We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 49 Posts
    CMSMadeSimple - pretty much ok, but not valid
      • 7,075 Posts
      Yeah I tried it, it has potential since it’s built on a flexible and modular approach which is not that different from MODx... but yeah it still needs a lot of polishing
        .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
        • 1 Posts
        I used Both Movable Type and Textpattern, but both are not so easy to customize as MODx.
        I think is the best tool I have used so far for building web sites through a CMS.
          • 7,075 Posts
          I don’t agree with you about textpattern (Neither does John Hicks, one of the most reknown designer on the web... notice his website is txp powered...), it’s as easy to customize as it is with MODx. To me, you can not compare with Movable Type, which is way less flexible.

There are many similarities between MODx and textpattern, as far as design capabilities are concerned.Take chunks in MODx : they are very much akin to Forms in txp... I don’t have time to develop right now, but I felt at home instantly with MODx because its logic is so similar to Textpattern.

The thing MODx has that textpattern does not is Template Variables and illimited hierarchical structure, on this I agree... it means more flexibility to structure information. But here we’re talking information design, not web design (I know this is an intellectual posture but hey, I like clarity...)...
            .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
            • 1,193 Posts
            Just a casual observation, but David... You seem either very confrontational, or very amused with arguing.

-sD-
              Husband, Father, Brother, Son, Programmer, Atheist, Nurse, Friend, Lover, Fighter.
              All of the above... in no specific order.

I send pointless little messages
            • Well, we’re an enthusiastic bunch here, everybody has an opinion and isn’t afraid to express it. Personally, I like a good, spirited discussion.
                Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                • 59 Posts
                I built two production sites with Mambo/Joomla. Although I like Joomla, I don’t like the huge amount of time it takes me to build a site. Via a thread on the Textpattern site where a guy is very enthousiastic about Modx, I decided to give Modx a try. I have installed it on my Kubuntu (Linux) system and played with it for a couple of hours and I am impressed.
                Especially:
                1. good SEF URL’s
                2. Front site editing
                3. excellent XHTML/CSS standards compliant
                4. easier Manager GUI

I will now build a test site with Modx and dependent on my experience with that I might convert my two production site to Modx.

Keep up the good work!!

Bee
                  • 1,039 Posts
                  I will now build a test site with Modx and dependent on my experience with that I might convert my two production site to Modx.

As stated here I´m not satisfied with Mambo/Joomla anymore, for every customer a lot of hacking, missing user management, still table output everywhere and so on. So it´s time to try something: I´will try to understand modX and build a site till thursday morning (here it is already 00.22 AM). I only read a little bit in the documentation, the whole thing is complicated because of the very different wording in comparison to Joomla. I will try to make a simple Design, convert it to a template and blog the progress (of course offline first). Let´s see how flexible and easy to understand it is smiley

Greetz mmD
                    • 1,495 Posts
                    Agree to that, I did use Drupal for a while, and given up due to the complexity in understanding the term and creating a template.

This is the first CMS ever that I ever contribute in making several addition to the system, due to the easy to use api, and resources. Guess what, I really like the way how the templating system work in this cms.

My attempt in adopting open source cms is always ended up as a disappointment, and ended up making my own cms from scratch.

Glad to know this CMS, I will love this CMS more and more smiley
                      Wendy Novianto
                      [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
                      [font=Verdana]Xituz Media
                      • 61 Posts
                      Good ’ol Etomite. I used it back in the Phase days.

Before eto I used mambo a handful of times. I even tried php-nuke years ago, but normally don’t like to admit it.

...glad to be using modx now. Modx is slightly better than php-nuke wink