We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 215 Posts
    @MadeMyDay: I’m looking forward translating the German documentation together with you wink My colleague will support this work, too.
      • 1,039 Posts
      Hi all,

first look possible:

www.modxcms.de

Da muss natürlich jetzt erstmal Content her... Habe jetzt die letzten Nächte das Forum zum Laufen gebracht und designed. Weil der Kollege im anderen Thread nicht glauben wollte dass Iframe-Lösungen sch... sind hab ichs halt jetzt schonmal hochgeladen wink Aber sooo schlecht ist die Lösung ja auch nicht. Wie gesagt, ist noch Baustelle, aber da sollen die Dokus rein. Feedback natürlich erwünscht!

Gruß Marc
      • I can’t decide what I think about splitting the site off as there are a lot of changes coming and it makes tracking our "customers" usage patterns, keeping a consistent brand identity and so on quite challenging. There’s also the search implications ... no better way to build project recognition than by having more people linking to it in a single location rather than to 4 or 5 (or more) different sites scattered around the world).

I had planned all along to get all the marking information updated then implement a multi-language site structure. This way we maintain consistency and have all the traffic under one roof. Given that though, I think a local language micro site linking directly to the native language forums is a really good idea, and we should see to come up with a concise and consistent message for the translation teams to use. I’d love to see a boatload of strong International teams here. laugh
          Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
          Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • 1,039 Posts
          Hi Ryan,

don´t misunterstand please. This is just my effort to reach the german target group. Not more. I am very motivated to bring this great piece of software to germany (coming from the marketing branch). There will be no competition to the original site, far from it! I know the german target group, they want german informations. They are very lazy when it comes to reading (and understanding) english techie speech. So this is my efford to convert them into customers and bring them here. I´m coming from the mambo/joomla universe, in fact I´m breaking out of it wink Over there are lots of fan sites, forums and download bases, every country has it´s own first contact point at these local sites and people who want to learn more or want to know what it´s all about surely go to the "official" site.

Talking ´bout brand identity... the software is the band. Nobody is interested in names (see joomla), they want solutions. And as far there is no CD going around here (except the green/black from which I wanted to differ willfully because honestly I don´t like the new design of the site very much). So my opinion is that it´s okay to spread out and build as much information as possible. Believe me, there will be lots of hints where the software comes from and whom the honor is due to. I just want to distribute something. And okay, because it´s a CMS and I want to build websites with it, I want to build a website of my own wink If that is against other plans please tell me.

Greetz Marc
            • 187 Posts
            Hi,

personally I think having different urls pointing to modxcms can’t do no harm smiley

But I would like to have things like the documention in one place too, thus I do think language microsites would be my preferred solution.

In addition with language forums this would be very nice to serve native communities in one place.

One remark to the forums: I have read in the release plans that there will be a download section for snippets, plugins and so on - I really appreciate this VERY much, as forums should be for discussions, support and similar - for downloads I prefer s.th. like the download section on drupal, divided into sections for different versions and different topics like modules, themes and so on - have a look at the download box in the upper right on http://drupal.org under Contributions (germans like long sentences as well).

Frisco
            • Hi Marc and Frisco,

I very much desire to have an active and vibrant community. laugh

The reason for keeping the primary information under one domain is primarily for the purpose of search marketing, which is a key component of spreading the word about MODx. I also really want to have small localized mini-sites about MODx in any design whatsoever.

There are lots of things planned for MODx that I think you’ll really appreciate in the coming moths. And we need all the help we can get. I also like a categorized resources download section too, btw. smiley
                Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                • 1 Posts
                OK, here’s another proposition... at first in german, then in (my own weak smiley) english.

Wäre es nicht möglich, hier ein deutsches Subforum (so wie das französische) einzurichten, und (nur) dieses auf der deutschen Seite per include einzubinden? Oder umgekehrt: auf der deutschen Seite ein Forum einbinden und es hier als Subforum einrichten? Das wäre auch nebenbei ein ganz praktisches Feature, denke ich. So wäre es z.B. möglich, daß jemand eine Website mit Forum erstellt, und dieses Forum (oder Unterforen davon) können andere Leute auf Ihren Webseiten (mit jeweils eigenem Design) einbinden, ganz ohne Frames, IFrames oder ähnlichem. Habe leider nicht genug technischen Tiefgang, um das beantworten zu können.

Isn’t it possible, to start a german subforum (like the french one), and (only) this to include on the german site? Or vice versa: to include the german forum here as a german subforum. Additionally, this would be a nice feature: somebody creates a website with a forum using modxcms. And other people, with other sites, can include this forum on their websites (with their own design), all without frames or iframes or some other bulls**t. Unfortunately, i’m not of great depth in php/mysql to answer this to myself, but, hey, it’s an idea!

My mustard (very hard translated german grin)
                Ulli
                  Yoda of Borg am I. Grammar irrelevant is.
                  (stolen from the usenet)
                  • 1,039 Posts
                  Hi Ulrich,

to include a (sub)Forum isn´t possible without an Iframe because you don´t have access to the database from another server (mostly). But with Iframe it´s not independent regarding design. I included the forum not only to install a german forum, I want to develop a bridge or something similar, so that everyone can include a forum into modx. Also it´s not my intention to build a german substitution to modxcms.com´s coming german part, it´s just a playground and a try to spread the word of modx in germany smiley

Greetz Marc
                    • 11 Posts
                    Hello Again,

here they are:

Starters Guide (original Getting Started)
                    Designers Guide
                    Administration Guide

Edit:
                    So here’s my last work:

Editors Guide

All in German, all GPL

Have fun with it
                    Antonio Cambule (musicones)
                      • 215 Posts
                      Great! Thanks for contributing. Do you mind releasing it under a GNU Free Documentation License or something similar? So it could be spread more easily.

BTW: I’m currently working on a German version of Editor’s Guide... Hope to have it finished within the next two weeks.

Just attached a quick reference about Docvars in German language, maybe someone finds it useful wink