We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 6 Posts
    PS: Mike, if you don’t mind me asking, and you have the time:
    How do you get "custom tables preloaded into TinyMCE on document creation" in the context of the ModX templating system?
    Cheers,
    Leigh
      • 5,888 Posts
      when I’d understand you correct, here is another way you can go in Revo:

try MIGX.

with MIGX you can easily create three different forms for your three different layouts.
      when they add or edit an item they can switch between this forms by dropdown.

Each form can have the needed fields for the choosed layout.

the included getImageList-snippet will choose the right chunk automatically when rendering the items.
      There is now also included a preview-function, where they can see the result before saving the resource.

-------------------------------

you can buy me a beer, if you like MIGX

http://webcmsolutions.de/migx.html

Thanks!
        • 6 Posts
        Oh, Bruno, wonderful Bruno, MIGX looks so very close to what I’m looking for. Thank you so much! Have you used this yourself for this purpose? If so, will it work with just rich text fields instead of form fields? I’m going to re-read all of the documentation (http://rtfm.modx.com/display/ADDON/MIGX), again and do some more research to see if I can implement this.
        Much gratitude,
        Leigh
          • 5,888 Posts
          I woud use for the first layout:
          One tab with an image-tv, a input-field for the H2 and a richtext-tv for the text

for the second layout:
          Two tabs with the same fields

and for the third layout:
          Tree tabs, also each with image,text and richtext-field.

So you can be sure they don’t mess the layouts because each field has its defined place in the output.

let me know, if you have questions about the input-options and the chunks for your setup. I think this can be a good example for a tutorial in the documentation.

Thanks!
            • 863 Posts
            Another option could be to use something like Frontpage to allow the end-user to edit content directly on the front-end without going anywhere near the manager. It’s just a suggestion however; I haven’t personally used this package and have done zero work with front-end editors smiley
              • 6 Posts
              Dear Bruno,

That’s where I’m stuck.
              The content can’t be chunks. The content regions within this inner content container have to be fully editable (though I love the control over the design your solution offers!) by the site maintainers/updaters. The content will be changing frequently. Is it possible to implement this without using chunks or persistent content?

Much gratitude, again,
              Leigh
                • 5,888 Posts
                all the contents of each field are fully editable. All in one resource.
                The chunks are only used as output-templates, not for editing content.

the layout-items can also be resorted by dragging them, if they want change the sortorder.

Thanks!
                  • 6 Posts
                  Dear Bruno,

After re-reading twice, researching the addition of TVs and spending the last 24 hours trying to figure this all out, it’s just too much of a learning curve for me. All of the documentation is extremely self-referential, and since I’m not a ModX expert, it’s like Steve Martin’s old bit: "How to be a millionaire: !st, get a million dollars..." I would like to keep the rest of my hair. laugh

Anyway, instead of templates, I’m going to create resources for each layout, and instruct my client to duplicate the resource, drag it to the appropriate directory in the ModX manager, change the content as needed, rinse, repeat. Inelegant and ugly, but the only way to implement the promised layout variations my ModX developer assured me were a piece of cake early on in the project.

I really appreciate your time, attention, responses and what seems to be an excellent addition to ModX. I truly hope to have time to devote to learning how to use it and ModX’s TV feature.

Much sincere gratitude,
                  Leigh
                    • 4 Posts
                    Hello

Interesting topic.

Is there a extension that lets me define more than one content-area for the resource-editor?
                      • 5,888 Posts
                      normally you don’t need an extension.
                      If you need more ’content areas’ just create some richtext-tvs and add them to your template.
                      Ok, you need to have installed tinyMCE-Extra, before you can do so.

If you want dynamically add multiple content-areas or slides or what not you can either use subresources or MIGX...............

Thanks!