We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 834 Posts
    Ah,

now I’m getting the picture.

I’ve been using Modx for awhile for my own site and several others, but I’ve hardly used Ditto.

Now I’ve just got so fed up with having to hack and fix my wordpress blog all the time, that I’ve decided it’s time to recreate it in Modx.

I get a sense that life would be easier if it was all in Modx, but obviously I have to start from scratch with the blog.

Time to enter study mode again.

Thanks

grin

Content Creator and Copywriter
      • 354 Posts
      You did a great job on this one! I managed to get it working on my test installation. So far I’ve experimented with the news example (list,manage,edit). Soon I will probably look into the others as well.

I might use this for a client in the near future. If I add anything that could be useful to others I will share it.

It would be a nice feature to be able to have tags management too. It is not a must-have for my project though smiley

PS: You had a good point recommending alias over id’s. I never gave it much thought before.
        • 5 Posts
        Hey guys,

Just a quick question. I want to be able to add small "avatars" for my news stories to my news blog.

I guessed the best way to do this was add a TV and make it reuse a field I didn’t really plan on using, such as longtitle.

I seem to have set all that up correct, however I really want to front end to be able to use the TV type "image" selector, so that users can pick an avatar from a gallery. The TV is set to "Image" type, which in the Manager of course shows correctly as an image picker.

But in the pubKit front end page its rendered as nothing at all, no image picker or nothing.

Can anyone shed any light on this as to why? Im guessing somehow the image picking function isn’t available on a front end page: huh

Thanks!
        • Check your configuration; in Interface and Features I believe there is a setting for allowing it on the front-end.
            Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
            Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
            Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
            • 3 Posts
            Is it possible to have hyperlinks in documents created with Pubkit? My initial attempts have not been successful.

What we would like to do is create a news/blog post at weekly intervals but link to events which may be covered by several news/blog posts.
              • 928 Posts
              Where would you like the hyperlinks? Hyperlinks entered via the rich text editor work normally, they just become part of the [*content*].

If you need a separate field, it should be possible to add a TV to the relevant template and set PubKit up to handle it by adding the TV to the array in the class definition. See pkVenue and pkContact in the event listing example (see event.class.inc.php in the online documentation on Pogwatch. Once a TV is in that array, its connection to the resource is handled automatically. These are simple text fields, I’ve never tried using a URL TV, but I was experimenting with a File type TV for uplaods recently with no special headaches.

I’m working on an installer package for PubKit at the moment, and some better documentation. One thing I know is needed is to clarify what needs adjusting and where in order to add extra fields to the input forms. So please keep the questions coming!
              laugh KP
                • 3 Posts
                Thanks kp52

Where would you like the hyperlinks? Hyperlinks entered via the rich text editor work normally, they just become part of the [*content*].

That’s what I would have expected.

I entered [~2~] via the rich text editor, hoping for

<div id="content"> 	
                <p>this is a new <a href="index.php?id=2">link</a></p>	
                </div> <!-- end content-main -->

and this is what we get.

<div id="content"> 	
                <p>this is a new <a href=\"\">link</a></p>	
                </div> <!-- end content-main -->

Perhaps it is my setup. I currently ’on-the-road’ so will try again when I get another chance.
                  • 928 Posts
                  The slashes before the quote marks usually indicate you may have "magic quotes" enabled in PHP. They need to be switched off in php.ini (I think there are other ways if you can’t update that).
                  smiley KP
                    • 3 Posts
                    Thanks that did the trick. I came to much the same conclusion while driving through the Carrabassett Valley, in Northern Maine this afternoon.
                      • 928 Posts
                      PubKit 0.7.1 is now attached here and to the original post. There are no massive changes to the workings of the snippet itself, but the package now includes an installer (based on the MODx 1.0.4 installer), so there’s no longer a need for lots of copy and paste operations to get started. I think many people have been put off by the need to do this.

A sample mini-site can be installed along with all the snippets, chunks etc. It creates a set of documents under one head document, demonstrating a set of typical calls and structures. If you install twice with the "sample site" checked, you’ll get a whole new set added, not overwrite the previous pages. Chunks etc. will be overwritten as usual. You need to open config.inc.php for writing to use the installer.

Documentation is now included in the package, with some screenshots. Pogwatch’s PubKit section has also been updated, including full listings. I hope to submit PubKit to the Extras in a day or two, one or two things to check first.
                      rolleyes KP