We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 788 Posts
    That looks correct. I am not certain why it wouldn’t take your email and override the fake one that I have in there. I will take a look and see if I can duplicate it.

Jesse R.
      Consider trying something new and extraordinary.
      Illinois Wine

Have you considered donating to MODx lately?
      Donate now. Every contribution helps.
      • 380 Posts
      This looks like a great snippet but I can’t seem to get it to work.

I keep on getting the error message "The server appears to be down."

My calendar is set to public sharing and the feed link that google gives me is as follows...

http://www.google.com/calendar/feeds/canvas.events%40gmail.com/public/basic

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

I call the snippet with the following:

[!googleEvents?&dayNameSize=`full`&outputType=`calendar`&calendarType=`wide`&email=`[email protected]`!]
        • 788 Posts
        The likely result of this error is that your server doesn’t support the use of opening HTTP through FURL, and further that your server doesn’t support CURL.

In the code, could you locate where it says "The server appears to be down." and add this line after it:

echo $file;

Then paste that information when trying to run the snippet back here. That way I can make sure that the address that the snippet is trying to pull information from is correct.

Jesse
          Jesse R.
          Illinois Wine

• 380 Posts
          after doing as you suggested I saw that the [email protected] was still in the file string.

Turns out the email attribute wasn’t being passed to the snippent which I have since corrected (syntax error on my part) and now it is working correctly.

Thank you for your time and responce. you definitely pointed me to a solution

Thanks
          Brian
            • 788 Posts
            Great to hear that it is working. Yeah, when I first started doing calls to snippets, I would usually have some very basic syntax error on my part. Usually I would place a ’$’ in the call instead of a ’&’ because PHP uses the former for its variable declarations.

Jesse
              Jesse R.
              Illinois Wine

• 380 Posts
              Well the snippet is working good, although one thing I noted.

Has anyone else noticed that the [+where+] placeholder is quite flaky at times?

73% of the time it Location/[+where+] won’t render at all (not even in the HTML)

25% of the time only the first many events in a list will show the location, all others are blank.

2% of the time I get them all to render.

If you just keep on hitting refresh some render, some don’t.

This this is just a something with my system or can others replicate?

Thanks
              Brian
                • 788 Posts
                It could very well be a bug. This was my second snippet at parsing XML, and I still probably have a bunch to learn. I will try to take a look at the code I use for grabbing the where information.

Jesse
                  Jesse R.
                  Illinois Wine

• 788 Posts
                  It is definitely reproducible and is definitely a bug. Thanks for finding it, I am going to look at fixing it today if I can figure out how to correct my logic. Please let me know if you find any other bugs. I would like to make sure this works flawlessly.

Jesse

Quote from: betoranaldi at Dec 21, 2006, 01:30 PM

Well the snippet is working good, although one thing I noted.

Has anyone else noticed that the [+where+] placeholder is quite flaky at times?

73% of the time it Location/[+where+] won’t render at all (not even in the HTML)

25% of the time only the first many events in a list will show the location, all others are blank.

2% of the time I get them all to render.

If you just keep on hitting refresh some render, some don’t.

This this is just a something with my system or can others replicate?

Thanks
                  Brian
                    Jesse R.
                    Illinois Wine

• 380 Posts
                    Excellent, I will definitely let you know if I find any other problems.

Thank you for taking the time to create this excellent snippet!

Quote from: jesster444 at Dec 21, 2006, 06:48 PM

It is definitely reproducible and is definitely a bug. Thanks for finding it, I am going to look at fixing it today if I can figure out how to correct my logic. Please let me know if you find any other bugs. I would like to make sure this works flawlessly.

Jesse
                      • 788 Posts
                      Ok, so the more I look at it, the more complicated I think it is going to be. Unfortunately, the information for the "where" tag isn’t consistently in the same place when reading the feed from Google. Why the feed places the information for the "where" tag in different places is something Google would have to answer. I believe it has to do with recurring events. If you don’t use recurring events and/or reminders, does the code consistently work for you? I know the original code I based this off of didn’t support recurring events. As such, I will probably have to completely rethink how I am parsing the XML that I am receiving, so the updated snippet will likely be a little farther out, ETA wise.

Jesse
                        Jesse R.
                        Illinois Wine