We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 110 Posts
    I will edit this post with any commentary as I play with the latest version.

1) On the main login page I used to TAB fields: username[TAB]password[TAB][SPACEBAR](to select keep me login)[ENTER].
    The new behavior now tabs on the "forgot password" link which disrupts the flow. I personally hate not being able to tab directly from user to pass to "remember me" then [ENTER] to log in.
    If the tab order can be adjusted so other links like "forgot password" are passed over last, this would be good.

2) When the dashboard opens and the initial "Welcome" popup comes up, the link to "Troubleshooting Installation" is dead. The url is "http://rtfm.modxcms.com/display/revolution20/Troubleshooting+Installation".

3) In terms of accessibility, I was not able to close the Welcome popup using the keyboard.

4) In terms of UX, the initial dashboard is disturbing when I first log in and greeted with not one but two different feeds both talking about critical security issues. It is unnerving to install fresh software only to be greeted with how insecure it must be?? The XSS issue is old, from July 2010 and would be completely irrelevant all newer installs since then.
    DESIRED BEHAVIOR: Show nothing, if nothing is relevant to my version. The news fee shows entries two years old about version releases. It's completely useless but in general sends a negative message.

5) On the Help page in the Manager, there is some padding issue where the Google+ icon is.

6) When I was in my user profile and uploaded an image, the preview icon in the media browser was broke. There is no preview. There are errors in the error log:
    [2016-04-07 11:42:14] (ERROR @ /home/modx25/public_html/core/model/phpthumb/modphpthumb.class.php : 117) phpThumb was unable to generate a thumbnail for: /home/modx25/public_html/core/cache/phpthumb/modx25.example.com__src2501e88300268b56d7c940882baae8e8_par91de489130ce8c5d56bf3f39d793bd1a_dat1460054451.png
    [2016-04-07 11:42:14] (ERROR @ /home/modx25/public_html/core/model/phpthumb/modphpthumb.class.php : 129) Error outputting thumbnail:
    OutputThumbnail() failed because !is_resource($this->gdimg_output) in file "phpthumb.class.php" on line 572

There were over a dozen errors, they seem to be just piling up whenever media managers are used.
    Even the preview icon in the Manager itself in the menu is broke, view attachment.

7) Sometimes the popup "Console" doesn't finish whatever it was supposed to do. This has been a problem for many past MODX versions. For example if I go to Manage->Clear Cache, the first time it popped up and just said "Console running.." and stayed there. I click OK and then went to Clear Cache again, this time the console output about 7 more lines including "mgr: Refresh successful!" etc.
    The console also seems to get stuck many times during adding/removing/updating addons. Basically, I've seen it appear to be stuck, or not outputting anything, quite a lot.

8) When I changed the HTML content type and removed the ".html" extension, it did not automatically refresh URIs or even give me a message or warning to go and do that. So when editing a resource and clicking "View", or right-clicing a resource in the sidebar and clicking "View", it continued to open the ".html" version of the pages. And because the extension was no longer used, it actually reverted to the home page as if it was a 404.
    There was no obvious way to deal with this, I just happened to already know that I should run Refresh URIs and refresh the manager pages to get links and pages to work again.
    DESIRED BEHAVIOR: If I change the extensions of mime types, it should give me the option to refresh URIs immediately, or tell me how to do it, and instruct me to refresh the manager so links will work again.

9) As a general UX issue, I would like to have the "Preview Site" link somewhere more easily accessed and exposed. Placing this link under a submenu is IMO uncommon.
    I would much prefer a simple icon or link in the header bar rather than in a submenu.
    On all my sites, I always go to the Menus page and move the link to the main menu for easier access.

10) When I have a Resource open and use Quick Update to edit another one. If I press CTRL-S to save, it actually saves the Resource under the popup, and not the resource IN the popup.
    DESIRED BEHAVIOR: It would make sense that CTRL-S will save the resource in the popup, as if clicking the Save and Close button.

11) UI issue. When going to the Elements tree, there are icons for expanding the sections even when nothing is in the section. For example there is a little down arrow next to Snippets, but if I click it, the tree refreshes and the arrow disappears.
    DESIRED BEHAVIOR: Do not show down arrows if there is nothing in the list to show!

12) UX issue. When I browse addons, there is just a "Download" button. If I click that, it downloads in a console popup which then goes away, leaving me at the same package screen with no instructions. It isn't obvious that I've downloaded or installed anything and I have no instructions what to do.
    I have to click "Back to Package Management" in order to see it in the list, and notice the "Install" button to assume what to do.
    DESIRED BEHAVIOR: It would be much smoother to simply have an "Install" button next to packages which immediately download and install things. If the package must be disabled by default, it should provide an extra popup or option to immediately enable it. There is too much not explained in the current flow, and takes too many clicks. More automation would be helpful.
    Also, for some reason when I click "Install" there is yet another intermediate popup step which seems to exist for no other reason then show a changelog and I have to click again to actually install.
    Too many steps with unnecessary information. Just have an install button that does it all with one click!
    Additionally, after a plugin installs, nothing refreshes, so if anything was added to the Resource or Elements tree, I don't know unless I just happen to refresh the browser myself or click the refresh icon next to the category or context. Again this is mystery information not explained. After something is installed, the entire interface should reflect the changes automatically.

13) The interface doesn't handle browser width shrinking and growing too much. The sidebar stretches out wider than it needs to, which doesn't give enough space for the editing area. This isn't a huge issue, but in general the UI is just clogging up. I'd rather see some min-widths applied and get a scroll bar than let the UI turn into a mess. Refer to attachment.

I will add more as things come up.
      • 24,544 Posts
      Thank you for posting these, but in order for them to be fixed, they should be posted as separate issues here (after making sure they are not there already): https://github.com/modxcms/revolution/issues

Posted here in the Forums, they are almost certain to get lost.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 110 Posts
        Sure, but they told me to post here if they weren't major bugs.

To me these are just some UI/UX quirks.

And given almost 900 issues on github, that doesn't seem to work either apparently.
          • 24,544 Posts
          I hear you. wink

My experience is that stuff reported at GitHub will be dealt with eventually. Here in the forums -- not so much. TBH, I don't think the core developers have the time to keep up with all the Forum posts.
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting