We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • This a good idea.

In the meantime, I would love to see Discuss out before thinking about a bridge laugh
      • 90 Posts
      So, I’m a little confused about Forum packages for revo. I see discussions about SMF, Vanilla, Discuss etc but I’m not sure what to use. Discuss looks the best option but I see it’s still in alpha - not sure that’s a good idea for a live site. See, I have a client who wants to move from Drupal to MODX, which is fine (and good), except they have some forums on their existing site and I really don’t want to commit to the development if I haven’t a forum package.

Advice anyone please?

thanks

David Heriot
        David Heriot
        pfsmedia
        • 24,544 Posts
        I haven’t used it myself but my sense from reading the forums is that Vanilla is the best choice.
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • Vanilla is the best for a simple forum solution (i don’t really like the overall organisation for daily use), SMF is not too shabby for more robust solution and IPBoard is the best forum software ever but not free.

Obviously, Discuss is going to better than all the others... when it will get out of it’s cave smiley
            • 1,613 Posts
            yup really would like a modx powered forum and not some intergration.
              Evolution user, I like the back-end speed and simplicity smiley
            • Vanilla now has nested categories and is a first class SSO solution. We’re going to use it at MODX.
                Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                • 390 Posts
                What version of Vanilla are you planning to use Ryan? I keep getting a ghost user created using the standard Vanilla SSO and MODx (no user returned by MODx creates blank user in Vanilla). The other downside is that there’s no baked-in way to get the MODx user data displayed or usable in Vanilla - eg to use MODx group information for authentication or role giving, or the MODx user profile in Vanilla to prevent the need for double entry by the user.

That said, the new embed Vanilla plugin is pretty sweet.

And I am but a nemotode on the dev evolutionary scale, and these problems will no doubt be child’s play to the core team.
                  Writer > E-consultant > MODx developer || Salesforce || modx 2.x || PHP 5.2.13 || MySQL client 5.0.86
                • Quote from: rthrash at Mar 04, 2011, 05:32 PM

Vanilla now has nested categories and is a first class SSO solution. We’re going to use it at MODX.

I do prefer SMF compared to Vanilla to follow conversations daily.

Ideally, the best one is IP Board, but since it’s a commercial forum i imagine that it is out of the question for modx.

All in all, at the end, a native solution will replace them all laugh
                  • We’ll be on whatever the latest release version when it’s completed. With their help, we now have all users, posts and PMs converted from SMF. Straightening out and streamling the SSO conversion with the modx accounts, Ignore boards and Solr search are our minimal things to get in place before we can flip the switch. That’s right, our forums search will stop sucking!
                      Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                    • Quote from: lossendae at Mar 04, 2011, 05:42 PM

Ideally, the best one is IP Board, but since it’s a commercial forum i imagine that it is out of the question for modx.

All in all, at the end, a native solution will replace them all laugh

We have zero hesitation about using commercial software actually ... it didn’t enter the thought process at all. Vanilla has a brilliant team behind them and is doing some very cool things. Lots more on that front in the future. wink

This discussion is closed to further replies. Keep calm and carry on.