We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,145 Posts
    A long expected addon, I must say.
    Many thanks for it.

But does this work with resources that are slightly different in class from the native MODx resources?
    I am thinking of resources made by, say, the ARTICLES Extra - in these kind of resources there is not even an option to clear or not clear cache on save. I guess the one solution would be to disable, site-wide, the clear-cache-on-save feature.

Until recently, clearing and rebuilding cache has been a severe molar ache.

TinymceWrapper: Complete back/frontend content solution.
      Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
      5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.
      • 24,544 Posts
      TBH, I have not had time to test it with Articles (and probably won't any time soon). I don't have even a solid guess about whether and how it would work with Articles. It depends on the HTML and JS code of the Articles editing panel.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 534 Posts
        First of all also from my side a big thanks for this, using it the first time and will report if I find some issues =)!

I already noticed, that the "untick clear cache checkbox"-feature does not work in quick update, is that right?
          • 24,544 Posts
          Quote from: exside at Jan 23, 2013, 02:26 PM
          First of all also from my side a big thanks for this, using it the first time and will report if I find some issues =)!

I already noticed, that the "untick clear cache checkbox"-feature does not work in quick update, is that right?

Probably. I suspected that it wouldn't, but didn't have time to check. It's a very time-consuming extra to work on. wink
            My MODX Extras
            • 212 Posts
            In my opinion it is not so important to make this extremely good plugin also work for quick updates.

It would be much more important to also have such a selective cache clearance for snippets, chunks and maybe TVs.

Knowing how much work it is to develop such plugins we will make another donation on his http://bobsguides.com/honor-roll.html soon to say Thank you again and maybe others will too.

Bob, thanks again for your work for the MODX-community ...
              • 24,544 Posts
              Thanks lettis. I did try to make it work with plugins and snippets (chunks, templates, and TVs are not saved in the cache as far as I can tell). I wasn't successful, but I may yet figure out a way. I did find it possible to uncheck the "empty cache" checkbox and I'll probably release another version with the option to do that for elements.
                My MODX Extras
                • 1,145 Posts
                Hello BobRay,

Doesn't your Newspublisher have some useful technique already regarding cache?
                I think, unless I am mistaken, the thing creates and edits resources in the front-end without blowing apart the site's entire cache.

If this quality can be implemented in the back-end, for elements too, I second - would be a treat
                  Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
                  5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  I think you're right about NewsPublisher. TBH, I'd never thought of that aspect of it. wink

[update]Checked the code. The NewsPublisher clearCache property is true by default, so unless you turn it off, the processor will clear the resource cache.

[ed. note: BobRay last edited this post 11 years, 3 months ago.]
                    My MODX Extras
                    • 1,145 Posts
                    As the network of sites grows (resources/elements), it becomes increasingly important to selectively clear the cache, or at least rebuild the cache quickly. Caching tools become staple meal, and one begins to build a sentimental and awkward relationship with them. RefreshCache is great but does not work on hidden resources, correct?
                    And CacheMaster (my darling new favourite) does not yet work on Articles Resources; nor does it on Elements, due to their strange nature?

I still wonder what large sites are doing. Is it some esoteric method they are employing, one that costs lots of plenty many much of money to develop? In that case, the Caching power of MODx will never be fully appreciated or realized by the common man or woman designer/developer who might happen to have a large site.

Complex.com is advertised as using and enjoying MODx' caching prowess, but it is never said anywhere, in English, how the owners are, practically, managing their one billion resources and visitor hits.

One may optimize images, codes and so forth, however one wants, but as soon as one edits a tiny thing anywhere, all one's 14 Contexts, 9043 Resources etc, all of them are suddenly born again. Then one's site becomes as without caching turned on. And it is not enough to say that one's site must be so optimized as though it had no caching facility, and to render fast howsoever the nature of the CMS/CMF running it.

Truth is, to enjoy the power of MODx, one is tempted to utilize all its nitty-gritty, yes even some quantity of output modifiers. And then, a MODx site will need MODx' caching, full stop!

I find myself creating multiple NewsPublisher instances to take care of sub sites from the front-end, when I am certainly not in the mood to empty MODx' cache, or rebuild it. For now it handles, nicely, all kinds of my Resources, even those of the Articles Extra. But, really, there is nothing compared to actually doing your creating and editing in the Manager, where you have full view and access to every thing yours.

So, people with large sites, what are you really, honestly doing?
                      • 212 Posts
                      Quote from: donshakespeare at Feb 05, 2013, 12:36 AM
                      So, people with large sites, what are you really, honestly doing?
                      We were very unhappy for a long time about caching-features of modx and were really thinking about moving on to another framework. but this changed when Bob created CacheMaster and RefreshCache. As far as I know he will improve the CacheMaster very soon allowing to use this feature for snippets, too.

Beside this we wrote some additional code for RefreshCache to also selectivly refresh non-menu-pages and the possibility for manually defining resources which aren`t supposed to be refreshes. Look here -> http://forums.modx.com/thread/72773/refreshcache-snippet-released#dis-post-448131
                      (be aware of the not very professional code, but it works smiley)