We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,495 Posts
    Anybody ever heard about phorum? I like those software, simple, fast, and easily integrated. All that I need right now is to get use to the software, as well as finding the right solution, to either use MODx build user system or use phorum’s instead. So far I still think that the current user system is kinda limited, considering the future roadmap, which is going to revamp the user system.

Any suggestion on how I should approach this?
    I wouldn’t mind to take on this project, if somebody could direct me to the right direction on which user system that I should be using, and how to approach it, so that it can easily be updated to the future release.

Thanks
      Wendy Novianto
      [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
      [font=Verdana]Xituz Media
      • 7,075 Posts
      Yeah I know phorum, but if we integrate a light, fast and secure forum I’d rather we choose PunBB or UNB... or for very light forums, MiniBB or Vanilla...
        .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
        • 1,495 Posts
        Hemm..

I think the reason I choose phorum is because it provides a portable capability to integrate multi site installation, as well as allowing the phorum to be integrated as a function calling to certain cms system. It also provides authentication via other user system, instead of using their default auth.

I haven’t checked the code yet, but it seems to be a promising features that most board doesn’t have, unless you go into hacking the code. But who knows this will be hard to do in phorum as well..

We’ll see, I’ll update the progress, when I found out more from phortum
          Wendy Novianto
          • 7,075 Posts
          Okay wendy, didn’t know that ! That should be taken into account indeed, and phorum is a good ap. I was just pointing out a personnal preference.

Those "pros" in favor of Phorum certainly tip the scale in its favor smiley
          Plus I must admit it seems many things have been improved since I last tested it (a year and a half)... very nice !
            .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
          • In case anyone is looking for it: http://www.phorum.org/
              Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
              • 1,495 Posts
              It’s still lacking a lot of things though (for example bb editor, which you need to include it as a plugin). But the core is so simple, which seems just like MODx, isn’t it? smiley I haven’t see how easy to extend the system, but it might be one lightweight forum software that can easily be used as our addon to MODx.
                Wendy Novianto
                • 835 Posts
                  • 1,495 Posts
                  nice link, I’ll surely use those.

Thanks
                    Wendy Novianto
                    • 1,495 Posts
                    I’m thinking to use the current built in user system on phorum, and shadow it to MODx, instead of vice versa. What do you guys think?

I think I can achieve this by creating a plugin on MODx to check phorum auth system, and create all needed session variable for MODx, so that the user will be recognized by MODx system.

What do you guys think?
                      Wendy Novianto
                      • 1,495 Posts
                      After spending a few hours on reading the forums on phorum.org as well as getting a feedback from Jason. I think it will still be best to use MODx as the core user administration.

Here is what I have in mind. It will be great to have a web user on MODx to activate their account before they use forum. All we need is creating a new db table to keep track the shadowing id between the web user and the user on phorum. Basically, when the user login using MODx system, they will be log into the forum as well. So the password and username on phorum will be useless.

Another benefit of having phorum is that, I can run phorum inside a snippet. So by calling a snippet, you will have the forum embeded into the page, isn’t it cool? I’m excited with this functionality honestly. laugh

One other thing that might be an added features to MODx is that we can set phorum to run as commenting system on MODx. Isn’t it cool??? grin

Oh well, that’s just the beginning. Currently I have my hands full. SO if somebody wanna start working on this, feel free to PM me, I can guide you through the correct way of integrating it, but for now I’ll need to work on some other things. So project will be postponed for a while.

Sincerely,
                        Wendy Novianto