We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 155 Posts
    Quote from: Carsten at Jun 20, 2005, 05:44 AM

hmmmm, I don’t entirely remember the reason why but I’m going to quote from another site (actually the ezSQL site) ... "phpBB Forum was too hackable. Have had to close forums until we can find a more secure solution. Please try back in a month or so."

Actually, this board is slowly starting to grow on me smiley

@ progress
    hehe, where are we?

I actually agree.

I went to the old standard view, and I just came back to the forum default. Its easier for me to manage all of the forums I have to look into...so I guess I was proven wrong!

Viva la SMF!
    • I have to say though that when we finally make it to the official 1.0 release we’ll probably use a more traditional forum layout for no other reason than that’s what folks are accustomed to using. The layout I’ll use though will be an updated version of this one... it makes it way too easy for me to keep up with what’s going on!
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 25 Posts
        Quote from: jlarson at May 22, 2005, 04:49 AM

It took me a few hours to figure out that SSI.php, a collection of functions built for interfacing with SMF, needs to be included outside of a class.  So I included it in index.php.  You can then call the functions from a snippet, or easier still, use SniperX’s solution to directly including PHP, posted on the Etomite forum (below).  The problem of course with this setup is that it includes all the SMF files with every page load, whether or not they are needed.  I’d welcome ideas on another way to handle this one.

SniperX’s solution: http://www.etomite.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2475&hl=include

To come back to this issue that wasn’t really addressed, I’ve got a current eto setup linked to phpBB using the SniperX solution (essentially, make the parser go ahead and execute inline PHP in templates, chunks, etc.), and I’m wondering if there’s a correct way I can do much the same thing w/ plugins or whatnot? I’m pretty sure it’s a big security hole -- that is if there were more than just me with access to build pages.

All I really want is "simple" integration; phpBB manages the web users seperate from the CMS users, the CMS pages include a few basics from phpBB -- name, avatar, recent posts, etc. via the phpBB Fetch All mod.

I’m still trying to get my head around @EVAL and all the other stuff, and it doesn’t seem to let me do what I’m thinking I need to do -- include a chunk of raw PHP into the template.  Since the docs are rather new, and aren’t really written for a newb to the system like me, I was wondering if anyone could point to / post any examples that would get me where I need to for the short term?

Otherwise, interesting re-do, this ModX. I hope I can get enough of a handle on it to roll with it!
        • You’ll want to implement this as a Module in MODx. This is basically a place to run external PHP applications and then allow access to MODx API’s within the module code, or access the external application features from dependent components in the module. A module consists of the core module PHP code, plus a set of components that are both dependent on the module and can share configuration properties with it.

We have an SMF module that goes a little deeper and syncronizes user accounts and allows custom configuration of the module; it’s still being tested and tweaked for implementation on this MODx CMS site. It will be available in the very near future, as an example of the power of Modules. In addition, I plan on doing something similar for a WordPress module, once I find some time to do so.
            • 113 Posts
            Actually as of at least TP3.1 it now works to include SSI.php in a snippet. Here is a simple example for a blog page:
            include "forum/SSI.php";       //change this location for your setup
            $array = ssi_boardNews($id, null, null, null, 'array');

foreach ($array as $blog)
            	{
            	      $output.="<div class='ssi_table'><div style='float:right'>".$blog['time']."</div><span class='heading1'>". $blog['subject'] ."</span><br /><br />";
            	      $output.=$blog['body']."<br />";
                          $output.=$blog['link']."  |  ". $blog['new_comment'] ."<br /><br />";
                          $output.="</div><br />";
            	}

return $output;

• 1 Posts
              I would really like to see some of these modules for examples.

I recently ran across mercuryboard. I have looked extensively at the code and it is a nice board and well thought out. For the features it has it is roughly half the size of most other boards with the same functionality. Only downside is that a few months ago the lead dev said he is going back to college and wont have much time to fix things anymore.

So I grabbed the latest cvs and have already started working on it for now I’ve added a little seo realted stuff and I’ll be working on it more later. The thing is that after doing dev work for postnuke and phpbb i look at this app and it is very well thought out and handles things in a very simple and elegant manner. I see solutions to problems i have faced on those other systems that this one handles very simply. It is a joy to see code like this.

All accept for one thing the theme design in this thing is not as nice as dealing with etomite. It’s nice and all but the actual template files are not intuitive.

Anyway if anybody else would like to see it for themeselves you can see it here:
              http://forums.mercuryboard.com/

my dev version has not changed much but I’m trying to figure out a way to implament a better way to do the themes.

Like I said I would really like to see the modules for smf so I can use it as an example for porting this forum for use with modx.

And last but not least did i mention mercuryboard is GPL. Much better use of my time to add features to mercury board than to mess with something that is not open source(as in freedom and no you can not redistribute smf even in an unmodified form so there is no freedom).
                • 577 Posts
                Boy has that board come a long way! I remember when it first came out.

I wonder how the speed and features compare with SMF.

I do agree that GPL is definitely a bonus point.
                  Tangent-Warrior smiley
                  • 25 Posts
                  To resurrect this one a bit, I figured out my phpBB integration problem and was able to make everything snippetized by using sloppy ol’ globals correctly. Which I didn’t know how to do until just yesterday. smiley So now they don’t need that "SniperX mod" and seems to work fine on my test install of MODx

I posted them over here if anyone is interested in playing around with it. In that thread, another guy bundled my original chunks with the additional phpBB mods you’ll need to get it to integrate, and a chunk he wrote for document authentication using the phpBB logged-in status.

More work to be done, but I thought I’d share for anyone else looking to do the same thing.
                    • 16 Posts
                    I am also very interested in integrating SMF or PunBB with MODx. I will be watching for plug ins or instructions on how to do it. That would be nice.

Like this site for instance. I really like how it has been done. A lot to be exact.

Will the layout be available? I really dig it.
                      • 16 Posts
                      Quote from: rthrash at Jun 20, 2005, 02:18 PM

I have to say though that when we finally make it to the official 1.0 release we’ll probably use a more traditional forum layout for no other reason than that’s what folks are accustomed to using. The layout I’ll use though will be an updated version of this one... it makes it way too easy for me to keep up with what’s going on!

I like this layout very much. I downloaded the CSS to see how it was done. wink