We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 173 Posts
    So, all of a sudden I'm unable to log in. Everything was working fine. I uninstalled then reinstalled articles and poof I can't get to the manager. The site still works though.

Error 500
    The website encountered an error while retrieving http://satollicarpet.com/manager/. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.

I have cleared cache, reinstalled modx at least 3 times. I maually rmoved articles along with all extras associated with it. JS & CSS is set to 0 in the database. Checked the config.inc.php for correct information. I also repaired database.

I'm stumped. Any other ideas?

PS, I cleared browser cache and I tried to access from and computer and a different network.
      Everything I know I learned on the internet. Saved me thousands in College tuition,
      • 24,544 Posts
      The .htaccess file is the most common cause of 500 errors. There's one in the root and sometimes one in the Manager folder. Have you changed either one lately?

Do you have the latest version of MODX?

It sounds like you've eliminated most of the possible causes on your end, at that point, it's most likely something your host did, like a PHP upgrade, change in the file structure, new php.ini, or new mod_security rules. It's also possible that the database is overloaded and is timing out or rejecting calls from the Manager.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
      • It's articles. Try and disable it in the database. It is the plugin with the ID 13 or ID3, cant tell exactly.

Bob, are you following? You might make more of the info.
          • 24,544 Posts
          Articles is notoriously cranky about uninstalling and reinstalling because of the subpackages (Quip, Archivist, etc.). I remember one site where I had to search all fields of the DB for the word 'quip' after uninstalling Articles.

Guido's suggestion is a good one (disabling the Articles plugin).

You might also check the existence, permissions, and ownership of the core/components/articles/model directory and below.
            My MODX Extras
            • 67 Posts
            Hi folks I am getting a 500 on /manager on a site. It is working on the front end.

Here's what's in the error log:

[08-Apr-2018 20:35:58 America/Chicago] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to a member function setProperties() on null in /home/XXXXXX/public_html/home/core/model/modx/modmanagerresponse.class.php:115
            Stack trace:
            #0 /home/XXXXXX/public_html/home/core/model/modx/modmanagerrequest.class.php(178): modManagerResponse->outputContent(Array)
            #1 /home/XXXXXX/public_html/home/core/model/modx/modmanagerrequest.class.php(126): modManagerRequest->prepareResponse()
            #2 /home/XXXXXX/public_html/home/manager/index.php(75): modManagerRequest->handleRequest()
            #3 {main}
              thrown in /home/XXXXXX/public_html/home/core/model/modx/modmanagerresponse.class.php on line 115

Any ideas?

Thanks.
              • 67 Posts
              BTW...running modx 2.2.13 on the existing server on php 5.4. The new server is php 5.6
                • 67 Posts
                So I don't recall on what site I got that error 3 weeks ago...but I got the same errors on another site running PHP 7 and the error went away when I switched the site to PHP 5.6.
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  PHP 7 throws 500 errors for things that would pass in earlier versions of PHP.

Upgrading MODX might also have fixed the error.
                    My MODX Extras