We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 35 Posts
    This has been driving me crazy. I have at least two websites (both 2.4.2-pl) that are being affected. I'll submit a form, see my success message, FormIt is saving the submission in MODX, there's nothing in the error log, but no email I use receives anything (5% of the time it miraculously works for some reason). Some of the tests seem to take days to arrive. I opened my email this morning and found a few tests I sent on Friday. Here is my call for a very basic form:

[[!FormIt?
                    &hooks=`spam,FormItSaveForm,email`
                    &emailTo=`[email protected]`
                    &emailTpl=`email_contact`
                    &emailSubject=`You have received a contact submission from [[++site_url]]`
                    &emailFrom=`[email protected]`
                    &successMessage=`Your form has been submitted.`
                    &formName=`contact`
                    &validate=`
                    username:blank,
                    email:email:required,
                    fullname:required,
                    comments:required`
                  ]]

• 24,544 Posts
      Is the mail being forwarded through another server? I do this with one email address forwarded through Bluehost and it often takes a day or so to get through.

If not, maybe it's your own server. I think some servers sit on the mail until a certain amount piles up before sending it.

The fact that you get any email suggests that FormIt is set up correctly, so it's more likely a problem with the server's email system.

I've found that if I set MODX up to use SMTP through Gmail, the mail generally goes out quickly and reliably.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 35 Posts
        so it's more likely a problem with the server's email system.

That's what I figured. I manage a lot of MODX sites with the same host and no others are having issues. They said there was nothing wrong with the server's email, but who knows. I tried the SMTP thing with Gmail and it's working perfectly now, thanks for that suggestion. Still very strange as i've never had to resort to it before.
          • 24,544 Posts
          I'm glad you got it working. Messing with email is absolutely my least favorite thing to work on. wink

I'm working on integrating the Mailgun service into the Notify snippet. I just sent 4 emails to different addresses. The Mailgun logs show all four as delivered and none bounced, but only one got through.
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting