We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 247 Posts
    I'm trying to find documentation on Static Elements (which seem strangely scarce).

A search for "Static Elements" from the home page of the docs returns:

"Search Results
    There were no search results for the search "Static Elements". Please try using more general terms to get more results."

However, after reading that Static Elements were introduced in 2.2, I went to that section of the docs and stumbled upon a few lines titled, "Static Elements" here: https://rtfm.modx.com/revolution/2.x/administering-your-site/upgrading-modx/upgrading-to-2.2.x#Upgradingto2.2.x-StaticElements.

Strange that the search doesn't pick it up.

(Google does better; a search for "modx docs 'static elements'", returns: https://rtfm.modx.com/revolution/2.x/administering-your-site/upgrading-modx/upgrading-to-2.2.x)

Static Elements were introduced in MODx 2.2 (Jan 2012). We're now on MODx 2.4.3 and it would be good if we could have some proper info on this.

Any tips on how to search the docs effectively?

Any other info on Static Elements out there?

This question has been answered by multiple community members. See the first response.

• discuss.answer
      • 24,544 Posts
      As far as I can tell, Static Elements are just missing from the docs except for what you found and this, which isn't much help.

The Forum search feature is notoriously flawed. For a general search, I usually do something like this at Google:

MODX Revolution searchTerms

For the Forums, you can to this:

site:forums.modx.com searchTerms

though, TBH, I have trouble remembering that and this works about as well:

modx forums searchTerms

See this: modx forums static elements
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 247 Posts
        Yes, I'm with you there Bob, and use "modx revo searchTerms" a lot.

I hadn't thought of "site:forums.modx.com searchTerms" or "modx forums searchTerms". They sound smarter but, strangely, are less productive in this case and don't even throw up the ../upgrading-to-2.2.x page!

So we've had a great new feature in MODx for the last 4 years, and no documentation.. What's the point?

I bang on about docs a lot but they are crucial. Who would buy a washing machine with no instructions? Or a TV, or software... I would love to see a one-year moratorium on new features while bugs and docs were sorted out. I don't think MODx is growing as fast as it should, and based on my own experience, and many posts I've read, I would guess that is because of poor documentation and initial user experience.
          • 24,544 Posts
          I agree, but who will write those docs?

If you'd like to contribute what you've discovered about static elements (or anything else), I'm sure Jay would be glad to set you up with credentials for the rtfm pages.
            My MODX Extras
            • 247 Posts
            It's an important question.

I would love to contribute. In fact I've been sent the credentials before, but I maintain so few modx sites, covering a wide range of functionality, that I just don't have the time to learn all the inner workings and then write docs, plus keep up with new versions. I spend most time trying to find out enough just to get my stuff working. It needs a fairly broad knowledge of the system to be able to write about even one aspect.

I would have thought that docs were an essential part of software production. If there were good solid docs on all of the publicised functions of MODx (such as Static Elements), I'm sure it would leave users with more time to be inventive and contribute to both docs (if they had to) and (more importantly) extras.

Are these docs the same ones that paying MODX Cloud users are provided with?...
              • 24,544 Posts
              Yes, everyone sees the same docs -- MODX Cloud is just a very deluxe hosting service for MODX. Like you, most of us just don't have time to work on the docs. The folks who work for MODX LLC (I'm not one of them), barely have time to work on the core code of MODX in between work that puts bread on the table.

The docs, and the posts on this Forum, were created by volunteers. If MODX were a commercial product, rather than a free Open-Source product, we'd be entitled to raise hell about the quality of the docs. Personally, I'm glad it's not, though everyone -- including the MODX LLC folks -- wishes the docs were better.

I should mention that your issue about static elements is unusual, partly because they are a relatively new feature. I've almost always been able to find the information I need about MODX features somewhere.

In case you're wondering, my book (mentioned in my sig.) also has no information about static elements, since they didn't exist at the time it was written.
                My MODX Extras
                • 247 Posts
                I would gladly pay a subscription for well-debugged and documented service, so I'm even more surprised that the docs are the same for paying customers.

The thing about documentation is that it has to work for newcomers. If the learning curve is too high (particularly if for no good reason), people will turn away and look elsewhere for a CMS. And there are plenty of them around these days. MODx's market share of CMSs is not great: <0.01%. While MODx staff advertise any notable results for MODx usage figures (eg "5% of market share in Russia"), whenever challenged on the global share, the answer always given is that MODx is for developers, not everybody, and isn't supposed to be as popular as Wordpress.

I just read a blog piece in https://modx.today entitled "Why isn't MODX more popular?". There's even a section in it, "Asking the Right Questions", but it never once mentions documentation. There is much of the usual stuff about why MODx is NOT meant to be popular, why it isn't so easy to discover etc. There's also a plea that the "company behind MODX doesn't have the budget or resources that Automattic has, making it harder to reach a large group of people with advertising".

