We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 173 Posts
    I just want to say thanks for making this plugin, I wish I had known about it sooner.

Kick on!

Simon
      I made my first site with modx
      ------------------------
      Shopping blog
      Sky+ HD
    • MEGU, in your posting (http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,12452.msg121345.html#msg121345) you had mentioned having problems with the Strict URL and Jot (and I believe eForm as well). I know you posted the response 10 months ago, but in the event anyone else can find this helpful, on the SEO Override that you set up for that document, you have to choose "Append Extension" ... I was having the same problem as you and when I made this change, it allowed for the comment to be posted through Jot. The problem is that when Jot posts the comment, it appends more text to the end of the alias, (i.e. it goes from blog-test-1 to blog-test-1.html#jf7904b4a7). When "base name" is chosen in the T.V. for the SEO Override, it can’t append the necessary extra text in the alias and therefore it won’t post the comment. Hope that helps.
        Precision Web Development ... SmashStack.com
        • 130 Posts
        Quote from: flinx at Sep 02, 2008, 05:32 AM

The problem is that when Jot posts the comment, it appends more text to the end of the alias, (i.e. it goes from blog-test-1 to blog-test-1.html#jf7904b4a7). When "base name" is chosen in the T.V. for the SEO Override, it can’t append the necessary extra text in the alias and therefore it won’t post the comment. Hope that helps.

While this does work, I’d love to see a better solution for it. The thing is...on my site I have everything configured for Base Name with the exception of the Blog posts. I love the look of just a base name, but now the blog posts have a .html extension just to avoid this problem. I don’t particularly like the inconsistency in the look of the site URLs. Is there any fundamental reason why the jot string couldn’t potentially be appended to a string without the extension? Maybe this could be on a future improvement list for SEO Strict?

P.S. You can check out my site to see an example of this (Blog Post has .html but nothing else does) http://seoconductor.com

-Brian
          • 130 Posts
          Or perhaps the place for the improvement is actually the Jot Plug-in? I’d be glad to post this on that thread.
            • 130 Posts
            On another topic...

I am using the SEO strict plugin on my site and am really glad it’s here because I consider it indispensable.

I’m searching for a convenient/ModX automated way to take the site down for maintenance without risking being indexed by a search bot during the maintenance period. What I want is to have an HTTP status 503 reported while the site is down.

In "Tools\Configuration" ModX has a config item called "Site Status". When the site is set to "Offline", it displays a text message when anyone hits the site. Displaying a generic text message isn’t very appealing and doesn’t stick with the site theme, so I wanted to have a custom maintenance page.

In the configuration settings there is an option to set the "Site unavailable page" to a specific doc id. This looks like a great solution so I created a page based off my default template to indicate a Maintenance status and set this option to point to it.

Now here’s the problem...When SEO Strict plug-in is disabled, I can set the Site status to offline and all page requests for the site return a 503 and the "Site Unavailable" document is shown. Works great.

When I re-enable the SEO strict plug-in, the site unavailable doc is shown and a 301 Response is returned. This would be bad if the search bot gets a 301during this time.

Another note: For some reason this is not a problem if you are just using the generic text string to indicate the site is down. In that case a 503 is reported even with the SEO-strict enabled.

I’m going to keep tinkering with it but thought I’d post this in case anyone already knows the solution.

Thanks,
            -Brian

• 24,544 Posts
              I’m guessing here, but this code in the plugin looks like it might be the culprit:

if ($documentIdentifier == $modx->config['site_start'])
                    {
                       if ($requestedURL != $modx->config['site_url'])
                       {
                          // Force redirect of site start
                          header("HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently");
                          $qstring = preg_replace("#(^|&)(q|id)=[^&]+#", '', $parts[1]);  // Strip conflicting id/q from query string
                          if ($qstring) header('Location: ' . $modx->config['site_url'] . '?' . $qstring);
                          else header('Location: ' . $modx->config['site_url']);
                          exit(0);
                       }
                    }

If so, this might fix it:

if ( $requestedURL != $modx->config['site_url']  && $modx->config['site_status'] == 1 ) {

That should short-circuit the 301 if the site is offline.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                • 970 Posts
                About Jot/eForm problem with this plugin, I think the URL rewriting rule in this plugin is not good...

I modified this plugin. Just reordered rewriting rule ( no additional functions ).
                And it seems to be working fine...

I’m not an expert of PHP coding. I hope someone else would brush up this one.

http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=19404.0;attach=6011
                  • 130 Posts
                  Quote from: BobRay at Oct 01, 2008, 04:32 AM

If so, this might fix it:

if ( $requestedURL != $modx->config['site_url']  && $modx->config['site_status'] == 1 ) {

That should short-circuit the 301 if the site is offline.

I tried this code change out and it does appear to fix the problem! So how do changes like this make it into a new version of the plugin? Does the author monitor this forum to review these for inclusion?
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    Quote from: bmilton at Oct 02, 2008, 08:31 PM

I tried this code change out and it does appear to fix the problem! So how do changes like this make it into a new version of the plugin? Does the author monitor this forum to review these for inclusion?

In theory, yes. The originator of this thread was last on the forums on August 20. His home page is: http://www.stanback.net/ according to his profile and there’s a contact link at the bottom of the home page if you want to contact him.

My fix was pretty much a shot in the dark so I wouldn’t be comfortable committing it to the repository without someone with a better understanding of the plugin taking a look at it.

OTOH, if the fix works and has no bad side effects, the author will likely see it in this thread before posting a new version so you don’t have to worry about it being over-written.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                      My MODX Extras
                      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                      • 2,314 Posts
                      Hi there! [solved]

how can i assign the "Override TV Setup"-TV to the "(blank)" template, that i have to choose when creating a sitemap.xml-document? i just got the option for all my other templates, but not blank...

thank you, regards, j

*edit: well i guess i have to create a new template which is "blank" and not use the standard blank-option...right?

*edit2: btw, i can’t create a sitemap.xml-document with anything other than the standard (blank) template-option, if i create a new (empty) template and assign the "Override TV Setup"-TV to it, it won’t create the sitemap.xml file

[solved] i needed to place [*content*] in the empty template