We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 5 Posts
    I've got a bunch of old sites I still maintain that are in Evo, are are too large and too infrequently edited to justify upgrading to Revo. I recently updated them all to Evo 1.0.15.

At some point after that, TinyMCE no longer displays a menu. It is available to pick as an editor, and the context window shows rich text, but the menu area is mostly blank. The menu contains only two plain text links and a button for YouTube. The text links are two functional (but transparent) dropdown menus to control text style and font size. I've attached screenshots of both. The Youtube button functions as intended.

UPDATE: The problem seems to be that TinyMCE can't find its skins. I get these errors when switching to tinyMCE from the plain text editor:
    GET http://www.churchofasphodel.org/assets/plugins/tinymce/tiny_mce/themes/advanced/skins//ui.css 404 tiny_mce.js?232972:1 
    GET http://www.churchofasphodel.org/assets/plugins/tinymce/tiny_mce/themes/advanced/skins//content.css 404 (Not Found) tiny_mce.js?232972:1

So that should be .../skins/default/ui.css

I don't know where I can set that parameter. The options in the plugin configuration page have "Web Theme" but the options to not match the names of the folders in the skins directory, and selecting them does nothing.

The behavior is the same for other people accessing my site from elsewhere, not just me.

I attempted to fix this by deleting and reinstalling TinyMCE, which seemed to work, except the image picker (kcfinder) cannot insert images. The image button in tinyMCE opens the image dialog, and the button there opens the image picker, but in the image picker, double clicking an image does nothing. I can select an image, but nothing happens. Clicking an image highlights it, and right-clicking displays the context menu, but none of the options copy the location of the image back to the image dialog.

I did not know where to go from here, so I tried it on a fresh MODx install. It is the same. I uploaded the freshly downloaded copy of 1.0.15 from the MODx site, extracted them into an empty folder, and ran the install using an empty database. The only non-default setting I used is SET NAMES for the database, because SET CHARACTER SET gives me error "Checking database: failed - database collation mismatch; use SET NAMES or choose utf8_unicode_ci". I did not alter or reinstall the tinyMCE plugin on the fresh install.

ETA: Any ideas as to what could be causing this? I realize that for most people this just works, but I have no idea what might be causing this to fail for me, doing a standard install.

Description of Problem: TinyMCE does not load its menu properly.

Steps to Reproduce: I can reproduce it consistently by installing MODx in a new directory with a new database, and trying to edit a page with tinyMCE. I would not expect other to be able to reproduce it.

Expected Outcome: A menu of formatting buttons should appear above the content window.

• MODX Version: 1.0.15
    • PHP Version: 5.2.17
    • Database (MySQL, SQL Server, etc) Version: (This is all the version info I could find from phpMyadmin. Not sure which of these is relevant)
    • Database Server - Server version: 5.5.42-37.1 - Percona Server (GPL), Release 37.1, Revision 727
      Web server - cpsrvd 11.48.4.8 Database client version: libmysql - 5.1.73 PHP extension: mysqli
      phpMyAdmin - Version information: 4.3.8, latest stable version: 4.5.3.1
    • Additional Server Info:
    • Installed MODX Add-ons: NONE. Only what is included in default installation.
    • Error Log Contents: (attach as file if it’s too large) Not sure where to find this in Evo. All the stuff I can find online (googling "modx evolution error log") is for Revo. The System Event Log found under reports in the Manager is empty.

This question has been answered by joshuaxd. See the first response.

[ed. note: joshuaxd last edited this post 8 years, 3 months ago.]
      • 953 Posts
      I just carried out a fresh install of 1.0.15 and have no problems whatsoever

All of the default buttons etc. are there, as can be seen in the attached image
      • discuss.answer
        • 5 Posts
        Okay, I got it working. Not sure why it wasn't working out of the box though. I deleted tinymce and installed an older version (2.1.1), and copied over the "Web Plugins" line from the plugin settings to the MODx configuration settings. That seems to do it.