We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 3,975 Posts
    Quote from: wompedy at Aug 31, 2005, 07:13 PM

i assume this is because of friendly URLs, but i also tried turning them off and got the same error. i also wondered if it was because of the "$path_to_galleries=" variable. this site is still on a testing server and is in a subdirectory called "cms" on the main site. i’ve tried putting the entire url into the variable, as well as the relative path and so on. same results no matter what.

any ideas?

I think its with your .htaccess file,

# If your MODx installation is in a subdirectory, change the following line to match the physical
    # path to the "root" of the site as follows:
    # RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /path/to/subdirectory/index.php?q=$1 [L,QSA]

I hope this helps.

regards,

zi
      Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
      • 65 Posts
      Quote from: zi at Sep 01, 2005, 03:05 AM

I think its with your .htaccess file,

# If your MODx installation is in a subdirectory, change the following line to match the physical
      # path to the "root" of the site as follows:
      # RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /path/to/subdirectory/index.php?q=$1 [L,QSA]

hmm. i can’t tell how much that helped. i think it must be related, but changing the path in the .htaccess file didn’t fix the problem. even with the correct path, i get the same error. however, renaming .htaccess ht.access, and turning off friendly urls DID stop the error.

with this set up (f-urls off, and no .htaccess file) clicking the button "manager pictures" simply does nothing. the browser pretends like it’s loading a page or something, then it resolves to the same page that you started with. that’s it. nothing else happens. it seems to just reload the page. even when i watch my "activity viewer" in safari, it looks that way. (i’ve tried it in Firefox too, of course. same thing).

also, i think ultimately i’m going to need the f-urls turned on, so eventually i’ll have to get those working, assuming that i can ever get this thing to work at all... at this point i’m really feeling pretty discouraged. i’ve tried to install every photo gallery snippet listed on the Etomite site (that jlarson thankfully clued me into), and while this EtoGal one still seems the most promising, i haven’t been able to get it to do squat yet!

but i faith in these here forums, you guys are great and so helpful!

so, any other ideas about getting this thing going would be fantastic!
        "A great democracy must be progressive, or soon it shall cease to be great, and soon it shall cease to be a democracy." -Theodore Roosevelt
      • Can you post your .htaccess file here, or contact me so I can review it. Sounds like something is misconfigured or there are some directives in it that aren’t allowed on your server.
          • 3,975 Posts
          Thanks OpenGeek !

I solved the problem earlier wink

Now the gallery is working... there were some path configuration issues, also CHMOD thingy !

regards,

zi

• 65 Posts
            Quote from: zi at Sep 01, 2005, 04:45 PM

I solved the problem earlier wink

yes. last night zi helped me out a lot! he got the MiniGallery working on an alternative install of the site i had setup trouble-shoot on a virgin install.  i’m not sure what all he did, but he got the galleries working as promised by the snippet.

at roughly the same time, fellow forum genius, mark (he Re:d this post too) also helped me out. he did a number of things, and got it working on the original install of the site. the problems stemmed from a witch’s brew of caching, path, permissions, a wrongly assigned variable, and a handful of other things. whew! he is actually still making some tweaks to the php code of the snippet and when it’s all working perfectly (like, with options to step thru the photos with next/ast buttons and so on) he or i will post the new-and-improved version of the snippet in this forum thread. so that everyone can benefit from my ignorance and his masterful work.

thanks to you both, zi and mark! you’ve completely saved me here! i was in waaay over my head.
              "A great democracy must be progressive, or soon it shall cease to be great, and soon it shall cease to be a democracy." -Theodore Roosevelt
              • 3,250 Posts
              Thanks for your kind words. Just FYI the errors at the beginning of the post were due to the 404 error page (default id 1) being deleted. I just restored the page for him and fixed a few errors in several snippets and files and it worked. Wompedy and I have been working with EPG 2.0 ModX editing thanks to aNoble and one of us will update this thread with the final results in a few days. Stay tuned.
                • 3,975 Posts
                Thanks wompedy and mark for kind words ! much appreciated smiley

We’ll look forward to hear from you soon smiley

Have a great day !

regards,

zi

• 3,250 Posts
                  Update: I have sent aNoble an EPG2.0 ModX Edition Gallery Index snippet and I hope to have a demo site of my own running soon to showcase ModX.
                    • 372 Posts
                    Quote from: jlarson at Aug 31, 2005, 05:15 PM

Here’s my modified version. I called it MiniGallery. Let me know if it works for you.

I used it for one gallery and it was veryy simple ad easy to use. However when I added a 2nd gallery the 1st one broke. It no longer found my CSS nor the photos, just displayed broken placeholders.

I then tried to rename the friendly URL for the 2nd one to see what would happen and of course that broke the 2nd gallery as it uses the URL not the document ID.

I changed the URL in the SQL table but then the 1st gallery went to the page set as an error page by MODx and gallery 2 stayed the same s before.

The strange thing is that it displayed fine from the preview in the admin, just not from the front end (even if I was logged in).

I am now looking at other options, however it was a good snippet until it broke.
                      [img]http://www.emanz.ac.nz/assets/images/logo/emanz-icon_16x16.gif[/img] Emergency Management Academy of New Zealand [br] http://www.emanz.ac.nz[br][br]MODx Sandbox Login: sandbox Password: castle [br]
                      Admin Sandbox Login: sandbox Password: castle
                      • 3,250 Posts
                      Are you calling the snippet uncahced?

[!MiniGallery!]