We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • OpenGeek stated that there will be differencies on user level but that each branches can provide is own class for user management.
    • Quote from: PatrickSamphire at Apr 01, 2009, 10:53 AM

Obviously, it makes sense to have forums for both branches of MODx, but in purely practical terms, 0.9.6 is what people are using right now and where the need is right now.

I totally agree with that... If the plan is to allow easy upgrading from the current MODx to Rev then why not create it for 9.6x with the work for Rev to be ongoing? I wouldn’t want to be alienated from a potentially great piece of software like a forum because it’s only for Rev that might not be ready for a while. From what I have read, upgrading current snippets etc is meant to be a fairly painless process so with that why not create it for 9.6x just now then when Rev becomes a more realistic software to use on production sites, to then do the painless upgrade?
        Ross Sivills - MD AugmentBLU Edinburgh, Scotland UK
        AugmentBLU - MODX Partner

BLUcart - MODX Revolution E-Commerce & Shopping Cart
      • As stated in my last post : "there will be differencies on user level but that each branches can provide is own class for user management"

and The exact words of OpenGeek:

"the component API should be built as an xPDO model anyway, regardless if it’s for 0.9.6.3. The user/permission system will be significantly different, but we can abstract that in the forum model so the Evo/Revo specific functionality can be plugged in.

Next, I am also already working on a data model for a threaded forum application that could be used as the foundation for interfaces developed for both 0.9.6.x/Evo and Revo. "

• Quote from: rossco at Apr 01, 2009, 01:24 PM

Quote from: PatrickSamphire at Apr 01, 2009, 10:53 AM

Obviously, it makes sense to have forums for both branches of MODx, but in purely practical terms, 0.9.6 is what people are using right now and where the need is right now.

I totally agree with that... If the plan is to allow easy upgrading from the current MODx to Rev then why not create it for 9.6x with the work for Rev to be ongoing? I wouldn’t want to be alienated from a potentially great piece of software like a forum because it’s only for Rev that might not be ready for a while. From what I have read, upgrading current snippets etc is meant to be a fairly painless process so with that why not create it for 9.6x just now then when Rev becomes a more realistic software to use on production sites, to then do the painless upgrade?
          Well, I have a different perspective. I can build this much faster in Revo than I can in 0.9.6 simply because I have all the services I need available to the core. For the 0.9.6.x version, those pieces would have to be custom coded and handled by additional code that basically replaces all those Revolution services. With that in mind, I am developing the core of my threaded discussion extension for Revo. I will be glad to collaborate with someone to help identify the parts that will need supporting code for an 0.9.6 version, but this is not trivial, because those parts include users, permissions, and any back-end management interfaces. It would have to be parallel effort from the same central "model" that is carefully crafted to make it easy for those parts to branch off for each target platform.

And to clarify, content migration from 0.9.6 to Revo will be fairly painless. However, code migration (snippets, plugins, and modules) will not be painless, though there will be a migration guide for MODx developers.
          • OpenGeek, there are obviously people who are interested, we can continue our discussusion here and wait for further news from you or should we apply now to CLA and start developing asap?

You did not precise what kind of forum module you’ve started to work on. More like a very simple forum module like bbpress, or a little more featured like fluxxbb?

Should we apply to CLA now or wait for more informations from you?

I’ve already told Ryan that i’m not familiar with Revolution but in the mean time, it may be interesting to start a dev team now.

I know that for many users, switching to revolution will not happen as it come out, that’s why "we" wanted a forum module for the old branch.
            If Revolution comes out with solid extensions, it will be accepted faster (dev would be able to test it right away and plan their switch faster than divide forces on develloping on both branches).
            • Whether or not it’s Revo/Evo/096x go ahead and get the CLA’s signed. He’s simply working on a highly optimized threaded discussion model, not a module per se. The module will be what we make of it wink.
                Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                • 66 Posts
                Any news on any of this?
                • Quote from: coffee_bean at May 15, 2009, 09:33 AM

Any news on any of this?
                  I am working on a data model for this in my spare time, though that is not abundant at the moment. I need a couple more weeks to make sure Revo beta release and Revo documentation efforts are on track, and then I will refocus on this and a few other key extras, starting with a wiki project so we can start organizing ideas and collaborating on efforts.
                    • 66 Posts
                    Thanks Jason. Great stuff.
                      • 615 Posts
                      That is absolutely fantastic. Thanks! smiley
                        I think, thererfor I am! But what I am, and why...?