We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,097 Posts
    Quote from: xwisdom at Jul 12, 2006, 12:58 PM

Another thing is that IE will display a 404 page if a 404 error is sent. This means that the custom 404 page will not be displayed. IMO I think there needs to option in the system config to enable the sending of 404 headers with 404 pages.

Actually, this only happens if the 404 page is smaller than 512 bytes. See Wikipedia. I assume that is to distinguish between simple "404 error" pages and anything with actual content on it. Most MODx 404 pages should be fine as they tend to have the whole template and a sitemap. It may be worth mentioning this in MODx documentation.

Therefore there is no particular need to switch off 404 headers from 404 pages. I trust that shaving this config option off the to-do list brings us one step closer to 0.9.5!

Incidentally, once the 404 system is working and MODx is stable, I fully intend to knock up and contribute a redirects system using 301 headers and redirects to take people from one old page reference to the new location (or one extension and another).
      No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
      MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
      Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
      Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
      Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
      MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!
      • 7,075 Posts
      Quote from: xwisdom at Jul 12, 2006, 12:59 PM
      MemberCheck snippet does not work in php4. It’s using a static variable inside the class object.

Now I understand why it worked locally and not on my hosting, I was puzzled but you just solved it for me grin !
      Happily, I just switched my dedicated server to PHP 5.1.4 laugh I’ll give it another try then...
        .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
      • Quote from: xwisdom at Jul 12, 2006, 12:59 PM

MemberCheck snippet does not work in php4. It’s using a static variable inside the class object.

It should work fine if you just change the keyword static to var -- let me know if that doesn’t fix it and I’ll rework it so that it does.
        • Quote from: OpenGeek at Jul 12, 2006, 09:39 PM

It should work fine if you just change the keyword static to var -- let me know if that doesn’t fix it and I’ll rework it so that it does.
          If it helps, I had to make one additional change to MemberCheck a while back to get it working under php4. Modification can be found here.
            Garry Nutting
            Senior Developer
            MODX, LLC

Email: [email protected]
            Twitter: @garryn
            Web: modx.com
          • Garry... know anything about our new repository where you can add new releases? tongue
              Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • LOL ... well, now you mention it ... tongue

To be honest, I’d completely forget about this one! Consider my wrist slapped laugh
                Garry Nutting
                Senior Developer
                MODX, LLC

• Actually, I just realized that fix you provided garryn is incorrect, as it does not allow it to work with multiple instances per page. I believe the self:: calls simply need to become MemberCheck:: and it will work as the original did.
                • I believe the self:: calls simply need to become MemberCheck:: and it will work as the original did.
                  Thanks Jason, duly noted. smiley
                    Garry Nutting
                    Senior Developer
                    MODX, LLC

• 1,732 Posts

@Paul,

Thanks for the update. I’m sure I had tried it beforeand IE returned a 404 sad Will try it again at some other point in time.

@Jason,

Yes, changing to var will do the trick in php4

@Garry,

self:: is a php5 only feature (I think)

xWisdom
                      www.xwisdomhtml.com
                      The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
                      MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.
                      • 1,097 Posts
                      Re "IE not showing 404": Other reports suggest 1024 bytes. If there’s still an issue, then I’d rather we built in user agent checking to disable the 404 header for IE users rather than have a "are IE users more important than Google" switch.

Important question, as it affects what I write today: Does 0.9.5 make chunks editable?

EDIT: Editable in QuickEdit, that is. Also, will it be possible in 0.9.5 to have a QuickEdit-only login that cannot access the Manager?
                        No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
                        MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
                        Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
                        Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
                        Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
                        MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!