We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 24,544 Posts
    It can’t hurt to add an index.html file containing just:

<p>Hello, I'm the Index.html file</p>

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
      My MODX Extras
      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
      • 82 Posts
      thanks bob where would you recommend placing this index file in every sub folder that is throwing up the errors?

thanks t.
        • 82 Posts
        ok think we could be there, don’t want to say too much until the site is totally working as been a nightmare couple of days and every time i’ve sorted something something else has then decided not to work,

my steps were;

deleted whole root assets folder

then copied a mirrored working setup on another server,

uploaded this to problem server,

gallery now seems to be working,

hopefully i can actually do some work now!

thanks for all the help and advice everyone.
          • 24,544 Posts
          Glad you got it working.

Maybe someone should develop a "SiteMover" add-on component. wink
            My MODX Extras
            • 82 Posts
            yes that certainly would be a fantastic addition, 99% of sites are developed somewhere then moved.

I also think a simpler guide would help, the current migration guide for someone such as myself from a design background is highly techical, this is such a crutial process and is a little scary when you’ve spent ages developing a site - something that should be much less stressful.

the method i used was; perhaps these could be added to the docs?

1. install clean modx install on the clients server - get it working here first, install the components and add ons that you have working on the site you have developed- this is quick and easy anyway, do they all work on the new server? - this eliminates the issues that i’ve had with not knowing whether or not the migration has mucked things up or if the components simply wont run on that particular server.

2. export your database from your old server in phpmyadmin - click the the export tab - check drop tables and click ’go’.

3. Open your database in a text editor.

4. open php my admin for the new/clients server take note of the database name the name that ends _db or has db in it.

5. in your text editor change the names of your old database in the top of the table for your new names.

6. save as your newdatabase name .sql

7. in the new site myphp admin import that database.

8. login to new site manager.

9. check it are things working running, then import your various css, js , images etc to get things running.- check things are ok front and back end.

10. got to /setup run an upgrade to consolidate things

11. hopefully this should do it.

would it be possible to say install your site in the place you were going to install it perhaps install all components etc and get them working, then copy it off and remove and run it in a virtual environment that emaulates the server settings its been removed from? you would then just move it ’back’ to the clients hosting server.
              • 24,544 Posts
              Installing in the final location works, but the work is a lot slower over the internet than on a local machine and any published pages are visible (and indexable by Google) for the world to see.

The problem with your steps is that it’s easy to leave out a critical file and often hard to debug that situation. It might also lead people to install a different build of MODx on the remote than the one on their development platform, which could be either immediately disastrous, or create a time bomb that would devastate the site down the road.

These steps actually work pretty well: http://rtfm.modx.com/display/revolution20/Moving+Your+Site+to+a+New+Server
                My MODX Extras
                • 82 Posts
                agreed my method is a bit mad, and has been problematic to say the least.
                the issue i have also had is that i corruped my old site somehow so all i have is the database and the files css etc, i cant get into the old manager and i dont know what is corrupt.

that’s why i was doing a clean install too just to get a modx version up and working i was also then running into all these errors and problems with the new server.

are there any steps of mine that are flawed and any thing im missed that i need to be careful of?

thanks, t,

• 24,544 Posts
                  It looks OK to me as long as the you installed *exactly* the same build of MODx at the new site as you had on the original site.

OTOH, if your problem was caused by a bad snippet or plugin on the old site, you’ll be right back where you were once that code executes. wink

My MODX Extras
                    • 82 Posts
                    hey bob, you were right my method was flawed errors arising left right and center! gallery failing, disaster.

i have started from a fresh clean build clean database abd copied and pasted everything over - only took 2 hrs, i need this done for monday and have time to do it this way and get it working rather than spend more time and it not working anyway.

I think an export site pluggin is essential, - someone cleverer than me.... this would be a great pluggin.

have you guys ever thought have having a system in place where say where there are components that people really there is say a price total that needs to be reached and then people can contribute an amount to reach the target , when it’s reached it then is built for all to share..
                      • 160 Posts
                      I had this problem today, and fortunately someone posted the solution yesterday in another topic:
                      http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php?topic=57504.0