We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 5 Posts
    A little history: I've been using Evo (various versions) for a number of years now and all was well until my site was hacked. I thought I could upgrade to Revo 2.5.2 and get things running again. Wrong. I got lost somewhere along the way.

At this point in time I can just delete all files belonging to Modx and still have my database intact. But if I do install Revo 2.5.2, how can I get it to use my database? The site has over 1300 pages that I really don't want to recreate.
      • 1,145 Posts
      You might be up a creek without a paddle, but certainly not far off from finish line.

Is this related? http://bobsguides.com/gorevo-package.html
        TinymceWrapper: Complete back/frontend content solution.
        Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
        5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.
        • 5 Posts
        That might work but I'd be much more comfortable with a manual method. Time is not an issue.
          • 47 Posts
          The database structure changed significantly between Evo and Revo as did some other core things like the formats of the tags used throughout MODX.

If you want to do this the manual way, the simplest way I've found is to set up a new site from scratch in Revo, then based on how many of each thing you have (resources, templates, snippets, users) either copy/paste to create them manually or get familiar with the differences in database structure and do a bunch of exports, replacing of changed tags and imports.

Seriously though - this will be such a massive job and the 'manual' way of database massaging is what GoRevo is going to accelerate for you. You say time isn't an issue, but I would expect the time this saves to possibly be measured in days rather than hours.

Is there a specific reason you really want to do it manually vs using the GoRevo and then testing thoroughly?
            • 5 Posts
            I'd be willing to set up a new site from scratch then do all the copy/paste actions it takes. There are no other users other than myself. At this time I'm not willing to buy anything so manual is what it may have to be.

I'm also thinking of going back to Evo 1.0.15 then doing whatever patches are needed for security. At least I know it will not have trouble with the database.
              • 293 Posts
              To do it manually, you'd need to understand the schema for both databases and then copy/paste/insert the appropriate sections.
              I shudder to think how long it would take you with that many resources.

If I were you I'd definitely choose a premium extra that does the repetitive work for you.
                I'm lead developer at Digital Penguin Creative Studio in Hong Kong. https://www.digitalpenguin.hk
                Check out the MODX tutorial series on my blog at https://www.hkwebdeveloper.com
                • 953 Posts
                @linger

If you want to use Revo your best bet is to use the tool that BobRay built - I have carried out extensive tests with it and it's easy to use and well worth the price.

Don't get me wrong here, I am an avid user of Evo, but, this is a feasible way to get an Evo site into Revo with the least amount of hassle or work.

Evo is due to be updated shortly, so you have that solution as well - upgrade your site to the latest version and you should be good to go - if the database was also hacked, you may still have problems in the future

The choice is yours
                  • 5 Posts
                  Thank you all. I am still contemplating what path to take.
                    • 1,572 Posts
                    For the sake of $15 it's going to save you a hell of a lot of time on a upgrade
                      • 5 Posts
                      I have now tried installing Evo 1.0.15 again. It gave a lot of permission errors (such and such file is writable by group). I fixed those as they popped up but no luck. I wasn't able to log in to the manager as it kept telling me that it couldn't find "user" although I could see that info was correct in the config file and in the database. I gave up and deleted everything again except the database.

I just may go back to how the site got started 15 years ago by hand coding every page although I can do it faster now with a lot of copy/paste operations. Like I said before, time truly is not an issue as I've recently retired and have little better to do.

I will keep a close eye on MODX as I did truly enjoy using it. Maybe I'll try it again somewhere down the road when it appears to be more "hack proof". [ed. note: linger last edited this post 7 years, 5 months ago.]