We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 4,213 Posts
    Yes, I’m sorry too.. Anyways.. the ones who got in to the Brilliant Buttons site, what do you think? I’ve used it with these settings:

Pixels from the left of bar position: 30
    Font: Silkscreen (or use Terminal if you want the x in MODx to be lowercase)

Left box text: MODx
    Text start: 4

Rightbox text: POWERED
    Text start: 5 for Silkscreen font, 3 for Terminal font

Select the colors you want and click "Create". Looks good to me! smiley

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
      • 169 Posts
      i’ve done this one: wink
        Play no games
        • 3,975 Posts
        Nice icon Negz smiley
          Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
          • 169 Posts
          thx smiley
            Play no games
            • 155 Posts
            Hello!

Here is mine smiley
            I’m not good on image creating but ... rolleyes

Boby
              ...my Photo Gallery on Flickr...
              • 415 Posts
              Hello, I’ve made somes in my page Check them they are at the footer. I try to reproduce those of Kunal Kapoor I’ve seen in this forum. If someone is interrested, I can post the photoshop file.
              Tell me if you want the psd file, the color are easy to adapt to yours, just fill a rectancle, text is editable.
              Any feedback (good or worse) is welcome smiley

I’ve made new version, the background is transparent so the logo are the color of the background they are placed. check these two site: the img are the same ! (on the footer) :
              http://dp-site.fr
              http://dp-site.fr/creation/bienvenue.html
                MODx Sites & Prestations: http://dp-site.fr [Last MODx Site]
                MODx Repository: [HOME] [MetaTagsExtra] / Current Dev: [xFDM]
                • 1 Posts
                happens to me that I work in the field of branding and CD for over 10 years.
                And as an "expert" I can only tell you, that for "powered by" logos it’s not important "how nice" they are, but how they represent the intended image in a consistent manner. And the guide for what "consistence" means can - for a virtual product like MODx - only be the place where we are right now: modxcms.com. Nothing else, since there is nothing else. No ads, no corporate buildings, no stationary, nothing. So: a powered by logo should use the green/black/white combination from this site and it should also use the typography which is used here, and it should also have rounded corners, as an outline or as a graphical element inside.
                In this respect the logos of Kunal Kapoor (as shown in this thread) are by far the best. They may be not the "nicest" (which is always a matter of personal taste), and, taking into account my argument, you can see for yourself why they are the best.

my 2 cents on that topic. an important topic for future success, since it is important for letting the community of users grow. And it does so by fostering the potential user’s confidence in the seriousness of the project/the product.
                  • 1,097 Posts
                  I broadly agree with your concern - a "powered by" logo should match the MODx brand.

But a "powered by" button does not need to - instead they should match the CSS etc buttons and complement the site that they are on.

The button is just a jazzed up text link. By making "MODx powered" a badge of honour like "XHTML valid" is serious and confidence-building anyway.

I agree that amateurish attempts at a logo that is not consistent can damage the brand, but the more recent examples are just presenting the text information in a pretty way rather than creating a new brand identity.
                    No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
                    MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
                    Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
                    Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
                    Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
                    MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!
                    • 1 Posts
                    but the more recent examples are just presenting the text information in a pretty way rather than creating a new brand identity
                    The trick is, what do you mean with "in a pretty way"? Being "pretty" is not the issue here!
                    And we’re talking about a MODx brand, not about universal (i.e. MODx independent) standards like "XHTML valid" (whatever that means grin) which are a reference, not a claim.
                    And being "jazzed up" is not an argument that counts when it comes to branding. It is designed according to a brand or it isn’t. "Jazzed up" means nothing... other than blurring an identity!
                    And for you distinction between logo and button: Is it designed or not? If it is - i.e. not just plain text, or being subject to foreign standards of presentation - it should conform to the visual identity, the difference between "logo" and "button" doesn’t count here. As long as you don’t click it, the button is a logo wink
                      • 1,097 Posts
                      Just because text is presented in a graphic does not make it a logo.

Just because text is not presented as literal plain text does not mean it should have to be in black white and green.

The NAME of this project is MODx. Some of the "Powered by" graphics in this thread feature this name in an undecorated text on a decorated background. That is not a logo. It is a button, a badge.

If I have a "Powered by MODx" link on my site in blue text on a white background, in my footer font of sans-serif, I am NOT breaking the brand. There is a brand NAME and a brand LOGO. They are DIFFERENT.

I’m with you when it comes to anything that is actually graphical - the very first post is bad in my book. But then, I don’t actually know if the current MODx brand was around when Zi posted that back in May 2005.

Kunal’s does use the brand - and that was in February 2006. Hoorah.

Banzai - well all the ones that say MODx rather than MODX are fine. (Yes, I could make a big song and dance about making sure the letters are capitalised right).

Negz - if it said MODx it would be *better*, but I don’t know if that’s possible at that size. But in terms of colour etc it is perfectly acceptable.

Boby - Ironically this is the right colours but very much the wrong font. Almost by *trying* to be like the brand identity it fails. I think it’s a little naff myself but it may look right in the right context.

Soda - It says MODx. They match his other buttons. What’s wrong?

To reiterate : a "powered by" button is not about the image branding, it is about the name branding, the concept, the link. If it is to use any imagery, it should use MODx imagery. If it is to go alongside other buttons, it should match them.
                        No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
                        MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
                        Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
                        Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
                        Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
                        MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!