We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,161 Posts
    I am slowly working on a small club community site with about 15 or so Web Users.

I have created a gallery page for each user. Users login via the WebLoginPE and then go to the Gallery page which then displays all the galleries. When logged in users go to their own pages the can edit their pages with the "Manage Pictures" button just fine. But two users DO NOT SEE THE "MANAGE PICTURES" button? They can register and login OK though. I have tried to figure this out. I can see the button. Other members can see this button when entering the login with the problem Web Users id. I did this as a test. These guys have tried IE and Firefox on Windows XP.

The gallery creation details and snippet calls are exactly the same for everyone. Why can’t they see the "Manage Pictures" button when I and other users can when using the same username and password?

Any thoughts would be welcome big time!

Max
      • 2,310 Posts
      Perhaps their browses are caching the page or they don’t allow cookies to be set?
      (can’t remember if MaxiGallery uses cookies)
        • 1,161 Posts
        Thanks, I will try anything!!!

How would I word this as a suggestion to these folks? I am looking for specific "try this" suggestions.
        Right now three out of thirteen Web Users cannot see the "Manage Pictures" button after they have logged in. Logging in is always successful though...

I am really hoping to figure this out...
          • 24,544 Posts
          The first thing to try is to have them clear the browser cache, including temporary internet files and cookies. How they do that will depend on which browser they use.

Bob
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • 4,213 Posts
            Have you tried to log in with their user accounts and try to see if there’s manage button or not? could be that somethings wrong with the accounts too..

How have you set up the web user editable galleries? have you defined a webgroup who can manage the galleries (&manager_webgroups) or made own gallery for each user (&manager_webusers)? if later, could there be typos in the username?

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
              • 1,161 Posts
              Hi Doze,

I tried to keep it simple. I set up a gallery container (folder) that will expand with Wayfinder. I then had the users register as Web Users with WebLogin PE. I, as the Administrator went into the Security Panel and then to the Web Users to see the list of folks who registered. I then created a fresh gallery page using their Web User login name.

I used the following basic snippet call for each gallery page:
              [!MaxiGallery? &display=`embedded` &admin_webusers=`Max` &embedtype=`slimbox` &pics_per_row=`3` &thumb_use_dropshadow=`1`!]

Obviously the name gets changed for each page. I did not do any other permissions, or set up groups or managers or roles etc.

The kicker is that this works perfectly for 10 out of the 13 guys so far: they login, get the "welcome back" greeting, go to their own gallery page and they see the "Manage Pictures" button. The other three guys DO NOT see the "Manage Pictures" button. If I test login using their username and password I get the "Manage Pictures" button no problem. I had others try logging as these users as well and they get the "Manage Pictures" button as well. All of the pages and snippet calls are exactly the same.

I have no idea why these three guys do not see the "Manage Pictures" button.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

Max
                • 4,213 Posts
                Ok.. if the accounts work when you or someone else login with them, there’s nothing wrong with the snippets or your setup. It’s something in their computers. Maybe too strict firewall settings that limit session data or something like that.. don’t know.

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
                  • 1,161 Posts
                  Its a head scratcher for sure.

Have you heard of anything like this before? If not then thats really puzzling as well? I mean surely some folks have created a system with web user galleries that require each person to login before seeing the "Manage Pictures" button on their assigned gallery page?

• 4,213 Posts
                    Never heard of such problem.. are there perhaps some weird characters in the user names?

• 1,161 Posts
                      No weird characters in the names...

I think this is cookie related.

One of my Web Users noticed this:
                      "One quirk I have noticed is that when I logged in I clicked remember me “forever” and it works great.
                      So when I leave the site and come back A DAY LATER the manage button isn’t there. I have to click on “login” even though it says I’m already logged in. Then if I go to my gallery page the “Manage Images” appears."

And then he added:
                      "So I can replicate not seeing the manage images button 2 hours after logging in.
                      Here is how I replicate it. Login > Gallery > Jim’s Gallery (button is there).
                      Hit refresh 2 hours later and I’m still logged in, but the button is gone. To make the button appear I click on the login link and takes me to the page saying I’m already logged in. (resetting the session cookie) So my manage images button shows up.
                      So like you said, people who block cookies probably won’t see it. I also think you can set the session cookie timeout via the admin console, or cfg file..."

Me again: I still have users that complain that they can’t see the button after logging in. I think the next step is to ask them for specific Privacy, Security and Cookie settings they have activated in their web browsers...