We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 203 Posts
    Hi there, i am using BobRays upgradeMODX extra to try and upgrade MODX from 2.2.14 to the latest version. I am unfortunately falling at the first hurdle though. Although the extra installed with no problem (or no errors), the widget is not available and error messages are displayed instead. I have read on BobRays website that this can happen in older versions of MODX and to run the resource instead.

Unfortunately when viewed, the resource displays a blank page - it is trying to call the snippet upgradeMODX, which i don't believe has been installed - under the snippet folder 'UpgradeMODX', the only snippet that is listed is called 'upgradeMODXwidget'.

Further comments on BobRays page imply this may be down to the version of php and to edit some core files. My question is however, how are some snippets installed but not others and what snippets and chunks should have been installed? I am also already using php5.4 and the line of code in the core/model/modx/mysql/modchunk.map.inc.php file corresponds to this too:

'rule' => '/^(?!\\s)[a-zA-Z0-9\\x2d-\\x2f\\x7f-\\xff_\\-\\s]+(?!\\s)$/',
              'message' => 'chunk_err_invalid_name',

Don't think this is therefore a php issue. Any ideas?

Any help gratefully received!

Many thanks [ed. note: Emily last edited this post 8 years ago.]
      • 24,544 Posts
      I think Emily got this sorted, but for others, the main issue is a mistake of mine in the snippet tag. The snippet name in the tag should be upgradeMODXwidget. this will be corrected in the next release.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 203 Posts
        HI BobRay (and anyone else who may be able to help), i just tried to do an update using the dashboard widget (which displayed this morning!), but unfortunately despite all the checks coming back as OK, then displayed the following error

Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on a non-object in /var/sites/f/domain.co.uk/public_html/core/model/modx/modrequest.class.php on line 192

Now, the frontend and backend display this error. I think i should have first upgraded to an earlier version and not straight from 2.2.14 to 2.4.0 but the oldest option available to me was 2.4.0. couple of questions then:
        (1) Can you use the upgrademodx widget to upgrade in stages, i.e. to 2.3.0 and then 2.3.6 etc. and if so how do i do this
        (2) How do i fix my existing website which is now showing a fatal error?
        (3) Will i be able to upgrade at all or is there something more serious wrong?

Thanks everyone for your help
          • 1,572 Posts
          Personally, and just to get the website back up and running I would restore a backup and then download 2.3 and 2.3.6 and do manual upgrades ( one of them added new tables into the database ) and then upgrade to the latest version
            • 203 Posts
            Thanks for responding Paul, i just found an article on GitHub about a row being added to the modx_context table and manually added that row - setup then ran as expected with no errors and everything is back up and running again. The only problem is that the manager is completely screwed with no menu items, no resources and no formatting in the tree - every come across that one?

I restored a database backup i took before doing the upgrade and the manager is now fine and states that MODX has been upgraded...........but i haven't run setup again on it since restoring from a pre-upgraded backup. What does running setup do to the database and is this a problem do you know?

Do you know what new tables were added to the database in 2.3 and 2.3.6?

Thanks for your help and taking the time to respond?
              • 1,572 Posts
              The only problem is that the manager is completely screwed with no menu items, no resources and no formatting in the tree - every come across that one?

Only seen that due to corrupt files being uploaded via FTP or the compress_css and compress_js being set to 1 in the database

I restored a database backup i took before doing the upgrade and the manager is now fine and states that MODX has been upgraded...........but i haven't run setup again on it since restoring from a pre-upgraded backup. What does running setup do to the database and is this a problem do you know?

Not sure what updates are made to the database but it could cause errors in certain areas if you dont run the upgrade again to update the database, personally I would run the 2 mentioned upgrades just to be safe
                • 203 Posts
                Thanks Paul, i re-ran the setup again having logged out, cleared the cache and deleted the core\cache directory and the manager displayed correctly. I did have a couple of issues along the way though with getlist processor errors, but these were fixed by running setup again, deleting cookies and upgrading all extras.

I have now upgraded to 2.4.0 and it all seems to be working as expected, though am concerned that perhaps i should have upgraded in stages to ensure that i have not missed any database changes. Tough to know whether to backtrack and install in stages or be happy that everything is now working in 2.4.0!
                  • 203 Posts
                  I am now getting blank screen when trying to upgrade from 2.4.0 to 2.4.4 with upgrademodx so have decided to go the manual route. The instructions state though that you have to extract files from the zip file into your root directory. My host does not allowing extracting of a zip file though and are saying i have to copy the files across. Won't this overwrite my existing files though?
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    If you can wait, I hope to have a new version of UGM out in a day or two.
                      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                      My MODX Extras
                      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                      • 167 Posts
                      Hi

Just a feedback about UpdgradeMODX upgrademodx-1.5.5-pl with a MODX advanced installation.

The upgrade wizard requested the Core path but at the next step UpdgradeMODX didn't see the current installation and just propose a new installation. I cannot click on the "upgrade" radio button.

Also, I use a custom config key and the wizard bypass this customization option.

Maybe this is the reason of the problem (?).

MODX lover
                        -
                        Développeur MODX / Webdesign / Solutions web