We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 3 Posts
    when I make those changes I get a 500 internal server error.
      • 76 Posts
      Quote from: ewilkes at Sep 23, 2009, 04:49 PM

when I make those changes I get a 500 internal server error.
      Your server might be running suExec - if so, you’ll need to remove these lines from .htaccess
      php_value session.save_path /home/domainName/public_html/assets/sessions/
      php_value session.gc_maxlifetime 28800

and put them in a php.ini file as
      session.save_path = /home/domainName/public_html/assets/sessions/
      session.gc_maxlifetime = 28800

• 19 Posts
        Probably worthwhile storing the session files outside the webroot.
          • 122 Posts
          Hello,

thanks for the discussion here. I managed to store the session file in a direcory within the own structure, files are saved there, but after login there still is the message "user xy ... is working on these settings ...". MODx doesn’t log out me, via QuickEdit I can edit pages, but the manager is still not accessible. Can’t empty MODx site cache or do something else there. Browser cache has bee emptied, too.

It’s MODx 1.0.0, PHP Version 5.2.10.

Should I change some records in the MODx tables in the database?

Thanks!
          Heinz-Guenter huh
            • 122 Posts
            Just an update to my post above: I deactivated JavaScript, called the manager configuration via index.php?a=17, then could after activating JS again remove blocks.
              • 31 Posts
              A huge THANK YOU to the posters on this thread. I was tearing my hair for several hours before I found this. Problem solved.
                illegitimati non carborundum
                • 14 Posts
                UPDATE:

Switched hosting, problems evaporated. Got a better deal with faster servers too!!

Argh.

Thank you for this thread..and I hope my problem is just some bonehead problem on my part.

So, I’m hosted on FatCow. I followed the instructions that Diz T. Wiz posted here: http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,31875.0.html

It works great, except that when I click login, it just reloads the page.. If I then click on forgot password, I’m promptly logged in. This has been the case for quite some time, and I haven’t been able to figure it out. Since the session.save_path thing is part of those FatCow install instructions (it goes into the php.ini file), putting it into a .htaccess just yields the dreaded 500 Internal Server Error. I’ve tried changing it from the default of /document root/cgi-bin/tmp to /document root/sessions, and it just barfs session_start() failure type stuff (i.e. it can’t save to that /sessions folder, despite it having the correct permissions)

I am kinda stumped. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
                  • 4 Posts
                  I was having the same issue (very random success when trying to log into Manager) when I copied a site from a GoDaddy server to a Rackspace server. I didnt get the usual Manager errors, so I ruled out needing to re-Install MODx, but after a few hours of trying everything i decided to re-Install MODx (v1.0) over my existing installation (v1.0) and that did the trick. I no longer have issues logging into the Manager.

Hope this helps.

• 4 Posts
                    I came across this thread after encountering some login issues with rackspace cloud sites. My problems is that I cannot login to the manager from IE7 or IE8 (have not tested IE6 yet) and just keep getting thrown back to the login form everytime. But on FireFox I can login just fine (although when saving documents I am greeted with a blank content area). I have tried implementing the suggestions here of altering the location of session storage to no avail (either in .htaccess or php.ini). This is the first site I have setup using ModX 1.0.x on rackspace cloud (have plenty with older versions) and was surprising given that this was not the first site setup with this ModX version, just the first one at rackspace. Anyone have any other suggestions?
                    • Quote from: Major7up at Mar 24, 2010, 12:48 AM

I came across this thread after encountering some login issues with rackspace cloud sites. My problems is that I cannot login to the manager from IE7 or IE8 (have not tested IE6 yet) and just keep getting thrown back to the login form everytime. But on FireFox I can login just fine (although when saving documents I am greeted with a blank content area). I have tried implementing the suggestions here of altering the location of session storage to no avail (either in .htaccess or php.ini). This is the first site I have setup using ModX 1.0.x on rackspace cloud (have plenty with older versions) and was surprising given that this was not the first site setup with this ModX version, just the first one at rackspace. Anyone have any other suggestions?
                      That sounds like a problem with validation of your site design TBH. Logging in is a server-side activity that should not be affected by what browser initiates the request. Start by validating and go from there.