We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 2,877 Posts
    A working bridge would be awesome and I’d pay up some dollars.

But for a small commuity < 100 of employees or friends
    Jot snippet serving as user-guestbooks works out nice IMO.

@hawproductions | http://mrhaw.com/

Infograph: MODX Advanced Install in 7 steps:
      http://forums.modx.com/thread/96954/infograph-modx-advanced-install-in-7-steps

Recap: Portland, OR (PDX) MODX CMS Meetup, Oct 6, 2015. US Bancorp Tower
      http://mrhaw.com/modx_portland_oregon_pdx_modx_cms_meetup_oct_2015_us_bancorp_tower
    • we’ve not had a compelling reason until now

Without sounding ungrateful, quite the opposite; that read (in my mind) that it’s only now being looked at now that the modx team see the need. There’s been quite a few posts about it so I’m surprised there was no feeling of it being a compelling reason. Obviously that bring us back to the point of doing something yourself, time and effort but just seems like now it’s only suitable to the modx site itself, that it’s a reason.

Quote from: mrhaw at Mar 24, 2009, 02:40 AM

But for a small commuity < 100 of employees or friends
      Jot snippet serving as user-guestbooks works out nice IMO.

Hmmm even with 100 people using Jot I would be over concerned about the admin work and keeping track of things... I would use jot for no more than 20 people myself, I run a forum with 1400+ members so I know the amount of hassle Jot would quickly create after a month of fair use. but I know what you mean... as a guest book, Jot would be fine, anything more than that I would be wondering when things would slow down or become unmanageable.

Don’t take my post as being offensive... I love modx and appreciate the work that you all put in to help me. Hopefully there will be a solution for the 0.9.6+ branch of modx if it’s likely that Rev is still going to be quite a bit away from being completed. My concern with Rev is the custom work and hacks I’ve done to current snippets won’t be ported over to Rev very easily so I’m looking at using 0.9.6+ for a while yet and the added bonus of forum integration would seriously be the icing on the cake in my opinion.
        Ross Sivills - MD AugmentBLU Edinburgh, Scotland UK
        AugmentBLU - MODX Partner

BLUcart - MODX Revolution E-Commerce & Shopping Cart
        • 2,877 Posts
        @rossco I feel and hear ya smiley I’m just consider MODx houses to be nice VIP-lounges for smaller
        groups of important people! Not big annonymous crowds or spambots. wink JoCo Jot module to the rescue.
        With some tricks you can have 3-4 moderators (company bosses) that not only moderate comments made but also
        are in contol of topics (message boards) this through Newsmanager.
          @hawproductions | http://mrhaw.com/

Infograph: MODX Advanced Install in 7 steps:
          http://forums.modx.com/thread/96954/infograph-modx-advanced-install-in-7-steps

Recap: Portland, OR (PDX) MODX CMS Meetup, Oct 6, 2015. US Bancorp Tower
          http://mrhaw.com/modx_portland_oregon_pdx_modx_cms_meetup_oct_2015_us_bancorp_tower
        • Yeah jot is great for personal sites... even for client ticket systems like what I have made for one of my sites. In conjunction with FDM it works nicely but I would only use this for a small userbase.

I think I have created more posts about integrating a forum with modx than anyone on here so it’s definitely in my interest but I seriously understand the effort people put in to these kinds of integrations. I don’t want to come off as being an idiot but hopefully show people that have the ability that there is most certainly a group of user who would really like to see an integration. I remember when ScottyD created Treasurechest... I was one of the first to get hold of it. I happily paid $20 (i think) for the script.... Now it’s free which is great but $20 was nothing to me and I wanted to show my appreciation to ScottyD for his time and effort. Now I wouldn’t of been able to afford to commission it, it might of cost $1,000; who knows... but the idea of getting a cloud of interested users who all might pay $20 a pop for a tutorial and working script might net the person $500! I have 3 sites I would use a forum on if I could integrate it, I’d gladly pay $20 a site but I simply can’t afford $500 on my own.

I in no way expect things for free so if someone has a solution then if you want to make some cash back for your efforts, how about a small fee for the code?

• We can eventually make a team and build a forum you will use the MODx logic call and template chunk.
            I’m absolutely sure that MODx can be the base for a forum like PunBB (and even more but it will take some times).

If there are people interested to start this kind of project, i’m totally in. I can foresee that a complete forum running only in MODx Revolution, with manager interactions (build with extjs), full separation between code and templating, use of xPDO would be a definitive killer feature.

Will be a great amount of work though.

Anyone interested?
            • I am in no way able to code at any kind of level that this will require so all I could help out with is xhtml and css as I’m pretty good with that.... also graphics but I know that this will require more than that LOL!

• 285 Posts
                I’m interested in hearing from people about how much work it would be (and thus how much it would cost) to either create a native forum or a bullet-proof, fully-integrated bridge in MODx evolution.

I’m going to try to lean on my boss to put some money into MODx development as we now have quite a lot of sites. I’ve got several other projects as priorities too, but if a forum could be achieved at a reasonable cost, it might be something I could argue for.
                  • 386 Posts
                  Realistic development time/cost for a forum with basic to moderate functionality (like, say, the one in Silverstripe), built from the ground up for the evo branch and integrated in to the Manager - I’d say would be in the region of 50-75 hours, which for me at least would be £4,500-£6,750 (UK) for the initial dev.

I am not volunteering to do it however (no time for anything these days), but I’m prepared to put £50 or so into the hat for the job should anyone want to take it on.

Perhaps we could start a fundable.com account? I believe their fee is not charged for open source projects.

Snippets: GoogleMap | FileDetails | Related Plugin: SSL
                    • 4,205 Posts
                    Quote from: therebechips at Mar 26, 2009, 12:00 PM
                    Perhaps we could start a fundable.com account? I believe their fee is not charged for open source projects.
                    Good idea. I am sure many will chip in. I am not too confident that the entire 5K will be reached by individuals (maybe with some corporate backing).

Maybe this can be paired to work with the Open Funding idea: http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,32059.0.html
                      [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don&#39;t know what it is.
                      Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]
                      • 285 Posts
                      Quote from: therebechips at Mar 26, 2009, 12:00 PM

Realistic development time/cost for a forum with basic to moderate functionality (like, say, the one in Silverstripe), built from the ground up for the evo branch and integrated in to the Manager - I’d say would be in the region of 50-75 hours, which for me at least would be £4,500-£6,750 (UK) for the initial dev.

I am not volunteering to do it however (no time for anything these days), but I’m prepared to put £50 or so into the hat for the job should anyone want to take it on.

Sadly that would be beyond what I could get for the project. I’ve no idea whether I can contribute to a fund, because my institution has very strict procedures on payments.

Do you think a robust integration of SMF, for example, would be as expensive?