/doc/uid/DTS40009577-CH1-DontLinkElementID_7
            MODX Free Template Base: MODX-Boilerplate | my blog (lots of MODX stuff) | my gitHub (translations) | MODX User Groups Germany (Facebook)
          • Check into Google Docs on the iPad, they were able to figure out something. I haven’t looked into it very closely tho.
              Patrick | Server Wrangler
              About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
            • Markdown is actually a feasible option. A simple help document should probably be included to display information on how to use it for those that are unfamiliar..

The only thing I’m worried about is properties for snippets, chunks, etc. According to http://michelf.com/projects/php-markdown/concepts/ back-ticks (``) trigger a code span. If you’d have any snippets in your markdown flavored content field, those would be destroyed when converting it to HTML.. Briefly opened up the markdown.php file, and line 1563 seems to be concerned with that, so would have to modify it before using.. looks like an easy fix.

Markdownify for converting html->markdown: http://milianw.de/projects/markdownify/index.php
                Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
              • Initial specification
                (You can download the .txt file at the bottom of this post)

##################################################
                ##    Mobile Manager - Initial Specification    ##
                ##################################################

Mark Hamstra                       March 4th, 2011

This initial specification is a non-definite plan
                for developing a Mobile Manager for the MODX CMF.

This initial specification is aimed at functionality
                available for the first public release, while
                offering a steady framework to extend upon later.
                You will also be introduced to some terminology
                which will be used to refer to specific pages
                in the future.

This initial specification is the basis for a
                later specification which will be accompanied by
                a crowd source request (ChipIn/KickStarter) in
                order to fund the development of the functions
                specified. 

##### Fundamental thoughts ######################

* This mobile manager will be developed with a 
                  variety of mobile devices in mind. Not only the
                  iPhone, BlackBerry and Android phones, but also
                  the slightly older phones with webkit browsers.
                  iPads will also benefit.
                * The mobile manager will be based on jQuery
                  Mobile. This framework builds upon HTML5 and
                  CSS3, enhanced with JavaScript. 
                * The mobile manager is not intended as replacement
                  for the MODX Manager but merely as a quick
                  solution for on-the-road updating of content.

##### 1: Start screen ###########################

After login with your MODX Manager username and
                password, you will be presented with the start
                screen. 
                * The Start screen features an easy to use list
                  (iPhone file browser-like) which link you to
                  functionality you can use. (1)
                  * List resources (see 'Resource listing')
                  * New resource (see 'Resource editing')
                  * Logout
                * This list may or may not be repeated on inner
                  pages. Currently undecided. It is most likely
                  that a "Home" button will be placed at
                  convenient places to bring you back to the start
                  screen.

##### 2: Resource listing #######################

* The resource listing goes per level. Starts in
                  the root of the site. 
                * The listing shows every resource, including 
                  those that are not published or are removed.
                * Choosing a resource will give you the resource
                  menu. It has four options:
                  * Show details: lists all information related
                    to the specific resource. That includes
                	resource fields, settings and TVs.
                  * Modify resource: see 'Resource editing'
                  * (Un)publish resource: checks the published
                    state of the resource. When not published,
                	this will publish the resource and vice versa.
                  * (Un)delete resource: checks deleted state of
                    the resource and deletes or restores. Will
                	require the user to confirm on a new page. 
                  Under this "resource menu", the resource listing 
                  will continue to list resources of which the
                  resource is a parent. 

##### 3: Resource editing ######################

* The Resource Editing page will consist of 2-4
                  sections. These sections are what used to be 
                  tabs in the MODX Manager:
                  * Resource fields
                  * Page settings
                  * Template Variables (optional, only if used)
                  * Access Permissions (optional, only if used)
                * The different fields will be available as they
                  are in the MODX Manager without customization. (2)
                * Fields which are set to use a RTE (by default
                  the content field, but also Richtext TVs) will
                  make use of the Markdown syntax for rich text
                  editing. HTML will be converted to Markdown
                  before editing, and will be converted back to
                  HTML upon save. A help popup will be available
                  with the special syntax.
                * Template, Parent resource, Content Type,
                  content disposition and class key fields will
                  be delivered as dropdown fields. Other fields
                  will be regular text fields.
                * TV input types that will be supported in the 
                  first release are:
                  * Checkbox, Radio box, Dropdown
                  * Text, Textarea (as plain text)
                  * Richtext (as Markdown syntax)
                  * Resource list
                  * Date possibly using experimental datepicker
                  Other input types will be displayed as plain
                  text input boxes. 

