We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 7,075 Posts
    Quote from: Djamoer at Jan 26, 2006, 05:29 AM
    Another benefit of having phorum is that, I can run phorum inside a snippet. So by calling a snippet, you will have the forum embeded into the page, isn’t it cool? I’m excited with this functionality honestly. laugh

Now you’re having me pretty much interrested here, I can see how it would be beneficial in terms of rapid deployment and design... once again, nice work man !
      .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
      • 1,495 Posts
      Thanks David. That’s just my first step in learning what can be done by integrating phorum into our system. I think both MODx and phorum has a really lite core compare to the other Open Source system in their area of expertise. So by having both of this integration, we can bring more joy to second tier user, or even to the first ier user, don’t you think? laugh
        Wendy Novianto
        [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
        [font=Verdana]Xituz Media
        • 160 Posts
        Has any headway been made on this integration? I just registered the domain names refreshdelval.org and refreshabe.org and would love to use a modx and phorum integration on both of them. The Refresh Initiative is a loosely tied together group of sites made by and for W3 and WAI standards aware web developers. Would be great publicity for y’all if I can do this, since Refresh is a rolling snowball quickly turning into an avalanche right now . . . I volunteer to be a guinea pig for any alpha testing smiley
          "I’d love to change the world but I can’t find the source code . . ."

Custom ModX Templates
          • 1,495 Posts
          Hi kickass,

so far the support from phorum is really great. Maurice had helped us by creating a module called embed_phorum, and it allow us to disabled the user registration and etc from phorum, and it will use the on from the main application.

So anyway, I did the integration, and it works fine, except for the user integration. Currently I’m planning to back off for a while with the user integration, until I find a better idea to integrate a better user system for MODx. If you read about GreenCore next major release, I’m planning to find a solution for GreenFuse (New user Auth System), and I believe by having the new user based auth for MODx, the rest of the phorum integration will be easy.

Check this out http://test.djamoer.net/phorum.html

If you just want to use one user base, and which is everything will be based on phorum you can embed the phorum into MODx as a snippet easily. You can check out the link if you don’t believe it.

If you have any further question, feel free to post.

Sincerely,
            Wendy Novianto
            • 160 Posts
            Wendy, thanks for answering!

Now, let me get this straight- I can have both up and running and folks will be able to sign up for either/or and be registered for both, right? That’s basically all I want. Any bells and whistles down the road would be nice, but we can grow those on later.

So am I right in seeing I can do this now with that snippet? I’d rather use ModX for these sites. The WP stuff for forums is so minimal and unpolished. The ModX and Phorum marriage seems much more growth oriented from both the blog end and the forum end. If that’s right, then where do I find that snippet? I just searched and this thread is the only mention of it.

Custom ModX Templates
              • 1,495 Posts
              As for now, I haven’t implement any of those auth sync yet. All I did is simply fetching the phorum to be displayed inside MODx. The users will need to register to the phorum, as well as to MODx. There is no sync bridge being made yet.

Do you know any PHP and MySql kickass? I already did half of the integration, so all you need is create the handler for registering the user to phorum or delete the user from phorum, when something happening on user registration/deletion in MODx. This can be achieved using plugin.

If you want the full integration, you might need to wait for a while, because I will put this project onhold for a while, and I will work on MODx user base system, so I can rest assure knowing that my integration can be use for future release as well. Thank for your interest though, because you choose the right combination. FYI, phorum is the system that is used by MySql forum, and you won’t realize it due to the flexibility in templating, as well as the lite and flexible backend of it. So anyway, I’m really excited to combine both of this flexible system into one. More to come, planning to have blog comment/article comment fetched from phorum, because somebody already did it on phorum community, so it won’t be hard, the only real challenge will be the user integration, that’s all grin

PS: I attached the snippet, if you want to call phorum inside MODx, even though I know that you won’t use it, because there is no point in doing that. FYI, this a really old version of phorum fetching, before Maurice from phorum decided to create embed_phorum module.
                Wendy Novianto
                • 160 Posts
                Thanks, Wendy. Unfortunately I’m pretty much strictly front end, though I will have a friend take a look at this and see if he has time to figure it out, he’s clever with php and mysql. If he does get it done I’ll post it for everyone’s benefit. If anyone else has already done this and can tell me how, I’d LOVE to hear from you.

Now if I can talk you into "bridging" ModX and Esyndicat . . .

Custom ModX Templates
                  • 1,495 Posts
                  Private message me tomorow, so that I can include the snippet that I already have for using embed_phorum module create dby Maurice. It will save your friends ton of tim ein integrating phorum and MODx.
                    Wendy Novianto
                    • 835 Posts
                    Hi

I test the snippet.

Phorum is installed in /assets/modules/phorum

I copy/past the snippet and call it qith the syntax [[phorum]]
                    The phorum do not appear ?

The test page

Thank’s
                      • 160 Posts
                      Sorry Wendy, didn’t mean to stop the communication, you’ve been very helpful. But my pal who is more php/mysql oriented than I am either doesn’t have the time now or he’s feeling not up to the challenge, I’m not sure which.

If you do get this going, give a holler. Meanwhile I’m gonna give the civicspace version of Drupal a test drive. I know that templating that particular pup is gonna have me VERY appreciative of ModX once again, same way Joomla did. I’m just can’t WAIT for ModX to "grow up" a bit more and grab some of the functionality of those others, since I know how superior ModX is in every other way. I’d love to become a one-cms girl for sure . . . *sigh*

Custom ModX Templates