We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!

Answered Installation

• 437 Posts
    Just done a fresh install of Revo 2.4, and not sure what I have done wrong. When I navigate to www.pawsforwildlife.co.uk/setup I get the 1and1 page (my host) not the install/setup page. Also tried www.pawsforwildlife.co.uk/install. I have uploaded the unzipped modx file into the root so not sure where I have made my mistake. I read the install modx wiki info but still not sure...

This question has been answered by BobRay. See the first response.

[ed. note: distant_smile last edited this post 8 years, 3 months ago.]
      www.PawsForWildlife.co.uk
      www.Borntobrick.co.uk
      • 437 Posts
      I made the same mistake back wit hEVo, just can't remember what it was. Eek!
        www.Borntobrick.co.uk
        • 24,544 Posts
        If you directly unzip the file in the MODX root directory, it puts everything under a directory named for the version. You can either move everything up one level or just delete that directory and start over using the technique described here: http://bobsguides.com/modx-upgrade-faq.html. I'd use the second method.

There's also a script you can use that will download the files and put them in the right place. It's available here: https://github.com/sottwell/installer
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 437 Posts
          Hi Bob, I downloaded Revo and renamed the folder modx2 for my own purposes after I unzipped it. I copied the folder and pasted into my c: folder. I'm sure this is what I have done before which is why I cant understand where I have gone wrong?
            www.Borntobrick.co.uk
            • 437 Posts
            So on my PC I have - C:/modx2/all unzipped modx files....Yet I still get my 1and1 webpage instead of the Revolution setup/install page?. Surely I just need to enter www.pawsforwildlife.co.uk/setup?

Any help appreciated. Confused by your post Bobray as I have uploaded the unzipped files to the root?
            Regards,

DS
              www.Borntobrick.co.uk
              • 953 Posts
              This sounds familiar - it's a long while back, but if I remember correctly you had the same problem back then

This is a guess, but I think it may be the problem:

Have you changed the domains destination in the 1&1 control panel - telling it the new home of the domain ?

If you are installing to the root but the domain is mapped to a folder it won't work

Example:
              Root contains 3 folders

Folder-1 = domain.com
              Folder-2 = myotherdomain.com
              Folder-3 = subdomain.domain.com

In the 1&1 panel
              domain.com is mapped to Folder-1
              myotherdomain.com is mapped to Folder-2
              subdomain.domain.com is mapped to Folder-3

If your domain is mapped to a folder that isn't on the server, you will always get an error and obviously won't be able to install anything

Go into the 1&1 control panel - view domains - check where your domain is pointing to. If it is pointing to the root "/" then there is a different problem, but if it's pointing to something else, ensure that that is on the server, or change the destination to the root.
                • 1,572 Posts
                Also log in via ftp and see if there is a index.html file, if so delete it and try setup again
                  • 953 Posts
                  Even if there is an "index.html" in the root, navigating directly to "domain.com/setup/" will still let you install

The headers say it all:

domain.co.uk = 403 + 404 because of error handler
                  domain.co.uk/setup/ = 404 - default 1&1 Sedo parking page is shown - this page is not physicaly on the users server

403 in this case simply says the site isn't there / isn't configured correctly
                  • discuss.answer
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    Just to double check, the folder that the domain is pointing to should contain the manager and setup directories (among others).
                      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                      My MODX Extras
                      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                      • 437 Posts
                      Thanks guys. I din't have it in the root, I had an additional level.
                        www.Borntobrick.co.uk