So MODX DOES want to be more popular.

Ironically, documentation IS mentioned, but only in the "About the author" section: "the CEA (Chief Executive of Awsomeness") at modmore where he helps people doing more with MODX. He accomplishes this by providing premium extras with great support and documentation, and other initiatives meant to help MODXers around, like MODX.today.".

So documentation IS also valued by MODx staff. But why not MODx documentation?

In my experience, this author and all the other MODx team have done great things in producing this CMS. But after ~10 years, it is not going ballistic, like it should. There's been a lot of mutual back-slapping going on, but there's too much obsession with new features (I've been saying this for years). There's always so much effort to develop and launch new features with the result that (normal, not super) users like me are constantly on the back foot with new bugs and ever-out-of-date docs. I don't even NEED new features! The MODx team need sat down by their Mums and told that it is GOOD ENOUGH and to stop developing new features and get the bugs fixed and get the documentation overhauled!

Otherwise it will be overtaken by every other CMS out there.

Has there ever been any type of study into how effective the docs are? How long it takes complete novice users to set up a site for the first time? MODx should have a set of well-defined tests and run them at least once or twice a year with novice users. Basic sites with n-pages and features X, Y and Z shout be up and running within an hour with no other help than the docs.

New users need to have a good experience. Bad feedback goes out there and never goes away.

There is a huge amount of effort in the production of marketing and other MODX-related copy. In https://modx.com/blog there are 2-3 articles per month, mainly updtes about MODX Cloud. https://modx.today is crammed with interesting stuff (though I only discovered it today). It would seem logical to have similar regular effort in MODX documantation.

Missing a key feature entirely from the docs for FOUR years just aint good enough! Static Elements should have been in there as soon as it was released. Particularly as it was and has since been presented as a useful new feature. How many people have searched for that? And I might add that the screenshots on the Creating TVs page are nothing like the 2.3.5 I'm using.

It should be part of MODx's workflow to produce accurate and complete documentation for every feature added or updated. Even if these are dry technical descriptions, it doesn't matter, as long as they are accurate and complete, other people can fill them out into more readable text with section headers, examples and screenshots. It just has to originate from the developer in the first instance, as part of their deliverable. These initial docs can be published as "version 1" or whatever until they are tested and edited.

I'm not just having a moan here for my own sakes, but for MODX too. If there was less focus on the opinions of users that love MODX and more effort made to get feedback from those that don't, didn't, or couldn't, then MODX might start to take more of the market share it really should have.

~

BTW Bob, I do have your book, but rarely read it because I travel a lot and it is 2x the weight and 4x the size of my laptop! Why don't you publish it as a subscription-access website for folks like me? (Then it would be easier to update and correct too! smiley ).

As Michael Joseph points out in his comment under "Why isn't MODX more popular?": "Time is money to any web professional". If MODx is aimed at web professionals, and no-one can fugure out how to create good docs (like Wordpress do) then for goodness sakes let us pay!
                [ed. note: Gav last edited this post 8 years, 2 months ago.]
                • discuss.answer
                  I fully agree, but just want to make clear that I am no longer MODX staff, and that MODX.today is a community project.

Personally I think it might be too complex to get started updating the docs, because it starts with asking permission to edit. As a developer I would much rather see a simple github repository as source for the docs, and following work from the Russian community and other projects /services (circleci comes to mind) I'm thinking of trying that for modmore documentation next.
                    Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
                    • 247 Posts
                    Ah sorry Mark. I was really just quoting you as the handiest example of (what I thought was) a modx staff. I will try to read that blog site now that I've discovered it.

BTW, where are all the MODx developers these days? I seem to remember years ago there were always devs on the forum chatting with users about modx. Now I'm not sure who is.

I would love to see a dedicated staff editor handle docs. The initial tech docs would be done by each dev of course. The editor could then rewrite in 'house style', as well as quizz the dev (and the tester?) about anything that needed clarified/tested, while the iron was still hot (or harass them for their tech docs!). It would be great to have them up-to-date, version-specific*, with consistent style, depth, (edit: and examples!) and linking throughout. That would be an asset for MODx and would I'm sure grow the user community.

*https://forums.modx.com/thread/99522/modx-documentation#dis-post-538202 [ed. note: Gav last edited this post 8 years, 2 months ago.]
                    • No worries, a lot of people still seem to think I'm on the MODX payroll even though that hasn't been the case in over three years laugh

I've created a new Static Elements page in the docs with the most important information about this particular feature: https://rtfm.modx.com/revolution/2.x/developing-in-modx/basic-development/static-elements

There's also a special repo at https://github.com/modxcms/docs/issues that allows people to request changes.
                        Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.