We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Quote from: Blake at Aug 05, 2009, 05:57 AM

we were wondering what sort of features you guys envisioned for this plugin (the more detail the better). <snip>

Welcome Blake. I would actually want to ask you what some of the best-in-class integrations do for other platforms. If it’s simply making a form-wizard to subscribe users, that’s straightforward but for sites with an existing user-base, it’d probably be beneficial to somehow sync those over.

As far as Revo vs Evo, there’s still some ongoing work on the Users/Permissions happening with Revo, so I think it would make more sense probably to start with Evo.
      Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
      Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
      • 9 Posts
      Quote from: rthrash at Aug 05, 2009, 12:38 PM
      Welcome Blake. I would actually want to ask you what some of the best-in-class integrations do for other platforms.

Most plugins simply offer an easy way to allow members to subscribe to one or more of your Campaign Monitor lists. Please see our downloads page for a full list of Campaign Monitor plugins and modules, and let us know what sort of features might or might not be useful.

Quote from: rthrash at Aug 05, 2009, 12:38 PM
      If it’s simply making a form-wizard to subscribe users, that’s straightforward but for sites with an existing user-base, it’d probably be beneficial to somehow sync those over.

Indeed, it would be useful to allow members to opt-in to your mailing list and automatically sync their details over to your Campaign Monitor account, although the implementation for something like that looks like it may not be straightforward (it would seem like something you would attach to an existing form, rather than a standalone subscribe form that you can just use anywhere on your site). Thoughts on this?

Again, I’d love to know what you guys think is the best way forward and what sort of features you’d like to see.
        • 90 Posts
        Hi Blake,

First off all I like to thank you for your time and help!

A plugin with synchronization options like the "Wordpress Subscriber Plugin" and the "ExpressionEngine Extension" would really be great.

• 9 Posts
          Hi guys,

Sorry about the lack of communication, we’ve obviously been pretty busy with the recent security issues. Regarding the plugin I’m thinking something like the following might be pretty cool:

I’m thinking there’d be a “register” form that you can drop anywhere in your site. Users fill in the form and they are added as a web user, they would also be able to tick checkboxes corresponding to lists they want to subscribe to.

It would also be nice if a user could edit their subscription from within a MODx site, maybe with a similar drop-in form where a logged-in user can check and uncheck the lists they wish to subscribe to?

Obviously these are just some very basic thoughts. Let me know what you think.

I’ve yet to get my head around how it might work from the MODx side (or even if it’s possible). I’d appreciate it if someone with some experience developing for MODx could point me in the right direction as to how to put something like this together. Maybe it would make sense to integrate with some existing registration plugin?
            • 90 Posts
            Hi Blake,

No problem at all Blake, I really like the ideas you have for the plugin!

To integrate it with an existing registration plugin,
            there is a great plugin called WebLoginPE:

http://code.google.com/p/webloginpe/
              • 9 Posts
              Hi guys,

I spent a few hours on this this week and finally there’s something ready, so we’d love you guys to try this out and give it a good test and let us know what you think.

To install just extract the attached ZIP file into your snippets directory and then create a new snippet called CM.Register using the code in the register.snippet.php file.

If you have any questions or feedback please let us know.

-----

The Campaign Monitor Registration snippet is outputs a registration form which allows users to subscribe to your Campaign Monitor lists.

Originally based on the WebSignup snippet created by Raymond Irving.

When the user registers the snippet:
              - creates a web user
              - adds the user to one or multiple user groups
              - adds the user to one or multiple Campaign Monitor lists provided they opt-in

Parameters (all optional):
              - tpl Chunk name or document ID to user as a template
              - useCaptcha Select whether to use (1) or not to use (0) a CAPTCHA on registration form. If not defined will default to system setting.
              - groups Comma separated list of user groups to add the user to
              - apikey Your Campaign Monitor API Key. Required if you wish to add users to your Campaign Monitor lists.
              - lists Comma separated list of Campaign Monitor ListIDs you want to add the user to. Required if you wish to add users to your Campaign Monitor lists.

Example:
              [!CM.Register? &tpl=`Form.CM.Register` &groups=`Contributors,Subscribers` &useCaptcha=`1` &apikey=`10101010101010101010101010101010` &lists=`10101010101010101010101010101010,10101010101010101010101010101010`!]
                • 1,118 Posts
                Great News!

What will this plugin actually offer me within MODx to be able to do once installed?

Cheers
                  The Campaign Monitor Registration snippet is outputs a registration form which allows users to subscribe to your Campaign Monitor lists.

When the user registers [via] the snippet:
                  - creates a web user
                  - adds the user to one or multiple user groups [via the &groups param]
                  - adds the user to one or multiple Campaign Monitor lists provided they opt-in

It’s a Snippet, not a Plugin or Module, so it won’t work in the Manager. I suspect if response to the snippet goes well, a Plugin and/or Module will be next on the list of items to address.
                    Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                    Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                  • Should be easy enough... CM is really easy to integrate with...
                      • 9 Posts
                      Hey guys, just wondering if any of you had tried this out or had any feedback?

Quote from: rthrash at Sep 18, 2009, 01:59 PM

I suspect if response to the snippet goes well, a Plugin and/or Module will be next on the list of items to address.

Well I decided to go with a snippet because of the simplicity, I mean you can configure pretty much everything you need to in the snippet call itself, so I didn’t see a need for a plugin. If there’s actually a request for certain functionality that you could only get from a plugin then sure, but for what it is I didn’t think anything more than a snippet was necessary.