We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1 Posts
    Hello all to all! Long-time modx guy here, and I have been tasked with looking into using alias url's for a custom extra that was developed by another developer for SEO friendliness.
    The extra is a pure custom extra with it's own database. URL's to view elements generated by the extra contain query strings. What needs to happen is that the query strings are replaced with a 'friendly url'.

Obviously the table will need to be modified to add a field for an alias - would like to take advantage of modx data parsing so this will be url friendly (spaces replaced with dashes, no special characters, etc).

The big issue for me here is how to properly leverage core modx functionality to write the url's properly for all links based on the alias value set in the custom table, and then to parse and display the correct page based on the alias - being able to leave the current query string conditions in place as per the extra development that preceeds myself.

Any tips or insights on this process would be greatly appreciated. As well I can give more details, just wanted to get a shout-out going to the community and see if anyone has tackled this before. Given the world we're in now with SEO being such an important part of web development, I was hoping someone would have tackled this kind of problem before.

Thanks in advance!