We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 4 Posts
    I have been unable to resolve this issue to date even after 4 calls and 3 chats with rackspace. I thought I would provide some additional details: I can login from any browser including IE8 just fine when using Mac OS X or Win XP. When using Win 7 I cannot login using IE8 (IE 7 on Vista is a no according to rackspace as well), to this one instance of a cloud site only (www.acaciacreek.org) but all others we have setup work just fine. Rackspace is currently looking into it but have no solution yet. As a test, I provisioned a test domain and installed ModX there with no problem in IE8 on Win 7. As soon as the issue is resolved I will share the source of the problem and the answer to fixing it. I will say that I am getting a warning that the session cache limiter function is failing as a result of headers having been sent but I fail to see that as the source of IE8 woes in Win 7.
      • 4 Posts
      I finally found the problem...and it seems so silly. Our problem started initially with a full temp folder that would not permit new session to be started. During my investigation of the problem I had opened config.inc.php and added a missing closing php tag. However when saving the file, my text editor prepended the file with a BOM (0xFEFF, used in unicode files) which was the cause of the warning mentioned previously. So when I moved the temp folder and session folder this was still in effect and to my complete amazement, caused the very same problem I was trying to correct in the first place. I am surprised though that this didn’t cause more issues in other browsers.
      • PHP script files do not require a closing ?> tag. Many coders leave them off since any whitespace following it will break the script.
          Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
          Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
          Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
          • 5 Posts
          Just had to give a major "Thank You" shout out to brandsavvy for the suggested solution (2 lines to htaccess).. I am running modx on a bunch of sites on our rackspace cloudsite space and this just saved me a ton of grief!! Well except for the last two days while I was looking for this post anyway.. smiley

So thanks again..

-Roland
            Passionate about web development and seo & bench press smiley
            You always succeed in producing a result. The real question is how do we help each other produce great results?
            • 23 Posts
            I have no problem logging into Modx manager which looks to be the main topic of this post. However, I’m getting a similar error when trying to access a single page on our site through Modx "Assistant is currently editing the document. Please wait until the user has finished and try again."

The only user left is the default admin. I deleted the assistant accounts that were set up in attempt to fix the error but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
              • 76 Posts
              Go to Tools | RemoveLocks
                • 23 Posts
                twz, thanks a ton!
                  • 236 Posts
                  I appear to be having the same issue, I’m on rackcloud.
                  I’ve moved the sessions folder
                  sessions are showing up there
                  I cleared my browser cache, I’m on the chat support now, but we’re about out of ideas. I have 30 or so sites on MODx on rackspace cloud.. I’ve never had it this bad.
                    ~Shawn Himmelberger
                    Check out my MODx Development and MODx Design Company - Himmelberger Design
                    • 11 Posts
                    I saw some talk about permissions on the Rackspace cloud (Mosso). I have been having this problem and tracked down what rackspace recommends for managing sessions via .htaccess. Here is there example:

php_value session.gc_probability 1
                    php_value session.gc_divisor 100
                    php_value session.gc_maxlifetime 3600
                    php_value session.save_path /mnt/stor1-wc1-dfw1/123456/www.domain.com/web/sessions

To be sure you have the correct path, log into your site, click Features and scroll down to the Linux info and you will see your path next to Web directory

I have many sites running ModX (Evo and Rev) all on the Rackspace Cloud and have only run into this problem once... but it took me a while to figure it out. All is well now

ModX. 'nuff said.
                      • 11 Posts
                      I had this exact same problem on a Media Temple DV server. The solution for me was a commandline edit of Apache.

The article states "The ’/var/lib/php/session/’ directory should be writable by default. On occasion, certain software will refuse to see this path as writable. In that instance what you will need to do is create a special file called vhost.conf that will tell that domain to use another location you specify:"

Here is the Media Temple Wiki full article on how to do it.
                      http://wiki.mediatemple.net/w/%28dv%29_Session_Save_Path_Errors_and_the_Vhost.conf