We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 65 Posts
    i have a client who’s site calls for a "photos" section, which will have lots of "photo galleries" that can be browsed.

in the pre-MODx/CMS days, i would have simply used an app like iView to create a bunch of sub-directories that would each contain a gallery, then i’d have uploaded them all with FTP and be done.

but now, with MODx, i’m trying to figure out a better way to do this. i’d like the pages to be able to be managed like the rest of the site, but VERY MUCH DO NOT want to have to copy/paste the HTML from all the files created by iView into hundreds of MODx created pages.

so, basically i’m wondering what the easiest way to create/manage/maintain photo galleries is via MODx. i figure there must be some great way to do this that i don’t know.

thanks in advance for any tips!
      "A great democracy must be progressive, or soon it shall cease to be great, and soon it shall cease to be a democracy." -Theodore Roosevelt
      • 3,250 Posts
      Check out this http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simpleviewer/
      You can then use my grabpage snippet to pull it into your site.
      PM me if you want to see a demo using Simple Viewer Admin + ModX..
        • 113 Posts
        For "hundreds of pages" Mark’s suggestion, Simpleviewer, looks interesting, although I think I’d look at creating a snippet for it--should be fairly straightforward.

For the sake of discussion or the interest of others browsing this thread, I’ll mention that the "Etogal" snippet has front-end management built-in (upload, delete, add/edit titles--plus with TV’s you could easily have the user adjust settings such as maximum dimension and number of columns in the frontend), but it’s useful only for small galleries, not hundreds of pages. I had to modify it just a bit for Modx.

Find it here: http://www.etomite.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3022

• 65 Posts
          > Etogal

this seems very promising, indeed, but i think i just may be too much of a newbie to work it.

i got it installed, and think i’ve followed all the various instructions and work arounds throughout the forum, but no matter what i do, all it does on my page is say "Photo Galleries" in a headline font, with no admin options.

I am most certainly "logged in" because i’m looking at the page in the preview pane of the manager. i’ve also just tried "launching" the site and going to the page with the snippet called on it, but no dice.

i’m sure i’m just missing something REALLY obvious here, but i can’t seem to see what that would be.
            "A great democracy must be progressive, or soon it shall cease to be great, and soon it shall cease to be a democracy." -Theodore Roosevelt
            • 3,250 Posts
            I think I’d look at creating a snippet for it--should be fairly straightforward

Huh? A snippet for the admin interface (Simple Viewer Admin)?
              • 113 Posts
              Oops--I meant just the build script.
                • 2,204 Posts
                I used easy peasy gallery

http://www.etomite.org/browsesnippets.html?int_snipid=131&lst_category=1

works great on mod-x
                  follow me on twitter: @dimmy01
                  • 113 Posts
                  Quote from: wompedy at Aug 31, 2005, 09:51 AM

> Etogal

this seems very promising, indeed, but i think i just may be too much of a newbie to work it.
                  Here’s my modified version. I called it MiniGallery. Let me know if it works for you.
                    • 65 Posts

Here’s my modified version.  I called it MiniGallery.  Let me know if it works for you.

hey! thanks! that does work better... as in, now there is a "manage pictures" button the page where there was none.

however, when i click it, i get the typical MODx error page.

---
                    « MODx Parse Error »

MODx encountered the following error while attempting to parse the requested resource:

« Redirection attempt failed - please ensure the document you’re trying to redirect to exists.

Redirection URL: home.html?refurl=%2Fcms%2Findex.php%3Fq%3Dhome.html%26refurl
                    %3D%252Fcms%252Findex.php%253Fq%253Dhome.html%2526refurl%253D%25252Fcms
                    %25252Findex.php%25253Fq%25253Dhome.html%252526refurl%25253D%2525252Fcms
                    %2525252Findex.php%2525253Fq%2525253Dhome.html%25252526refurl%2525253D
                    %252525252Fcms%252525252Findex.php%252525253Fq%252525253Dphoto_gallery
                    %25252526err%2525253D1%252526err%25253D2%2526err%253D3%26err%3D4

»

Parser timing
                      MySQL: 0.0004 s s (2 Requests)
                      PHP: 0.0296 s s
                      Total:

---

i assume this is because of friendly URLs, but i also tried turning them off and got the same error. i also wondered if it was because of the "$path_to_galleries=" variable. this site is still on a testing server and is in a subdirectory called "cms" on the main site. i’ve tried putting the entire url into the variable, as well as the relative path and so on. same results no matter what.

any ideas?
                      • 113 Posts
                      Hmm, if I’m not mistaken this type of error has to do with a problem in .htaccess, although in this case I’m not sure why, and I only know enough about it to be dangerous. Can only guess a problem with the way the form posts. You might try turning off friendly URL’s and renaming .htaccess.