##### 4: Customization #########################

Since this version will only cover basic usage,
                preperations will be made to customize or add to
                the mobile manager. There are two main options:
                * Include Component pages. Most CMPs are built 
                  on Sencha/ExtJS and not compatible with 
                  jQuery Mobile. These will need to be refactored
                  but will be able to be inserted into the Start
                  screen through a series of files. Specific
                  details will follow during development.
                * More TV input types supported through TV plugins
                  which can be installed by adding the neccesary
                  files to the right folders. Specific details
                  will follow later.
                These two customizations will enable you to
                add virtually anything to your Mobile Manager
                by uploading files (possibly through the
                Package Manager). 

Furthermore, the mobile manager will be fully
                translatable through the use of Lexicons. The
                actual number of languages submitted depends
                on the number of translators contributing their
                translations to the project.

##### 5: License ##############################

License details are not decided upon yet. It is
                also not sure if the PL release will be made
                free or commercial. Either way, it is sure that
                early contributors (3) will receive benefits for
                their contribution. This can be a number of free
                commercial licenses (when licensed commercially),
                priority support or other undecided benefits. 

Early Contributors will be mentioned in the 
                copyright notices as funders, in the order of 
                contribution (when data is available). 

##### 6: Notes ################################
                (1) In a later release, this list can be modified
                    through a MODX Manager page. 
                (2)	Form Customization rules may be taken into
                	consideration in a later release.
                (3) Early contributors are contributors who either
                    donate during the crowd sourcing, actively
                	help development or provide translations, 
                	no later then the last Beta release.

I would like to crowdsource funding for this development.. don’t have exact numbers on that yet, but I wont start on this before another few weeks anyway.

To get a feel of how jQuery mobile works, go to http://jquerymobile.com/demos/1.0a3/ - I even like the interface even on my 17" screen.

Please let me know if there’s things you would rather do differently in regards to this specification.. or if you think it sounds awesome and you want me to start tomorrow. tongue

I’m also looking for a catchy name.. any suggestions are welcome smiley
                Gotta love Twitter smiley

Within 10 minutes the decision for a name was made... Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you:
                HandyMan, a mobile manager for MODX
                Thanks Crawford (Bridgecourt) for the initial idea, and Adam Wintle, Jay Gilmore and @myradon for the amazing ideas. laugh

• Hi Mark,

Great idea, something I also attempted to make way back in December 2009 - I’ve read through the previous posts on this thread, but couldn’t spot the answer to these questions - forgive me if its already been answered!

Will the mobile manager have all the essentials, with only the features you’re ever going to need while you’re on the go? - It may be unnecessary and cumbersome to include all of the features the desktop version of the manager includes; such as managing content types, actions or the package manager and most of the access control and user management features.

Also, for some of my client sites I’ve really cut out a lot of the stuff from the clients login using the Form Customiser; the manager really just becomes a resource editor for them - do you envision the mobile manager to also use the Form Customiser rules or perhaps have its own rules so custom versions of the mobile manager can be created?

To me it makes most sense for the mobile manager to allow a client or a designer a way to quickly make changes or quickly fix something when they’re out of the office - or post content as a live blog or something similar - I think from a usability and design perspective it would be best to keep these scenarios in mind so we don’t create a heavy app.

Also with live blogging in mind, do you think it might be possible to activate the camera on a device such as the iPhone (or iPad 2) and upload photos to a blog while you’re on the move? Perhaps it might be possible to get the geo coordinates from the device too or do other cool things that are mobile specific?

Also, as we discussed on Twitter, email me if you need a hand with any design - I’d be happy to help design something for the app; let me know smiley
                    MODX Ambassador for Thailand. Managing Director at Monogon, a web design and development studio based in Bangkok, Thailand. - Follow me on Twitter.
                  • Thanks for the reply smiley

The specifications I posted a post earlier are really what I want the first version to do. It will not yet listen to form customization rules (I’d rather have it working first!), and really focus on editing resources - but with expansion in mind.

Like I also said in the customizations section of the specifications, I want to make it possible to "plug and play" additional components/plugins/functionality by simply uploading files in the right folder. While this may start with only Resources, I (or someone else) could release a Chunk editor to go along with it, or perhaps even a Security module featuring all the security stuff.. As mentioned, I’m not sure on the details yet on the specifics, but I like how MyBB handles plugins, with simple php files featuring metadata and the rest of the files being accessed directly (sort of).

It all depends on how well the addon will be retrieved and if people will actually start using it. You can imagine that having 1000 downloads motivates me (and other devs) more to create additional packages and to improve its core, compared to 50 beta testers..

This could definitely be the start of a fully fledged, customizable manager though. But most likely not in the next months. tongue

Thanks for thinking along, and like I said: this project could probably use a logo in some time tongue As the layout is built with jQuery Mobile, the UI will be jQuery UI which is pretty standard. I’m open to color scheme suggestions, but I don’t think there’s much that needs to be modified in that area. Perhaps there could even be a theme switcher added in a later release..

• 284 Posts
                      Sounds great. I’d like to do the german language pack and perhaps some UI/UX enhancements if you want me to…