We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,145 Posts
    Say you have built a fantastic but ridiculously long list of properties for your plugin, snippet etc... and you want to import it in production site
    You click the "Export" button and bam!

Request-URI Too Large
    The requested URL's length exceeds the capacity limit for this server.

Now you are panicking because this has always worked for you, and you have developed many a thing like this.
    You google solutions to this error, they tell you to restart PHP ini, gini, and fini files ... some say a reboot, some say na.... impossible - server won't allow it.

You think Eureka - phpMyAdmin! You find the exact table, find say, your plugin, and the properties field ...
    You see that the code in there is a little less than gibberish - JSON's sister from another mother.
    You say oh well, lemme copy this exact thing to the other database in question - surely 'copy and paste' is panacea!

You refresh your production site and the plugin's properties now contain worse than rubbish ... jumbled garbage!
    You scratch part of your head bald ...

Well, I finally wrote a snippet called "getDATpropsNOW" to export my stuff, thank you very much!

[[!getDATpropsNOW]]
    $stress = $modx->getObject('modPlugin', array( 'name' => 'myInfamousPLUGIN' ));
    $stress = $stress->get('properties');
    $stress = json_encode($stress, JSON_PRETTY_PRINT);
    $stress = str_replace(array('[[',']]','type'),array('&_#91;&_#91;','&_#93;&_#93;','xtype'),$stress);
    //(remove underscore)
    return "<pre>".$stress."</pre>";

Open a resource with a base template and call that snippet inside.
    The result should be pretty pretty enough.
    Copy it all and paste in a new file myInfamousPLUGIN.js - then "IMPORT" that file in your production plugin.

This got all my required values- no complaint.
    $stress = str_replace(array('[[',']]','type'),array('&_#91;&_#91;','&_#93;&_#93;','xtype'),$stress);
    // (remove underscore) prevent any [[MODX tag]] from being parsed on the resource
    // convert the word "type" to "xtype" so that there are no issues

If you have better ways of doing this please share for all of us to benefit.

Cheers,
    - what is in a name? [ed. note: donshakespeare last edited this post 8 years ago.]
      TinymceWrapper: Complete back/frontend content solution.
      Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
      5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.
      • 1,145 Posts
      donshakespeare Reply #2, 8 years ago
      It also helps if you don't have special weird xters in your descriptions or property name/value , trust me, keep it simple!
      JSON_ENCODE will escape the xters, and these might cause trouble when importing. [ed. note: donshakespeare last edited this post 8 years ago.]
        Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
        5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.
        • 24,544 Posts
        Very nice. smiley

Another way to go would be to create a package with MyComponent, run ExportObjects, then Build, and upgrade the package on the production site. With this method you could package a lot of other stuff at the same time if you need to.

When I do work for clients, I often use MyComponent to create a package for the project and just email them the transport.zip file when I do upgrades.
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 1,145 Posts
          donshakespeare Reply #4, 8 years ago
          Excellent! MyComponent would have both the plugin and its default properties... did not cross my mind to use it.

...use MyComponent to create a package for the project and just email them the transport.zip file when I do upgrades.
          I have just now stolen your idea, mucho thanks!